Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Downes/Lake collaboration

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    As it seems you are a big ELP fan, I would give "Black Moon" a try. No, it's not as good as their first several albums, but I enjoy most of it.
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

What about Lake? Did he record any other decent material?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    IMO definitely for completists only.
    Yes. I mean, if none of this stuff had ever been released, people would always be wondering what these sessions were like, wondered about the whatmighthavebeens, as we wonder about Howe's day in The Nice or Emerson, Lake & Bruford. So I'm glad that these sessions were released, that they're available for completists like me, but it is for completists only.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I have everything by ELP up to and including "Love Beach". I don't have the live album with the orchestra or any of the 90s recordings (but I do have the Royal Albert Hall and Montreux DVDs). I also saw ELP in the 90s, so I'm familiar with a few songs from "Black Moon".

I've never heard Payne at all, and never even heard of him until browsing this forum. In fact I was unaware that Asia even existed after the end of the original lineup in the 80s. Other than the brief time Lake was in Asia, I thought Wetton was its only bassist/vocalist. How does Payne sound compared to Wetton and Lake?

I have Lake's two solo albums from the 80s "Greg Lake" and "Manoeuvres".
    Given all that, I'd recommend Black Moon and maybe some of the recent Carl Palmer live albums.

Payne has his own sound: his writing is more... hair metal, I guess? I think Aqua's worth hearing, maybe Slient Nation or Aura, but I think the reunion Asia albums are generally better. YMMV.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    You're welcome! Enjoy. Beware, though - that may push you into other areas of exploration, like catching up with Holdsworth, or checking out the first couple of Bruford solo albums with Holdsworth - if you haven't already done so, of course. Things can get expensive in a hurry
    Too late for that!

Least interesting member of the Buggles with least interesting member of ELP, nah.

Now an Emerson / Horn collaboration might have yielded something worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Least interesting member of the Buggles with least interesting member of ELP, nah.

I have no interest in Palmer and find him the least interesting ELP member.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Yes. I mean, if none of this stuff had ever been released, people would always be wondering what these sessions were like, wondered about the whatmighthavebeens, as we wonder about Howe's day in The Nice or Emerson, Lake & Bruford. So I'm glad that these sessions were released, that they're available for completists like me, but it is for completists only.

Given all that, I'd recommend Black Moon and maybe some of the recent Carl Palmer live albums.

Payne has his own sound: his writing is more... hair metal, I guess? I think Aqua's worth hearing, maybe Slient Nation or Aura, but I think the reunion Asia albums are generally better. YMMV.

Henry
    I'll get "Black Moon" but pass on Palmer. I don't care to hear ELP songs without keyboards.

Laura

^^ I guess we differ then. I'm no particular fan of Palmer but Greg Lake has always struck me as a terrible singer and I can't say his bass playing ever got me excited either.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Too late for that!
    Get into jazz, and that increases exponentially

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    Get into jazz, and that increases exponentially
    It already has!

^^ I guess we differ then. I'm no particular fan of Palmer but Greg Lake has always struck me as a terrible singer and I can't say his bass playing ever got me excited either.
    Emerson and Palmer are far and away my favorites but I have softened ever so slightly on Lake over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    Further reflections. RE; Black Moon. It's OK...no more, no less. I think Palmer's drum sound is a major drawback. But that trudge through 'Romeo And Juliet' and some of the lyrics in 'Footprints In The Snow' aside, there's nothing too embarrassing. The Downes co-write 'Affairs Of The Heart' isn't anything special and Lake's vocal was a little shocking to me when I first heard it...but Emerson's keyboard fills liven it up a bit.

RE; Payne-Asia. Heard quite a few of the albums, only one I liked was Aura. It's too long but there's some good music there- 'Ready To Go Home' (a cover) and 'Free' in particular. I'm increasingly less fond of Payne's 'grunting' vocal style, though perhaps that's a personal thing. That kind of 'macho' style I hear in Marc Bonilla as well.

Except that I find "Living in the Plastic Age", which has a lot of Downes' input, much better than "Adventures...", which has very little of Downes' input on it.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Further reflections. RE; Black Moon. It's OK...no more, no less. I think Palmer's drum sound is a major drawback. But that trudge through 'Romeo And Juliet' and some of the lyrics in 'Footprints In The Snow' aside, there's nothing too embarrassing. The Downes co-write 'Affairs Of The Heart' isn't anything special and Lake's vocal was a little shocking to me when I first heard it...but Emerson's keyboard fills liven it up a bit.
    While I'd call "Black Moon" good rather than okay, I do agree that the drum sound (and I would add the drumming itself) are one of the drawbacks to the album.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Emerson and Palmer are far and away my favorites but I have softened ever so slightly on Lake over the years.
    The dream 80s band to me would have been Lake on vocals, Wetton on bass, Howe on guitar, and Bruford on drums.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    While I'd call "Black Moon" good rather than okay, I do agree that the drum sound (and I would add the drumming itself) are one of the drawbacks to the album.
    I was being harsh- about half of the album is certainly good (the two instrumentals are more than that), but the other average half kind of drags it down. Agree on the drumming- some very plodding stuff on here, compared with what he played in ELP throughout the 70s. But then what do you do with something like 'Paper Blood', which isn't very interesting rhythmically? (Emerson again livens that one up.)

The dream 80s band to me would have been Lake on vocals, Wetton on bass, Howe on guitar, and Bruford on drums.

So, King Crimson without Fripp Personally, I would have been more enamored with Howe in the 80s if he hadn't become so enamored with playing stadium rock power chords and had completely distanced himself from Downes (see the GTR debacle). Same goes for Wetton concerning Downes.

Has anyone purchased this CD? If so, how is it?
    It sounds like soft version of Asia...or sometime like Asia mixed with ELPowell. Not very impressive record. Only one new song, other stuff is familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    It sounds like soft version of Asia...or sometime like Asia mixed with ELPowell. Not very impressive record. Only one new song, other stuff is familiar.
    So it's similar to Lake's two solo albums?

Laura

^ No, not very similar, the sound is different, keyboards dominate all over. Lake's solo albums were more guitar oriented

^ No, not very similar, the sound is different, keyboards dominate all over. Lake's solo albums were more guitar oriented
    That would make sense given that it has Downes rasher than Gary Moore.

Laura

^ I don't remember much of Lake solo stuff, aside of ELP. I have that 2 albums of his, but to say I was hooked must be an exaggeration. Lake/Downes album is surely for completists, as been said. No great revelations there.

^ I don't remember much of Lake solo stuff, aside of ELP. I have that 2 albums of his, but to say I was hooked must be an exaggeration. Lake/Downes album is surely for completists, as been said. No great revelations there.
    Gary Moore was a good guitarist, but there was nothing proggy about Lake's solo albums. Most of the lyrics were really sappy and cringe worthy. Just think of some of the song titles like "Love You Too Much" or "Too Young to Love".

Laura

Yes, agree about Moore, but expected more from Lake solo stuff. Pretty conventional pop rock..Second album, Manouvres, is a tad better than 1st. But overall, both not very bright, kind of average...Lake/Downes Ride The Tiger are demo versions mostly, of his late ELP stuff.

Well, lyrics don't touch me that deep, through my foreign ears, hahaha..

Well, lyrics don't touch me that deep, through my foreign ears, hahaha..
    You're lucky in this case. 😂

Laura