Thread: Incognito

Incognito

A buddy just lent me the Incognito 30th anniversary concerts at the O2 of this band

Rather unaware of this band (actually, I'd never heard of them before... and Gnosis had no album entered at all ...), they gave a fairly good concert with a bunch of guest and a string section. Fairly good mix of jazz-funk, soul, Latin/rock/jazz, etc...
    A bit too much vocals for me (only one instrumental in the first disc of the DVD)

Somehow, by that performance, I'm kind of surprised anyone would call them acid-jazz, though. Checked RYM and though they're an early 80's band, they didn't have a second album until the 90's ... this is odd.

Anyone can fill me in on these guys ? History, which albums to listen first, etc...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

If you like jazzy soul with a heavy dose of funk you will love their albums. John Paul "Bluey" Maunick, their leader, producer, main composer and guitarist is a master of the genre. He usually uses a variety of musicians and vocalists, both male and female, but you always get at least a couple of tasty instrumentals thrown in and the horns are always hot!
    I think they have done about 15 albums now and it is difficult to choose a favourite. Beneath the Surface, 100 degrees and Rising and Adventures in Black Sunshine are some of my favourites but they are all worth a listen if you like this sort of stuff. If you have it they are all on iTunes so I would preview them there to see if they are your cup of tea.
    I don't think they play live much but I would love to see them!