Thread: Live From Daryl's House

Live From Daryl's House

Terrific live show from Daryl hall's house featuring veteran and current performers.

Episode 23 with Todd Rundgren is exceptional:

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/c....html?ep_id=22
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/c....html?ep_id=55

They go to Todd's place in Maui for this one, it's worth a look too!

Are you just discovering this show? It is excellent. It does vary depending on who is the guest though. Some of these newer acts that can barely rub two chords together aren't as cool as someone like Todd. Honestly, the two episodes with TR are my faves.

Joe Walsh was fun also!

I've only seen a few, and mostly with new artists, which is kinda cool, seeing them interact with these veteran musicians.

I've seen parts of the epi's with Neon Trees, Plain White T's, KT Tunstall, and the whole episode with Smokey Robinson. THAT was cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Loved the Butch Walker episode, and it seemed Daryl and the boys really appreciated him as well.

Is it just me, or does Daryl Hall come across as very arrogant and detached?

I never got that impression, no.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    Is it just me, or does Daryl Hall come across as very arrogant?
    It is not just you. I got the same impression from the few times I saw him being interviwed on MTV in the 1980s and more recently on the Behind The Music special VH1 aired a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    Loved the Butch Walker episode, and it seemed Daryl and the boys really appreciated him as well.

Is it just me, or does Daryl Hall come across as very arrogant and detached?
    Comes across as a cool & relaxed guy to me.

He and Todd acted like brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Comes across as a cool & relaxed guy to me.

He and Todd acted like brothers.
    Yeah, I feel the same way.
    The episode with Cee Lo is a lot of fun too.
    http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/c....html?ep_id=67

Thanks for these. I'm home with a cold and these were a nice diversion.

Tom

This is a show I've been checking out a lot lately. I've especially like the Rumer, Sharon Jones and Eli 'Paperboy' Reed episodes. The Butch Walker one was very good as wel, I'd never heard him before this but I'll definitely be checking out his work.

To me, Daryl comes across as cool and respectful to his guests, even the ones who aren't anywhere near his level of success. One guy, can't remember which one, even mentioned his work with Fripp.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

I think Daryl is very cool with everyone. I like that he has a lot of diversity in the guests he invites. I have been watching these for a long time, I caught this very early on, around the 5th or 6th episode and faithfully watched online. The Todd episodes are amazing, and there was a country guy who really sang some of Halls tunes very well. There are a lot of very good episodes with many artists I had never heard of. Really love the whole setup and concept of the show - I hope he continues this for many years, its great

Episode 38 with Guster they play "Babs and Babs" from the Sacred Songs record that Daryl did with Fripp. It's really cool and they talk about the use of "Frippertronics". My favorite episode though is 10 with Chromeo. Funky as hell with the coolest version of "No Can Do" I've ever heard. Check it out!
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I like that he has a lot of diversity in the guests he invites. ~~~ Really love the whole setup and concept of the show - I hope he continues this for many years, its great
    Totally agree - the diversity of guests + the show's format make it pretty unique. I like when they sit down at the table and tell stories, talk about the food, etc. Kinda like behind the scenes stuff.

Then they jam with that ultra-tight band, and it's like the icing on the cake.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Hall was and is awesome. He had a lot of hits in the 80's. The 80's were ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Totally agree - the diversity of guests + the show's format make it pretty unique. I like when they sit down at the table and tell stories, talk about the food, etc. Kinda like behind the scenes stuff.

Then they jam with that ultra-tight band, and it's like the icing on the cake.
    Everything about it is cool. The food, conversation, music, I love the format.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    The 80's were ok.
    But the '60s and '70s were awesome.

Krieger and Manzarek were good.

Tonight's episode featured the O'Jays. So smooth and funky. Daryl's band is so tight, and the vocal harmonies were spot-on.