Thread: Revisiting MiRthkon's "Snack(s)"

Revisiting MiRthkon's "Snack(s)"

Hi everyone!

I replayed this for the first time in awhile. It's a hoot! Crazy great writing and lots of fun chamber / metal / jazz / Zappa stuff that also rocks pretty hard. I really love their take on "Fairies Wear Boots", but the original tracks are even better. Any fans of this band here?

Avid fan here, although I haven't had the sheer energy or TIME it takes to listen to them recently. Their music, well, much of it anyway, is sometimes frightfully dense and challenging a listen. Then again it kicks such serious ass that you can swallow a handful of songs and stay preciously satisfied for hours on end after that. I often think that if there had actually existed any such thing as a vital "prog community" with a valid penchant for truly advanced textures and structures in composition, names like Mirthkon (and Normal Love, Muvovum, Krokofant et al.) would be *bigger*.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Awww.i cant play the video

Sent from my SM-J100ML using Tapatalk

I liked most of Vehicle a lot, but never warmed to Snacks. Too much of it sounds like novelty music.

I love some Mirthkon. For me Snacks is a step up from Vehicle, which had great moments but was still a bit patchy. Snacks is much more coherent album that also has the best album artwork of the last few years.

They did a short tour in Europe last year and I am sorry I missed them. None of the shows was within a few hundred kilometers from my home.

Yeah, this is light years ahead of the debut (which I loved)

^

There's also Scharold's Wallytunes vol. 1 under the MiRthkon moniker; it features what appears to be ALL of his approaches and accets, from written charts to quite outrageous free improv, whacky "tunes" and large-scale pieces side by side. Probably long oop, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Big fan of the band, I think Snack(s) is a step up from Vehicle, much more consistent though I do enjoy the spoken word parts of Vehicle and would have liked those to reappear. Saw them at RIO a couple of years ago and they were one of the highlights for me, though they did get mixed reviews. Lovely bunch of people too & part of the burgeoning West Coast 'scene'.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Call me a big fan of theirs...

Looking forward to the next offering from them!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!