Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tangerine Dream - Cyclone

I'm not surprised to hear Herr Froese didn't like Cyclone, given that was the only Virgin era album not at all represented on the Tangents boxset from the early 90's.

I recall when TD was interviewed in Keyboard magazine in the early 80's (I think right around the time Tangram came out, as I think Herr Schmoelling had just joined the group), either Herr Froese or Herr Franke said that Cyclone was an experiment that didn't work. I forget who it was who said that part of the problem was having a full time drummer and a reedsman/vocalist. I guess they felt that having such musicians meant they had to continuously accommodate them, ie everything had to have drums and either woodwinds or vocals, whereas I think the Chris and Edgar wanted to move into areas where that might not be appropriate.

If you even compare Force Majeure, where Herr Krieger (or Krüger, or however it's correctly spelled) was still in the band, to what they did on the very next album, Tangram, it's pretty obvious that maybe Edgar and Chris wanted to do stuff that didn't rely on drums so much. On the other hand, if you listen to some of the subsequent albums, like on Logos or White Eagle, there's quite a few things where live drums would have sounded fantastic (but there's also sections where the drummer would be sitting on his ass, waiting for his cue).

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I think the reason he came to TD’s attention was his involvement in Steamhammer, who were for some reason phenomenally popular in Germany. Probably because of the Yardbirds connection, everything Yardbirds-related was phenomenally popular in Germany (Renaissance’s Illusion was originally released only there, for example).

maybe you're onto something there, but Germany remains fidel a lot more... MMEB still exists today quasi solely because of Germany... They play around 100 (if not more) concerts a year there, and maybe 10/15 in the rest of the world...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just for saying...Tangerine Dream didn't discover Steve Jolliffe circa Cyclone. Jolliffe was a member of the early TD in the 60's, prior to Electronic Meditation. At least a portion of his first run with the band overlapped with Klaus Schulze.

http://www.stevejolliffe.net/archive-1/interview-6/
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    At least a portion of his first run with the band overlapped with Klaus Schulze.
    Righty-O! Edgar, Steve and Klaus were a trio together, but not for long. Steve split and I assume Conrad was the guy who replaced him.

Steve Joliffe has released a new album which he calls "a dedicated progression of the Tangerine Dream Cyclone album".

Says Steve on his website: "I have been amazed by the faithful support from the 'Cyclone' followers. First recorded nearly 40 years ago and the frenzy still keeps growing. Back in 1978 Edgar felt that TD needed to reach a larger audience and asked me to think of something that would pull in more followers. My new direction was a little shocking for some and inspiring for others. Most of all it took me on a journey that deserved a devoted progression. So here I am bringing back those magic days to feed those hungry souls that demand more."

http://www.stevejolliffe.net/store/cyclone-spheres/

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar Froese
    from

A few parts I like, but since the end of March '78 I haven't listened to that record anymore, and I never will."
    For the record, I recall reading once that Edgar never listened to any of the albums, once they were done mixing them. So him saying "I'll never listen to Cyclone again", doesn't really say much.

Banned
    A kitsch album indeed.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 09-26-2016 at 02:24 AM.