Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Classic Live Prog albums which outperforms studio versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Which is made up partly for the absence of that horrid Do You Close Your Eyes used as a 15-mins encore...

I agree that MiE could've been a double live album.
    If you can track it down, check out La Dernier Séance - it's the full Paris show from which MIE tracks were taken. Once you hear the whole set, it all works so much better (apart from Hughes' incessant whooping and hollering - I wouldn't have minded them editing that out).

http://www.discogs.com/Deep-Purple-L...elease/2240489

For Rainbow, there were a series of albums released from the 1976 European Tour, at least one of which did include Stargazer in the set.

http://www.discogs.com/Rainbow-Live-...elease/1883350

Both of these are official releases, cleaned up and professionally mastered by the DP Apprec Society, and fully approved by the bands, so they're way better quality than official bootlegs. In fact, I'd suggest they sound better than the mixes on MIE and RoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Fillmore West was the same day as the show filmed at KQED radio station, wasn't it? One of my favorite eras for live Pink Floyd. I also have the BBC show from July 16, 1970, are there more live boots from that era that sound equally good?
    KQED is a TV station, not radio, but yes, they were the same day.

If you like the BBC show from 1970, you should seek out the one from the following year, which has a great 13 minute version of Fat Old Sun.

I seem to recall there's also a good show recorded in San Diego from 71, as well. And though the sound quality isn't perfect, I also like A Psychedelic Night, which was recorded in December 70, and includes what I believe is said to be the only surviving live recording of Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.

I hated the way all of the 80s King Crimson albums sounded (really "synthetic" to my ears). Absent Lovers blew me away and showed me just awesome those tunes were.

I prefer the versions of CTTE and Siberian Khatru on Yessongs to their studio counterparts.

The 801 Live album is absolute killer, while I find the studio album, Listen Now, a snoozer.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    The 801 Live album is absolute killer, while I find the studio album, Listen Now, a snoozer.
    100% agree.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Have you heard the expanded version? It has all the songs played on the two nights at the Marquee and due to sound issues, uses The Collector from another show. I've changed the running order on the CD's I burned off it so that the show ends with Sequences > encore of Love Song. Great stuff! I was lucky to see them at the Marquee in July 1983, I'd not heard a note of their music before, just read about them in Kerrang!, I was blown away. RIP Geoff Mann.

The expanded release is amazing, I bought it as soon as it came out. Until then, I'd always thought "The Collector" was only a studio creation so that was an incredible bonus (even though it wasn't from the Marquee shows). Ya know, I always thought Twelfth Night could have been just as big as Marillion but for some reason they never got the exposure or lucky break they deserved. Geoff Mann was as amazing a frontman and lyricist as Fish...

RIP Geoff Mann indeed
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I love them both (except for the 1st song/title cut on Listen Now which is this horrific funk/rock mess), but "801 Live" is really a completely different animal than "Listen Now". There isn't even a single song common to both albums
    Last edited by WytchCrypt; 10-01-2015 at 06:19 PM.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I've never even heard Listen Now. Everyone I knew had the live album. Well, that had that kind of stuff

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I've never even heard Listen Now. Everyone I knew had the live album. Well, that had that kind of stuff
    You're not missing anything, stick with Live.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You're not missing anything, stick with Live.
    Well, can't agree with that...as I said, the opening song is awful but after that I love Flight 19, City of Light, That Falling Feeling, etc... It's just a very different feel than 801 Live...probably more rock-prog, where 801 Live is more prog-rock

If we're throwing in a few non-prog bands i'd have to say The Song Remains The Same has some smokin' tunes which are way better than the studio versions, namely Dazed & Confused... No Quarter too.

If we include "live in a studio" releases:

VdGG- Maida Vale
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    If we're throwing in a few non-prog bands i'd have to say The Song Remains The Same has some smokin' tunes which are way better than the studio versions, namely Dazed & Confused... No Quarter too.
    I don't like the versions of 'Dazed and Confused' or 'Moby Dick', too long and boring for me. But the then-new material from Houses Of The Holy is beautifully done.

the yesshows version of ritual really blew me away and opened my eyes to tales more than the original album.

I love parts of yessongs but never thought they could recreate close to the edge to the perfection of the studio take.

seconded on absent lovers it is the definitive statement of king crimson in the 80s for me.
    Last edited by gojikranz; 10-02-2015 at 01:24 PM.

If we are throwing in non-prog, I will put my vote in for Little Feat-Waiting For Columbus. The live versions are far better than the studio versions.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't like the versions of 'Dazed and Confused' or 'Moby Dick', too long and boring for me. But the then-new material from Houses Of The Holy is beautifully done.
    Totally agree on Moby Dick, but Dazed??? Man that was stoner paradise back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    If we include "live in a studio" releases:

VdGG- Maida Vale
    Fantastic version of Darkness 11/11

^That BBC 'Darkness' is indeed superior to the studio version, an extraordinary vocal from Hammill and a heavier sound...I prefer the sparse drum intro than the sound effects stuff used on the studio version, and there's also some classic 60s hard panning on the studio one as I recall.

