Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jane Getter- Next Fusion God? Could it be?

Banned

Jane Getter- Next Fusion God? Could it be?

I have to admit I never bothered to give her music the time of day until this clip (which I liked). I naively thought she was a smooth jazz artist. Nothing groundbreaking or game changing about her playing or composing on this track but it's still really good, solid fusion. I am quite likely to pick up one of her CDs especially one with Adam Holzman on it.

I believe Adam is on all, being not only her keyboarder but also her husband.
    I bought her first one, which was nice. The second one on Holdsworth's Alternity-label never got my attention. This one sounds nice too, although I rather hear Holzman's own work (especially his first couple of albums) ;-)

I'm replying against my better judgment, because I hate to say discouraging words about a fellow musician, but I found myself unable to let it go.

I didn't think she was that good, let alone a "fusion god." Her playing was as tentative as she looked while performing. Kind of sloppy and not much in the way of feel or tone. At one point, I couldn't tell if she was trying to play "outside" or just wasn't finding the notes she was looking for, but whatever it was, it wasn't working, at least not for me. The tune wasn't very interesting either. I checked out a few other videos just to see if maybe she was having a bad night on this one, but they all left me with the same impression. There's a lot of really great fusion guitar players around these days and sorry to say, but I don't think she's one of them. As always, ymmv.

I'm still tempted to hit "cancel" because I don't feel good about writing a post like this. But hell, it's just one guy's opinion after all. If she sounds good to you, she IS good. To you.

I might add I tweaked the OPs subject line and changed it from a declaration to a question because the way was worded originally was a bit boastful without much to back it up. No worries, Ernie.

I feel like Ernie about this artist, she would have a hard time being a god, let alone among the godesses of fusion guitar, for me anyway, Susan Weinert, Nori Bucci, Jennifer Batten, Nili Brosh, Leni Stern, Joyce Cooling,

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'm replying against my better judgment, because I hate to say discouraging words about a fellow musician, but I found myself unable to let it go.

I didn't think she was that good, let alone a "fusion god." Her playing was as tentative as she looked while performing. Kind of sloppy and not much in the way of feel or tone. At one point, I couldn't tell if she was trying to play "outside" or just wasn't finding the notes she was looking for, but whatever it was, it wasn't working, at least not for me. The tune wasn't very interesting either. I checked out a few other videos just to see if maybe she was having a bad night on this one, but they all left me with the same impression. There's a lot of really great fusion guitar players around these days and sorry to say, but I don't think she's one of them. As always, ymmv.

I'm still tempted to hit "cancel" because I don't feel good about writing a post like this. But hell, it's just one guy's opinion after all. If she sounds good to you, she IS good. To you.
    I listened to the video posted above and had the exact same reaction. I did sort of like the song, though it wasn't anything particularly new, and the keyboard player was pretty good. But her soloing was pretty weak and sloppy, and her tone was too muffled for my taste. May have been a bad night or whatever, but this didn't particularly impress me or inspire me to dig further.

Bill

I also enjoyed the song but didn't think much of her lead guitar playing. Her slower parts of her solo were nothing special and her faster parts seemed more mechanical than feel. I'll check more of her stuff out though to see if its any better. Like I said, I liked the song.

The electric piano comping and riffing was exemplary. It's sort of set up a call and response sort of format, but the guitarist generally flubbed it, her lines were tentative and lacked any kind of definitive phrasing, devoid of the grittiness and grease required for such a number.. I did not dig her feel, either. she just seemed
    to float laconically through the piece harmlessly .

Certainly not up to par if you set the bar at "fusion God". Short of that, a nice overall number . The piano player saved the day.

Adam is great. Getter needs to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Getter needs to get better.

Well, at this point the big thing is: she ain't trying to be any kind of God, but especially a fusion one. Her playing on the new album is, I think, outstanding and the writing, which is more progressive than fusion now - especially the tracks with Living Colour's Corey Glover guesting with her. She's on Madfish, a Snapper label that also has Kscope, Steven Wilson's label, and it seems clear she's heading in a different direction.

