Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When was the last time you got exited about a new album?

i view every prospective album purchase with excitement and joyful anticipation. otherwise there would be no point.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Very often. I still have to hear a note of the new Anekdoten album and I'm very, VERY excited about the new Trettioariga Kriget!
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

The Endless River

I was hoping for something great and was not disappointed
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

David Bowie's 'The Next Day' was a big, big deal- he'd 'disappeared' for years (with all sorts of speculation on his wellbeing) and then it was announced out of nowhere he had a new album coming out in 2013! It's not a 'perfect' album but there's some brilliant things on it.

I always look forward to what Paul McCartney does too, have loved his last few albums of new material.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Example: the new Radiohead album, being recorded now. After King of Limbs, I'm adopting a "wait and see" attitude.
    It's funny, I have barely read a single enthusiastic comment about that album 4/5 years on, so I never did bother with it (same with Yes' Heaven And Earth)- the general consensus was that it was below-par. Radiohead were one of few modern rock acts with mainstream success that had that old thing of a new release being a real 'event' and they may have thrown it away with that one. Muse are another, I suppose, but I bailed on them years ago.

Martin Turner and Friends featuring Ted Turner and Laurie Wisefield - The Garden Party, a Celebration of Wishbone Ash Music

Blue Oyster Cult - Forbidden Delights 1981
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Last time?? Setna

Next time?? Setna

OK, excited by the anticipation of an album coming out is one thing (and relatively rare)

Excitement after or when discovering a new album just released is quite different, and not as rare...
    Last edited by Trane; 10-07-2015 at 08:30 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Exited?
    Its amazing how the human mind can handle things like this. I didn't even notice the typo in the subject. Just think how awful life would be if our minds actually interpreted everything LITERALLY. Texting would be impossible for one.

Earlier this year when the new Lancer album was released and I got it on double vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I still buy quite a lot of music, so this happens rather often. But hardly ever with "older" (i.e. 70s or 80s) acts; almost squarely with younger ones playing music on contemporary terms.
    Yeah, same here! I'm thinking the latest Knifeworld did this for me (The Unraveling), the last few Necromonkey albums, Mirthkon ...

To be honest, I'm not the kind of person to really get excited about upcoming releases the way the OP describes (though I get that way over gigs), but rather 'interested' or 'curious' is the word I might use. I tend to go in with as little preconceptions as possible and just enjoy it. Lofty expectations tend to result in disappointment, IMO. I bought the last Bent Knee on a recommendation here and really didn't know what to expect - it totally flattened me on first listen (which doesn't happen often).

On the other hand, I bought Jack o the Clocks albums and although they didn't enthrall me right away, there was a magical quality to the music that kept me hitting replay until the songs unfolded themselves. Now I'm a huge fan.

Last week, actually: new Caspian, Deafheaven, Necromonkey and Helios all arrived within days of each other (bonus: while on a week off so there was ample time to actually listen to everything )
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I really look forward hearing the new Elephant9 album "Sugar Mountain" the new Yugen album and the new Krokofant album.

At the other end of the spectrum I can tell you with certainty the very FIRST time I was truly excited about a forthcoming album, and that was in 1991 prior to the release of Cardiacs' new album Heaven Born & Ever Bright. I had devoured every album up to that point and loved them all, however this was going to be their first album with the reduced line-up, so the anticipation and excitement was laced with trepidation.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Right now! I just found out that Tortoise is releasing a new album in January.

Holy fuck. HOE.LEE.FUK
    http://thequietus.com/articles/18948...n-new-tortoise
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Just this year:

Deerhoof
    Neal Morse Band
    The Tangent
    Anekdoten
    Deafheaven

(among many, many others!!!)
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    i view every prospective album purchase with excitement and joyful anticipation. otherwise there would be no point.
    Pretty much this for me. Now AFTER I hear them is different........sometimes the joy continues, sometimes not so much. But yes, I have had albums blow me away in recent times.

The last time I got "exited" for an album was when I listened to the last Yes album and promptly left the room.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Corrected the spelling! I really didn't notice it until another member pointed it out. A Jedi mind trick! But it won't correct the spelling on the home page's title. Strange!

And thanks to all for responding! A lot of new albums for me to explore and that's exciting!
    Last edited by RapidRefresh; 10-07-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    The last time I got "exited" for an album was when I listened to the last Yes album and promptly left the room.
    I feel your pain.

I highly doubted that without Trevor Horn it would be close to Fly From Here but was hoping for 3 or maybe even 4 really good songs. The only Yes CD I haven't bought.

I'm always excited to hear new music from new bands or new releases. I'm older so the excitement may be different, but yeah it brings a joy.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Well played
    Retort of the year!

So witty!

Last Friday when the new Clutch arrived, Psychic Warfare, excellent album

I've been excited about lots of new stuff, in the last year, or so. Steven Wilson, Anekdoten, The Mercury Tree, IZZ, Echolyn, and am currently really looking forward to stuff like: Thinking Plague, Sonas Umbra, Intronaut, The Mercury Tree. This is a great time for progressive music.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    Very often. I still have to hear a note of the new Anekdoten album and I'm very, VERY excited about the new Trettioariga Kriget!
    Me too on the Kriget!