Totally agree on Moby Dick, but Dazed??? Man that was stoner paradise back in the day
    Sure was. My buddies and I would go to see The Song Remains The Same whenever we could, get high and just bask in the 27 minute long D&C. When Plant leans down during the Rain Song and picks the mushroom, we'd yell "Eat it!". The drum solo was bathroom break time though. There was a movie theater here in Los Angeles (Canoga Park, actually) that would show rock film double bills on Fridays, so it wasn't unusual to see the Zeppelin movie and stuff like Yessongs or Rock n' Roll Your Eyes (as ELP's Lyceum concert movie was called then) in one night. I've seen all three of them dozens of times.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    I've never heard the album, but the movie version of No Quarter, I think pales in comparison to some of the versions from the 77 tour. The bootleg Listen To This Eddie, I think, has the best version of No Quarter. It's something like 24 minutes long, and features a great piano cadenza from JPJ. You wouldn't know it from listening to the officially released albums, but JPJ could get down on the ivories.

Another Zep bootleg that I think has a great track is Destroyer, which has the best version of Stairway To Heaven, with this great stop time thing going on during the guitar solo (during the bit where you hear the call and response thing on the studio version). Unfortunately, Page apparently forgets to switch the guitar back to the 12 string neck after the solo (either that or his amp died), because as soon as Plant comes back in with the last verse, the guitar disappears altogether, but it's still a cool track. And that's the only version I've heard with the stop time thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Sure was. My buddies and I would go to see The Song Remains The Same whenever we could, get high and just bask in the 27 minute long D&C. When Plant leans down during the Rain Song and picks the mushroom, we'd yell "Eat it!". The drum solo was bathroom break time though. There was a movie theater here in Los Angeles (Canoga Park, actually) that would show rock film double bills on Fridays, so it wasn't unusual to see the Zeppelin movie and stuff like Yessongs or Rock n' Roll Your Eyes (as ELP's Lyceum concert movie was called then) in one night. I've seen all three of them dozens of times.
    seen this movie about 12 times in friday night showings on Bloor St theatres... Used to toke beforehand and share a micky of CC and Ginf-ger during the show

Same place, I saw The Wall six or seven times, and Pompeii at least that much as well.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think most Todd Rundgren/Utopia songs sound better live. I'm really into everything of his from 1972-1979 or so, but I have to say the album of his I go back to the most is Back to the Bars, his 1978 live album. It's a nice mix of Utopia and solo songs and the performances are top notch.

There's also his Live at Hammersmith 1975 live album which has recently become a favorite guitar album for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    A person or two has mentioned "A Live Record" by Camel. I love it in parts. The addition of Mel Collins sax and even some Richard Sinclair vox makes certain tracks essential.
    I think the version of “Song Within a Song” is definitive. Probably because I find Richard Sinclair to be much better vocally than Doug Ferguson.

I guess I'm just aesthetically troubled by live records that make absolutely no attempt to pretend to portray an actual live show. That feels pretty silly, but its a prejudice of mine.
    Funny you should mention it, I’m listening to the first Libra album right now. “Beyond the Fence” has to be the fake-est “live” recording ever; I seriously doubt they ever played to an audience that large or excited.

I also take exception to live albums that do little or nothing more than try to replicate the studio recordings note for note. I’ve gone on and on before about Renaissance’s Live at Carnegie Hall, and apart from “Ashes Are Burning” and the stage patter/crowd noise, the songs are indistinguishable from their studio counterparts. Honestly, what is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Sorry. I disagree strenuously on YesSongs. Good live renditions but none of them outdo the studio versions in my book...
    In general, agreed. However, I really like the Yessongs versions of the Yes Album material. Howe gets a lot of opportunities to play extended solos, always a good thing in my book.

Also, I way prefer the Yesshows version of “Ritual” with Moraz to the original studio version. Anyone else?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    If we are throwing in non-prog, I will put my vote in for Little Feat-Waiting For Columbus. The live versions are far better than the studio versions.
    Agree..

One of the greatest concert memories I have is seeing Yes at the Hollywood Bowl in 1975 as a 15 year old, one of the first concerts I went to. I only had gotten in to Yes in late 1974 via Relayer, I'd only heard that, Fragile and TFTO at that point. Ritual ended the regular set, the percussion section before the vocals came back in had Squire bashing away on some timpani's, Moraz had this insane sequencer pattern going, the lights and smoke were incredible. It reaches a peak > Howe does that great little solo bit so the rest of the band can get ready to do that last section and it ended with the lights fading out as the music did.

Sheer, total, complete magic, still vivid in my memory 40 years later. The studio version pales in comparison, I used to have some Relayer tour bootlegs that had great versions of Ritual on them.
    ...or you could love