Thread: Marillion vs. Beastie Boys

Marillion vs. Beastie Boys

Sorry for the cross-post. Since posting this stuff over at the artist's forum last week I've noticed that the artist's forum gets about 1/100th the traffic as the main board.

As I posted there:

Back when the Beastie's To The 5 Boroughs came out, they put all the a capella's up on their website for fan use. I was playing around with them, looking for something to mash up, when I remembered that I had all the Anoraknophobia stems from the remix contest.

These were the results:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry, but that's an abomination! LOL. I went to school with Mike D, which somehow makes me not a big BEASTIE Boys fan. I KNOW his rap voice is a complete put on, cause he was a completely nerdy kid until suddenly he went all ghetto.

Kayne Kardashian ones defiled a piece of King Crimson music we all like.
    Are you dreaming about similar glory?
    Besides, do you think it is appropriate to mix a piece of art from superb musicians inducted to Rock'n'roll Hall of Fame with music of some obscure Brit band?

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    Kayne Kardashian ones defiled a piece of King Crimson music we all like.
    Are you dreaming about similar glory?
    Besides, do you think it is appropriate to mix a piece of art from superb musicians inducted to Rock'n'roll Hall of Fame with music of some obscure Brit band?
    No idea what you're trying to say but thanks for listening.

^ Booba is actually Vladimir Putin during his off time. But I think he's joking and actually believes the opposite of what he said.

#vomit #cutmyearsoff

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sorry, but that's an abomination! LOL. I went to school with Mike D, which somehow makes me not a big BEASTIE Boys fan. I KNOW his rap voice is a complete put on, cause he was a completely nerdy kid until suddenly he went all ghetto.
    I didn't go to school with him and I kind of figured that.

That said, I do own The In Sound From The Way Out which I think is really cool.

The "Separated Out" and "Between You and Me" mashups really do work well.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I didn't go to school with him and I kind of figured that.

That said, I do own The In Sound From The Way Out which I think is really cool.
    He had two brothers, one of whom I knew pretty well - we played poker together occasionally. They were all pretty similar, so the whole ghetto thing was just hilarious to me.

I love The In Sound From Way Out, but never heard the Beastie Boys album that borrowed the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The "Separated Out" and "Between You and Me" mashups really do work well.
    Thanks!

That was pants when Marillion released those remix albums - especially the one that was the Christmas CD. I just am not really keen on remixes like that, but I cut the band some slack anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    This one's really cool - they really mesh pretty well.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

For some reason, these mashups made me laugh out loud. Just completely random and unexpected. Thanks for the laugh, and your work on them.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That was pants when Marillion released those remix albums - especially the one that was the Christmas CD. I just am not really keen on remixes like that, but I cut the band some slack anyway.
    To each his own and all that. I love those remix albums, and a few songs, I prefer the remixes to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    For some reason, these mashups made me laugh out loud.
    Imagine how loud I laughed doing these. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This one's really cool - they really mesh pretty well.
    Yes, that and When I Meet God/Open Letter To NYC were the two that were easiest to fit together - like they were meant for each other - and are probably my favorites.