Thread: Gazpacho -molok new album 23 oct 15

Gazpacho -molok new album 23 oct 15

And here is the first sample from it

http://youtu.be/tlKGqLWg40Y

Gazpacho is one of the most awaited realases always. But the first sample sounds very very similar to their last outputs. Could be in any of them. Hope there is some kind of progress in their music...
    Last edited by gilawi; 09-25-2015 at 06:30 PM.

I thought Demons, my favourite album of theirs, showed the band adding different elements to their style. Love the mood they generate on their albums and will buy this - though avoiding the samples!

Seems to be a bit more tribal/drum heavy...there's also allegedly the oldest instrument known to man on the record but in all honesty it's probably just a sounding stone a la the scenes with the Indian in Wayne's World II.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 09-26-2015 at 03:05 PM.

I dont really know what i think about gazpacho, on one hand they make incredible beatiful music ,on the other hand they sounds very samey,but i guess i Will check it out when it is released

Thanks for the heads-up. Looking forward to it.

I find all their albums real growers. The more you dig in, the deeper it goes...Like some rich dream that disappears in the morning light, but still reverberates, leaving you affected...

Hate to say it slight fans here: this one's not on par with Night - Demon...think they've finally "jumped the shark"...feels like a pretty rushed product that just sort of plods and drones along...Bela Kiss is cool in continuing the Wizard Of motifs, ABC, and Algorithm are the keepers - pretty lousy out of place keyboard patches too...but this has a Peter Gabriel's So meets Dead Can Dance vibe to it that isn't as rich melodically, arranged as good, or has good dynamics...largely i feel it's unfocused.

Cool percussion though here and there.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 10-15-2015 at 02:59 PM.

Oh, did they surprise-release it early?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Oh, did they surprise-release it early?
    "surprise-release" it, yes...disappointed, not much instrumentation/communication for the good of the song at large i feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up. Looking forward to it.

I find all their albums real growers. The more you dig in, the deeper it goes...Like some rich dream that disappears in the morning light, but still reverberates, leaving you affected...
    This is a really good description...some of my gripes still remain but this is probably one that will take A LOT of work to appreciate...if you can find the right setting for it there're pockets in it, particularly the last track, that are somewhat hypnotic...that being said it does feel sort of unfinished/THAT'S it?! a bit...i'd rank this higher than Missa Atropos but not by much...there's literally no big guitar sounds to be found anywhere like past albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    ...i'd rank this higher than Missa Atropos but not by much...there's literally no big guitar sounds to be found anywhere like past albums.
    Interesting as Missa Atropos is easily my favourite Gazpacho album. Lately I have been getting little bit bored with this band album, but maybe I will buy Molok if it is even better than Missa Atropos.

Demon was one of the hardest albums I've ever tried to get into, but once it hit, it hit big-time. I appreciate Gazpacho for the length of time it takes for me to appreciate their music. Still struggling with Night but looking forward to Molok very much.

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    Demon was one of the hardest albums I've ever tried to get into, but once it hit, it hit big-time. I appreciate Gazpacho for the length of time it takes for me to appreciate their music. Still struggling with Night but looking forward to Molok very much.
    Then trust me, this one is going to be harder...overall i'd say it's a pretty unique entry yet again into their canon...pretty much have done a 180 on this one, it's pretty cool...the only songs i don't really care too much for is Alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    once it hit, it hit big-time.
    This has been true for all their albums to one extent or another with me. The ones I haven't fallen in love with, I still end up liking quite a bit, but either way it always takes some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Then trust me, this one is going to be harder...overall i'd say it's a pretty unique entry yet again into their canon...pretty much have done a 180 on this one, it's pretty cool...the only songs i don't really care too much for is Alarm.
    They're an automatic buy for me based solely on how incredible Demon is. I've been slowly digging into their back catalog, but Molok is definitely my next buy. I really appreciate how dense and challenging their music can be. It's refreshing honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    This has been true for all their albums to one extent or another with me. The ones I haven't fallen in love with, I still end up liking quite a bit, but either way it always takes some time.
    I'm still finding Night to be difficult. I heard such great things, but nothing's clicking yet.

Reading these posts there seems to be a lot of discrepancies of which Gazpacho's recording is the best. In my case I just hear on song in Demon: The Wizard of Altai mountains...my favorites are Tic Toc, March of Ghosts, Missa Atropos, Night in that order. Is Molok better than Demon, then I will sureley buy it. Haruspex Carnage comments that there are "no big guitar sounds" in Molok. Well...the guitar sounds of Gazpacho is the least part I like in their music...always sounding the same and annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    Reading these posts there seems to be a lot of discrepancies of which Gazpacho's recording is the best. In my case I just hear on song in Demon: The Wizard of Altai mountains...my favorites are Tic Toc, March of Ghosts, Missa Atropos, Night in that order. Is Molok better than Demon, then I will sureley buy it. Haruspex Carnage comments that there are "no big guitar sounds" in Molok. Well...the guitar sounds of Gazpacho is the least part I like in their music...always sounding the same and annoying.
    The first song has the typical half-time big loud guitar chords...but i'd say at large it takes a BIG back seat.

Finally getting to my just-received copy of the new album. Oh wow-- I think it's superb. What truly progressive (post), (art) rock is all about. For want of a better way of expressing this: fantastic textural and stylistic complexity on offer here. And conceptually-- an obvious yet suggestive and inviting intelligence. Forget about the hackneyed time-signature shifts and 'symphonic' development (although you will hear some of that)-- there is instead real experimentation displayed, still in a mesmerizing yet accessible way. Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure; but so far, this is going down great. IMO of course...

Other impressions on the new album? I'm still enthusiastic about it. Including its brevity-- there is yet a lot stylistically packed into its traditional 45 minute album or so. The instrument that seems to take a front-seat on this one is the drum kit. Refreshing to hear lots of toms, energetically played. A little different from their previous offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Other impressions on the new album? I'm still enthusiastic about it. Including its brevity-- there is yet a lot stylistically packed into its traditional 45 minute album or so. The instrument that seems to take a front-seat on this one is the drum kit. Refreshing to hear lots of toms, energetically played. A little different from their previous offerings.
    Yep, really shocking how they've made consistently good albums 6 times in a row now.

First spin didn't do much for me. Two nights later (tonight), second spin and the beauty began to reveal itself. Textures, atmosphere and moodiness galore! I have a feeling spins 3 and 4 are going to be fantastic.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It took a few listens for me before I really enjoyed this album. I hope people give it the same chance that I did. I wrote about this album on my site as well, which you can view HERE.

All of their albums seem to take a while to get into. And then they hit the spot...

The only album I've heard is Missa Atropos, which had some really great stuff on it. They are perhaps a tad melancholy for my usual listening routine, but they know how to throttle the power back and also how to ramp it up when necessary.

I'll check out Molok. The concept sounds very interesting.