I've all four of her recordings, and I think she's grown with each one. But I'd have never considered her smooth jazz....not in any way.

Don't know if folks here know, but she was also a member of the Saturday Night Live Band, 1995-96, and they don't hire hacks for that gig.

Just sayin'.....

If you are looking for a fusion female:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Here's one I just learned about today:

I really think, as I said in my review that it's time to stop assessing women on the basis of gender. Either they cut it or they don't. You don't see Guitar Player contributing a quote like "the fiercest male frettboarder to strap on a Stratocaster," so not sure why, beyond it being a nice sound byte, "the fiercest female frettboarder to strap on a Stratocaster" is any more acceptable.

There are enough females out there struggling to break into what has been traditionally been an old boy's club without having to be judged based on their gender. The ones I know would simply prefer to fail or succeed on the merits of their work, period.

Getter while she's hot!

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I have to admit I never bothered to give her music the time of day until this clip (which I liked). I naively thought she was a smooth jazz artist. Nothing groundbreaking or game changing about her playing or composing on this track but it's still really good, solid fusion. I am quite likely to pick up one of her CDs especially one with Adam Holzman on it.
    Adam's on all of them and either produces or, with Jane, co-produces them. Her last two - Third and now ON - have been slowly moving towards a more prog vibe...the new one even more so, thus no surprise Madfish/Snapper picked it up.

Sounds good to me, but I like the rest of the lineup.

Weinart sounds pretty awesome too.

There needs to be some kind of channel for this stuff. Seriously.

Excuse me, I need to find some money....

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I dunno- I like Jane, but I think she pales in comparison to Hedvig or to Nori Bucci. She sort of has a sweeter, lighter tone and sound than the other two.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Nori was awesome. I wonder if she still plays any. I bought one of her albums several years ago through e-mail. there was only a couple fusiony tracks but I wasn't dissapointed with the rest of it either. I didn't know she was such a great vocalist and artist. my mother is a huge Elvis fan and I bought one of Nori's prints for her.

NB_Elvis.jpg

personally, I think Nili Brosh is one of the better ones to emerge in recent years. while she may not be a fusion goddess, her chops aren't sloppy by any means. IMO, Through The Looking Glass is one of the best instrumental releases I've heard in the last few years. Through The Looking Glass, Placebo, Typsy Gypsy, High Strung, Wafer....she played with Tony MacAlpine for awhile. (anyone know what the latest news is on Tony concerning the cancer he had removed last year?)
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 01-31-2016 at 10:39 AM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

So Awesome! Thanks. That was great! I eat this stuff up. Corey and Alex are amazing here....

I’ve seen Jane in concert several times over the years and she and her band always impresses.

She is crowdfunding her new album: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/j...studio-album#/

JGP’s next album will continue my exploration of progressive rock/jazz. I’m really excited about my new music; the songs have power, heart and soul. I always love the writing process and can’t wait to see it all come to life! With your support, we’ll record and release the new album by the end of 2019. We hope you’ll join us on the journey by donating and/or spreading the word!

Her band for this album includes Adam Holzman (Keys), Alex Skolnick (gtr), Chad Wackerman (drums), Mark Egan (bass) and Stu Hamm (bass).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I’ve seen Jane in concert several times over the years and she and her band always impresses.

She is crowdfunding her new album: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/j...studio-album#/

JGP’s next album will continue my exploration of progressive rock/jazz. I’m really excited about my new music; the songs have power, heart and soul. I always love the writing process and can’t wait to see it all come to life! With your support, we’ll record and release the new album by the end of 2019. We hope you’ll join us on the journey by donating and/or spreading the word!

Her band for this album includes Adam Holzman (Keys), Alex Skolnick (gtr), Chad Wackerman (drums), Mark Egan (bass) and Stu Hamm (bass).

She's learning from Jeff Beck and Mike Stern, you don't have to be the best as long as you surround yourself with talent.