Thread: Caligula's Horse

Caligula's Horse

If you haven't heard this band, then I urge you to check them out. They are a progressive/alternative rock band from Australia, headed by my friend Jim Grey. He's got such an amazing voice, one of the better voices I've heard currently. They are releasing their latest album "Bloom" this Friday, which will be their third full length. I got a chance to check it out early and write about it on my site, which you can view here if you want.

But what I want to know is this: Have you heard any of their albums? If so, what'd you think?

Suspended
    That track's too heavy for me, but I imagine lots of PE members would enjoy it.
    There are Porcupine Tree tracks that are kind of similar to this, and they tend to be my least favourite in the PT canon, but they are only a small minority.

I've never heard Caligula's Horse before, or even heard OF them, but they sound somewhat in the same vein as Karnivool (who I also don't like much, while respecting their talent).

Incidentally, this copying of album names has got to stop. It's only a year or so since Beach House put out an album of the same name. It can't be that hard to think of an original album name. "Caligula's Horse" is a fine original name for the band; they could have exploited the horse theme for their album names.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    "Caligula's Horse" is a fine original name for the band; they could have exploited the horse theme for their album names.
    Okay, I'll play:

The Riders of Rohan (Debut invites somewhat unflattering Pomp-Rock comparisons. Subsequently deleted and disavowed)
    Back In The Saddle (Slightly apologetic sophomore effort after a three-year lay-off and label change)
    The Boxer Rebellion (Misjudged left-field detour into Orwellian political consciousness)
    Just Horse'in Around (Please-like-us-again live album targeted mainly at a Heavy Metal audience)
    Tianma (Named after the celestial horse constellation, this well-received sci-fi concept album breathed new life into the band)
    Alpha Equulei (Ill-fated follow-up fails to repeat the success of Tianma ... later comes to be regarded by fans as career high)
    Pegasus (download-only live album from the band's catastrophic break-up tour, thinly disguised as a trilogy conclusion)
    All The Pretty Horses (Career retrospective)
    Incitatus (New label, new line-up, favourable and reapprasing reviews)
    Hill Figures (Folk-inflected double album with tracks named after the chalk horses of Wiltshire. A head-scratcher for the band's Australian fanbase.)

I like their stuff and I'm looking forward to the new one next week...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

I think I need to spend some time with these guys because what I've heard by them I've really liked.

So many bands, so little time.
    The Prog Corner

Looking forward to this one; I've got the previous two albums which I like quite a bit. I love the vocals and guitar tone.

CH is #1 on my list. Jim Grey is in the top 5 vocalists, right up there with Einar Solberg and a few other select group. Sam Vallen is massively talented guitarist and composer. The Tide, The Thief was a masterpiece and I spent months and months trying to get a copy. Their first one wasn't as striking, maybe apart from album closer Vanishing Rites, which was worth the price of admission on its own. Bloom is my biggest anticipation of the year.

Incitatus.

Missed this thread when it started. Just posted the new video on the now playing thread in o.t. Might as well post it here too. Great stuff!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Moments From Ephemeral City is my first introduction to CH, and it remains my personal favorite, mainly because of the focus in more instrumentation, and less vocal oriented music, the last cd The Tide, The Thief & River's End saeemed to be leaning more towards the modern alternative metal sound, while i like how the band does that style, it pales for my tastes anyway compared to Moments. I'll be interested to hear the newest material, they do have some very good talent on board.

The new concept album from Caligula's Horse, "In Contact". (September 15th, 2017)

I'm in.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

How can it be prog without keyboards (he asked only half-facetiously)?

I'd place it in a "technical metal" category or something like that. But yes, Jim Grey is a very good singer, which is rare in this genre.

I enjoy these guys quite a bit and am looking forward to their next. The Tide, The Thief, ... is very, very good.

An arrogant ruler that wanted to belittle the senators of his country so he made his horse one. A little too close to 2017 for my tastes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Missed this thread when it started. Just posted the new video on the now playing thread in o.t. Might as well post it here too. Great stuff!
    NZ countryside, too green for Oz...

bring on that 16 min epic... cant wait

Just received "In Contact". So far, so very fucking good.

I just listened to a few tracks on YT because I like the album cover. Never heard of them before. Worthy of further exploration.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Are beards mandatory in this band? Sounds pretty good.