Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moon Safari UK Yes support

Moon Safari UK Yes support

I see in the UK press adverts today that Moon Safari are listed as support for the UK Yes tour. It's a band I've not really listened to much. I've seen Yes quite a lot but can't recall ever having seen them with a support.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    I see in the UK press adverts today that Moon Safari are listed as support for the UK Yes tour. It's a band I've not really listened to much. I've seen Yes quite a lot but can't recall ever having seen them with a support.
    Congratulations to the Moonies for landing such a prestigious support slot. They really deserve to break out of the prog ghetto and this might get them some mainstream visibility.

You'll like them a lot by the way...

I've seen Yes quite a lot but can't recall ever having seen them with a support.
    I've seen them with openers Porcupine Tree, Kansas, Peter Frampton, Styx, Toto, Syd Arthur, Donovan and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more. Moon Safari is a good choice.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Moon Safari is a GREAT choice as an opener. Any Yes fan who isn't familiar is in for a treat.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yes haven't had a support in the UK since the 70's. Since this a 'two album tour' I guess Yesshows are getting shorter..? Looking forward to seeing the Moonies though!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They'll be on Cruise to the Edge - I'm hoping they don't conflict with anything else I was planning to see, so I can check out their set.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    I've seen them with openers Porcupine Tree, Kansas, Peter Frampton, Styx, Toto, Syd Arthur, Donovan and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more. Moon Safari is a good choice.
    Alan Parsons opened for them on the "Open Your Eyes" tour. I know, because the promoter printed the wrong start time and I ended up missing it. I was very upset as I was going through a heavy Alan Parsons phase at the time.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Alan Parsons Project and Dream Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Alan Parsons opened for them on the "Open Your Eyes" tour. I know, because the promoter printed the wrong start time and I ended up missing it. I was very upset as I was going through a heavy Alan Parsons phase at the time.
    That happened to me when Peter Gabriel did his first leg of the New Blood tour, when that backup singer opened for him. I was so bummed because I was sitting two blocks away just eating wings.

Moon Safari imho, is one of those bands that if you first hear them, whether you like their music or not, you can't help but notice that while their music certainly falls into the prog umbrella, their vocals (4 part harmony is normal, and they've done up to 6 part). It's evident (to me) that their vocal director (also keyboards and choirboy vox in the harmony mix) is brilliant. Don't even think he's 30 yet, and you can hear at least the Hi-Los, 4 Freshman, Lambert,Hendricks & Ross, Yes and the Beach Boys when he's writing harmony parts.

I love them, but I can completely understand why many of my friends are in the "meh, they can sing, but it's all too syrupy" camp. They even wrote & recorded a song called "Sugar Band" that was somehow self-effacing and at the same time had a GFY! vibe.

Very good choice for Yesfans.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Moon Safari imho, is one of those bands that if you first hear them, whether you like their music or not, you can't help but notice that while their music certainly falls into the prog umbrella, their vocals (4 part harmony is normal, and they've done up to 6 part). It's evident (to me) that their vocal director (also keyboards and choirboy vox in the harmony mix) is brilliant. Don't even think he's 30 yet, and you can hear at least the Hi-Los, 4 Freshman, Lambert,Hendricks & Ross, Yes and the Beach Boys when he's writing harmony parts.

I love them, but I can completely understand why many of my friends are in the "meh, they can sing, but it's all too syrupy" camp. They even wrote & recorded a song called "Sugar Band" that was somehow self-effacing and at the same time had a GFY! vibe.

I was in the meh camp at first, but more listenings pushed me past that. However, seeing them live really did it for me. They are really good live - much better than I'd expected.

I've been listening to more Moon Safari lately, and now really looking forward to their sets on CTTE, especially one night they play a midnight set on deck. As long as the weather cooperates, that should be great!

While they don't really sound anything like Camel, I somehow get a really mellow, widdly-widdly vibe from them that reminds me of Camel, with the harmony vocals on top. There's just enough free time before their set to grab a couple of quick drinks to relax me for the trip to the Moon...

What a great double bill. This should really help increase Moon Sarari's footprint and don't be surprised if they outplay Yes (or at least outsing them). I think a lot of Yes fans will be in for a huge surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've been listening to more Moon Safari lately, and now really looking forward to their sets on CTTE, especially one night they play a midnight set on deck. As long as the weather cooperates, that should be great!

While they don't really sound anything like Camel, I somehow get a really mellow, widdly-widdly vibe from them that reminds me of Camel, with the harmony vocals on top. There's just enough free time before their set to grab a couple of quick drinks to relax me for the trip to the Moon...
    They put on a good live show. I liked them prior to seeing them, but was surprised a bit at just how much I liked their set. They should have a good energy for a midnight show.

I've already pencilled in both shows on CTTE too - that'll bring the number of times I've seen them live up to 6. Excellent band and a first rate choice as a Yes support. It'll be nice to see them on a big stage.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Wow!!! I love LH&R. I think most Prog fans would dig their vocals. One of my all-time favorites. And "Cloudburst" is one of my favorite songs ever.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    I've already pencilled in both shows on CTTE too - that'll bring the number of times I've seen them live up to 6. Excellent band and a first rate choice as a Yes support. It'll be nice to see them on a big stage.
    There was a rumor they were going to be opening for them in 2014 during the summer tour. That would have been an excellent choice and I was really hoping to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    You know they're only playing on the pool stage on CTTE, right? Which looks like it's not tiny, but not that big either.

The bands I've seen open for YES are the Alan Parsons Project, Styx and Toto. The first time I saw them I think it was a Popeye cartoon.

When Yes played in Madtown early last year, Kay & I were both mightily impressed with their opening act, Canterbury kids Syd Arthur. I was impressed enough to buy both of their cds.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The bands I've seen open for YES are the Alan Parsons Project, Styx and Toto. The first time I saw them I think it was a Popeye cartoon.
    BG tour they played that Popyeye cartoon.. remember it well

Evidently, Moon Safari is out with the exception of one show-per Yes Official's Facebook page.

They're still playing the London show but not the others. Imagine that.

Blasphemy on this forum I know, but fuck it.

flowerking posted earlier about MS at least outsinging Yes, & possibly outplaying them.

I too don't know about outplaying them, but afaic, Moon Safari annihilates Yes vocally (& that's comparing today's MS to Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge era Yes vocals).

They're still playing the London show but not the others. Imagine that.
    Although in saying that there must be loads of UK prog bands who would cut their right arms off to support Yes. I'm going to the Glasgow show. Can you imagine local bands Abel Ganz or even Pallas supporting Yes. What a show that would be.