Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Basketball Thread

Joel Embiid dominated last night in LA, putting up 46 points - a career high and the most by a Sixer in 11 years. Ben Simmons also was one rebound away from a triple-double.

An interesting stat: Lonzo Ball's points scored at Staples Center this year: 52
    Joel Embiid's points scored at Staples Center this year: 78

LaVar's son was.....less than impressive.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There was a ton of young talent on the floor last night, but the quality of play overall was ...not good.

Philly trades former high draft picks Jalil Okafor, Nick Stauskas and a 2nd round pick to Brooklyn for Trevor Booker. Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Philly trades former high draft picks Jalil Okafor, Nick Stauskas and a 2nd round pick to Brooklyn for Trevor Booker. Wtf?
    With the emergence of Embiid, Okafor was the odd man out. Good trade for the Sixers. For both teams, really. The Nets are a mess and will have an opportunity to make Okafor into a bona-fide NBA talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    With the emergence of Embiid, Okafor was the odd man out. Good trade for the Sixers. For both teams, really. The Nets are a mess and will have an opportunity to make Okafor into a bona-fide NBA talent.
    Yeah, but Booker is a 7 year veteran who is at best a role player. How is giving up a chip like Okafor for middling talent a "good trade?"

Yeah, but Booker is a 7 year veteran who is at best a role player. How is giving up a chip like Okafor for middling talent a "good trade?"
    They got rid of salary. Booker will give them good minutes in their scheme, I think.

Okafor's value plummeted, that's the problem. He was considered an anachronism even if he was going to be good at what he does. If he's not going to be superlative at what he does, his role on most teams in the league would come into question.

The Sixers front-office has been mostly making good moves of late. I have to believe that if they made this deal, that it was the best they were going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    They got rid of salary. Booker will give them good minutes in their scheme, I think.

Okafor's value plummeted, that's the problem. He was considered an anachronism even if he was going to be good at what he does. If he's not going to be superlative at what he does, his role on most teams in the league would come into question.

The Sixers front-office has been mostly making good moves of late. I have to believe that if they made this deal, that it was the best they were going to get.
    Maybe. I don't known what Philly's cap situation is, but he was still on his rookie contract, so he shouldn't have been too much of a liability. More likely that they had decided not to re-sign him, and wanted to at least get something for him. I would have expected to get more, though.

Curious what people think of the Blake Griffin trade to the Pistons yesterday? It pretty much came as a total shocker her in Michigan. It does not seem to be looked at all that favorably by the press here, although I am sure Griffin will move some tickets. Not sure another big guy with injury issues is what Detroit needs, but they have really fallen off since the beginning of the season, so this might give them a shot at a playoff run.
    As for Griffin……as I posted on Facebook. Moving from sunny L.A. to Detroit in January is going to be a bit of a culture shock.

FEAR THE DEER!!

Jabari Parker came back after a year yesterday and scored 12 points & had a steal in 15 min. on the floor. Bucks also picked up Sean Kilpatrick, who was averaging 12.1 w/ the Nets.

Bucks could have 5 guys on the court that have scored more than 40 in a game now.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

that Giannis dunk was the craziest thing I've ever seen

https://twitter.com/SBNationNBA/stat...77045055934464
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Wade traded to Miami. Eh, whatever. He'll retire as a Heater, as it should be.

Pistons did two more trades today that no one saw coming. They have not lost a game since Griffin joined last week. 5 in a row so far. They play Blake's old team tomorrow night.

What a mess in Cleveland...

I think they were the clear winners of the trade deadline - their roster is both better now and better poised for the future. I have never seen a team turnover so many players in one day before, but if any team needed to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What a mess in Cleveland...
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I think they were the clear winners of the trade deadline - their roster is both better now and better poised for the future. I have never seen a team turnover so many players in one day before, but if any team needed to do it...
    It's getting good reviews here. The window had clearly closed, and the team was old and slow. Chemistry was horrible, (the less said about Isaiah Thomas, the better) and the players seemed to be disregarding the head coach. They've gotten younger and more athletic, and that was job one. They got bigger and they got guys who play defense. Will they jell in time for the playoffs? Who knows? I think they can get back to the finals now, but probably still not beat Golden St. Will be a lot more fun to watch, because before they looked like dead men walking. (Not running.)

They broke into the Cavaliers game broadcast tonight to show Dwyane Wade's return to Miami. The Cavaliers sent him back to the Heat for virtually nothing. I think it was a protected 2nd rounder that they'll never collect on. A very classy move by the Cavaliers front office and owner.

Don't think I've seen a single HEAT game this season. I don't have cable, or WiFi and I'm not gonna watch at the pubs at 9-10pm on weeknights or even on weekends. I'll catch whatever I can during the playoffs.

That said, I'm glad Wade is back. I expect the Heat to make the playoffs but I doubt they'll do any damage. Wade came back to retire. He won't hurt the team but I don't think he'll make too much of a difference either. We'll see. But glad that he'll retire back home. He's one of the few sports stars left in this town (or the only star left).

They broke into the Cavaliers game broadcast tonight to show Dwyane Wade's return to Miami. The Cavaliers sent him back to the Heat for virtually nothing. I think it was a protected 2nd rounder that they'll never collect on. A very classy move by the Cavaliers front office and owner.
    Is it pretty much a forgone conclusion that LeBron is leaving after this year?

Is it pretty much a forgone conclusion that LeBron is leaving after this year?
    No. Both Brian Windhorst and Rachel Nichols have reported that LeBron wants to stay with Cleveland. Doesn't mean he will. He's always thinking legacy, and he's chasing Jordan. For him to stay, he has to see a chance to win titles. Of course, that applies to where he might go as well.

Ooofff. Cavs blowing out Boston.

Ooofff. Cavs blowing out Boston.
    Loved it! Way, way beyond expectations. These guys aren't even used to playing together yet, and they're without Kevin Love...There is life in C-town!

Awesome. Cavs and Warriors Finals............again.

Will they jell in time for the playoffs?
    it appears so, yes

its only one game of course (and Boston played as sloppy as I've ever seen them in the Brad Stevens era), but yeah, I haven't seen the Cavs look like that all season. will definitely be watching them tonight (at least, when the Bucks are on commercial :P)

don't bank on Cavs-Warriors again, though - the Raptors are starting to look like the strongest team in the East and I think Houston can take out GSW - if nothing else that will be a massively entertaining series

as for LeBron...seemed like a foregone conclusion that he was gone after this year, but after those trades...who knows? Cleveland seems to have some kind of future now, and we know LeBron loves the city. if he left...I know everyone is saying Lakers but I think San Antonio would be the best fit...I mean if I were an aging superstar, that's the sort of coach and organization I'd want. at the same time, he'd be kind of a fool to leave the East...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Well now, Roseanne Barr and Carl Lewis can breath a sigh of relief.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Well now, Roseanne Barr and Carl Lewis can breath a sigh of relief.
    I spent the entire time enduring Fergie's howling trying to figure out what specific drugs she was on.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman