Thread: Kraftwerk Live Review

Kraftwerk Live Review

The Machines Are Here! I saw Kraftwerk live for the first time in 34 years at The Electric Factory in Philadelphia and it was a trip back in 3D time. Their on the backend of their US Tour, then back to Europe. Here's a review http://wp.me/p4ZE0X-5Ag

Excellent, I've managed to see them twice in London over the past bunch of years, really iconic and important band, so it's great to witness their performance. It's more art than concert, but quite something to behold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    It's more art than concert, but quite something to behold.
    That's the right way to look at it.

I was also at the Factory show.

Total fucking mindfuck!

I too was at The Electric Factory Friday evening for Kraftwerk. I thought that they were phenomenal. They really are in a league of their own. But why The Electric Factory? What an arm pit. That show should have been at The Kimmel Center.

Think show is similar to several years ago---MinimumMaximum--great CD and DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Think show is similar to several years ago---MinimumMaximum--great CD and DVD.
    Pretty much true. I don't think they were 3D then, but the images were similar. The arrangements were a little different and you did miss the variation of having Florian Schneider's vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    The Machines Are Here! I saw Kraftwerk live for the first time in 34 years at The Electric Factory in Philadelphia and it was a trip back in 3D time. Their on the backend of their US Tour, then back to Europe. Here's a review http://wp.me/p4ZE0X-5Ag

nice review!

I agree with that this show would have had some more reverence (quite like the Crimson shows) if it were spotlighted as 'ART' in a venue like the Kimmel. even as an EDM sort of gig, it never quite got off the ground as a dance show either; could have been a bit louder. the Electric Factory remains Philadelphia's worst venue.

I am glad I went but it was more of a check-list gig that a real mind blower for me

I had tickets for the Friday show, but the rain (and resulting traffic cluster between DC and Philly) meant I had to abandon plans, sadly. I was lucky enough to catch them a year ago here in DC though, so not a total loss.

Kraftwerk is one of those bands that everyone should try and see live, at least once, if at all possible. Even if musically it isn't your thing...the show is such a complete and almost immersive experience. The only other band that came close to being such a total experience was Sunn O))) in Baltimore.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    nice review! I agree with that this show would have had some more reverence (quite like the Crimson shows) if it were spotlighted as 'ART' in a venue like the Kimmel. even as an EDM sort of gig, it never quite got off the ground as a dance show either; could have been a bit louder. the Electric Factory remains Philadelphia's worst venue.
    Can't disagree with any of that. and being from the "If it's too loud, you're too old" school of volume, yeah, it could've been louder.

We were very fortunate to see the Austin show in Bass Performance Hall - just perfect...having seen Porcupine Tree at the Electric Factory, I can't even imagine having the same enjoyment of a Kraftwerk show there that we did in that very fine venue.

Electric Factory really is a dump. Hate to say it, but it was a tough venue in which to enjoy a show. But they seem to get fantastic shows there....

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Kraftwerk is one of those bands that everyone should try and see live, at least once, if at all possible.
    I'm one of those in the once-only camp (saw them at the Palladium), but it was a helluva show.

OT: do you have that Groove reissue of Zanov that came out this year?

I haven't but I'm sure Google will help me correct that shortly
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Yeah, I hate the Electric Factory also.

The initial review of the new venue (Fillmore) looks promising.

Seeing two moe. shows there at the end of the month.

Can't disagree with any of that. and being from the "If it's too loud, you're too old" school of volume, yeah, it could've been louder.
    Or you just want to keep your hearing good.

Great review. Caught their show at Moogfest last year. Was quite a memorable concert for me, being a fan for many years now and finally getting a chance to see them perform. Hope they come around here again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Or you just want to keep your hearing good.
    I always find it humorous when people complain about a show being too loud. If they really cared about their hearing, they'd bring earplugs. There are quite a few on the market that are designed for listening to live music, lowing the volume across the whole frequency range instead of muffling the high frequencies like standard foam ones do. I see about a concert a week, and don't leave home without my EarPeace plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    Great review. Caught their show at Moogfest last year. Was quite a memorable concert for me, being a fan for many years now and finally getting a chance to see them perform. Hope they come around here again.

I always find it humorous when people complain about a show being too loud. If they really cared about their hearing, they'd bring earplugs. There are quite a few on the market that are designed for listening to live music, lowing the volume across the whole frequency range instead of muffling the high frequencies like standard foam ones do. I see about a concert a week, and don't leave home without my EarPeace plugs.
    And why should a concert be that loud, so the audience need earplugs, to protect their hearing? Doesn't make sense to me.

Here's another review with some pictures and the set list.
    http://www.jambase.com/Articles/1266...werk-3D-Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    And why should a concert be that loud, so the audience need earplugs, to protect their hearing? Doesn't make sense to me.
    And must agree with this as a veteran of about 1000 concerts. 99.5 of them are in the correct percentile. The other .5% are shows I've seen by acts who play too loud on purpose to compensate for their little wieners (hey, you thought Ted Nugent...I didn't say it), or have an incompetent FOH guy.

My most extreme example is seeing Tears For Fears at the Fox in Atlanta on the "Big Chair" tour. If you know that band/album combined with that venue, you'd be thinking "Boy, this is gonna be great".

But, wow. And wow. Imagine a guy at FOH, turning everything miked, up to 10, in the red. It was SO fucking loud, and distorted, that I left about 1/2 way through.
    You really gotta work at it, to sound bad at the Fox.