Thread: Frank Zappa - Dance Me This. What is your final verdict?

Frank Zappa - Dance Me This. What is your final verdict?

So, after a couple of months of its much anticipated release (after a 20-years wait), it seems that all the excitement is gone. There was a lot of hype (the cover of Prog Magazine, UME announcements, etc.), but few actual reviews. I sense that it didn't fulfill not even the fans' expectations (I hope I'm wrong though).
    Where do you place Dance me this within FZ's general discography and within his other synclavier albums? Best moments of Dance me this? Have you been able to assimilate & enjoy "Wolf harbour" from a musical perspective? Do you think the 20-years delay killed the impact it could have had in 1994 or is it still a revolutionary album?

To be Frank (arf), I have found it a little underwhelming. It's good, but it didn't kick my ass like CP3 and Feeding the Monkies did. I'm hoping it will be a grower.

It's become my favorite synclavier release. I think because Zappa emphasized the *rhythmic* aspect more so than with other synclavier pieces (since it was intended to be used as a musical accompaniment for "modern dance groups"). It is definitely more 'minimal' than CP3, etc. with more spaces between the notes; a more 'breathing' quality overall which I found refreshing, with less of the density of the other synclaiver works. Sometimes I have found the more melodic aspects of Zappa's synclavier compositions to be too "artificial' sounding (strange as the very notion of the synclavier can be considered "artificial" in itself), but with the rhythmic elements/sounds more emphasized over more melodic motifs, I don't get that 'feeling' as much. (I'm probably in the minority here with this though.) The Tuvan throat-singing parts add some nice organic, 'natural' flavor as does Zappa's (way too short!!!!!!!) guitar solo on the first track.
    (The only thing I really don't like is the title!)
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

I think it is one of the better synclavier albums by Zappa. Musically it is very different from anything Zappa has done, so it is also very interesting that way. You might miss melodies. The Tuvians doesn't sing melodies as we are used to hear, the melodies are in the overtones. The other tracks doesn't have much melody either. Or harmonies or a strong rhytmical "rock" pulse, for that matter, in the case of Wolf Harbour. This piece is the highlight for me. It is mostly a piece for percussion ensemble, C20/21 classical style, with some soundscapes - watery sounds, scary sounds and some funny sounds. The percussion instruments sound very realistic, but Zappa has of course also used some sounds that you won't find in a normal percussion ensemble.

Wolf Harbour is the highlight for me too. I'm not going into any details on why the music of that piece does things to my brain because I cant... no clue about structure, composition or the notes - but being a big RIO fan and having tempered myself in Varese and percussion based music - a lot. I guess that could be it. I think the "sound" of the synclavier is better here too. Sounds more refined. I think Civ III is overall better -but this is right up there.

There's no such thing as a final verdict. Especially with someone like Frank.

I couldn't dance to it...

Pretty groovy!

An interesting view into what might have been, but it isn't anything that would get a lot of air time. I LOVE the Tuvan throat singers on this. Theres a great documentary, filmed in part at the end of his life, where they're jamming with the Chieftains in Franks studio space. He was clearly weakened and tired. Glad to hear some of that flavor made it to "tape"

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I LOVE the Tuvan throat singers on this.
    Don't stop there. Huun Huur Tu recorded their throat singing with the Bulgarian Women's Choir Angelite. Thrilling!
    http://www.discogs.com/Bulgarian-Voi...elease/6707965
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

^^^Thanks of the tip...and I haven't stopped there, I have that album, one or two others with Huun Huur Tu, so beautiful!

I still think its fantastic. The one minor drag for me is Wolf Harbor is a bit long, but I think thats only because i haven't heard it enough to enjoy it to the fullest. I love the atmosphere though its really a post apocalyptic harbor
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa