Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We need a Fruup thread! So, here it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

What's the official title of those dudes they use to prowl through allegedly "obscure older stuff" to get things they can freely knick?
    parasite?

^^

good one , Jim
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hands up Londoners, if you're still laughing at the thread title and thinking of thrups....

I agree that they haven't aged very well.

My favorite albums are:

a. Seven Secrets (Faced With Shekinah was probably my preferred song of theirs when I bought the album)
    b. The Prince of Heaven's Eyes

I will revisit all their four LPs this evening;as I have a listening session with some friends at home.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Listening to Future legends right now. I love the opening-track.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I understand they moved to London shortly after signing with Dawn to promote themselves more effectively. They probably should have just stayed in Belfast; little fish, big pool and all that, you know.
    If they'd done that we wouldn't be having this conversation - 70's Belfast was not exactly an entertainment mecca!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

I have always carried a soft spot for Fruupp, as a "second tier / second wave" band they played the smaller towns on the gig circuit and so came through my neck on the woods quite often, we always got along to see them. Price Of Heavens Eyes was a school favourite, but probably because that's the one that had the most exposure to us back then. I had it on vinyl back then, but it disappeared lon ago. Now I have the two twofer CD releases which I think cut a few tracks. It would be good to get the full versions and listen properly again.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    If you've ever wanted to hear Norah Jones sing a Fruupp lyric, here you go
    How did you know?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

What's the official title of those dudes they use to prowl through allegedly "obscure older stuff" to get things they can freely knick?
    Crate-Diggers.

A crate-digger who didn't clear rights put reasonable amount of money in Hugh Hopper's pocket as he was dying and allowed Hugh to pay his rent on his flat for the last half year of his life, thanks to my attorney....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Have their four LP's on vinyl. Great. Liked the first one the most, and it rocks the hardest. Fruupp is one of those lesser known progressives whose members seemed to disappear completely after the band broke up. I do remember reading at the time that they became a three piece for a awhile after the keyboards player left, and the live reviewer (probably on NME) said that the guitar player at last was able to shine again.
    I've heard some live songs on YouTube, where apparently the singer presented each song with a long narrative intro, a la Peter Gabriel on Genesis.
    Also on YouTube there are some videos of the former drummer playing accoustic guitar and singing some new songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    A crate-digger who didn't clear rights put reasonable amount of money in Hugh Hopper's pocket as he was dying and allowed Hugh to pay his rent on his flat for the last half year of his life, thanks to my attorney.
    We're all still anticipating that Cuneiography, you know!

Something tells me there might be an attorney-drought on the part of ol' Fruupp, tho'.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas Trafalgar
    I strongly prefer Future Legends and Prince of Heaven's Eyes; then Modern Masquerades and lastly Seven Secrets
    This is it for me - the first one as a quintessence of their early rocking sound, and then Prince, their peak as a "symphonic" band. The 2nd and 4th LPs I found a bit lacking.

We're all still anticipating that Cuneiography, you know!
    Don't get the joke.

It was this, btw:

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/624...Morning-Order/
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Don't get the joke.

It was this, btw:

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/624...Morning-Order/
    There was no joke intended, so I'm sorry if I made that impression. The anecdote itself certainly contains its share of ambivalence, I suppose - and especially if one knew and admired Hugh H.'s work and thought the best of him. This being said, I couldn't listen to the whole sample; I guess I'll never really grow accustomed to this way of thinking "creatively".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    If you've ever wanted to hear Norah Jones sing a Fruupp lyric, here you go:

According to the booklet that goes with Modern Masquerades, the song-writers are credited, so no wrong-doing there.

Crate-Diggers.

A crate-digger who didn't clear rights put reasonable amount of money in Hugh Hopper's pocket as he was dying and allowed Hugh to pay his rent on his flat for the last half year of his life, thanks to my attorney....
    I'm very glad to hear this Steve - I recall a couple of VDGG songs were sampled quite heavily by rappers and the band didn't get any credit -that app you mentioned helped me track them down -here's a very blatant example of a track that wouldn't have existed without VDGG's 'help' http://www.whosampled.com/sample/341...-Sleepwalkers/

^ ^ ^ ^

Normally, sampling isn't 'credited'.

IF done properly, it's 'licensed' (meaning authorized and paid for). It's paid for and approved but there isn't a credit given.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Good band. Really liked the first three albums!
    The Prog Corner

I had the third and fourth on a two for one a long time ago I think. I thought they were good symphonic but I don't think I can say much more than that. A pleasant listen nonetheless especially for those who like that early to mid seventies Genesis sound. Not that they sound much like Genesis but I think they are in that general category.

The fourth one is the only one I revisit from time to time, I think it is remarkably better than the first 3. But what I don't understand is... why can't anyone spell Fruupp? How hard can it be?

^Kind of like mississippi only in this case two u's and two p's.

Does anyone know the official pronunciation of Fruupp? I have always said it like pup but I've heard some people say it like poop.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^Kind of like mississippi only in this case two u's and two p's.

Does anyone know the official pronunciation of Fruupp? I have always said it like pup but I've heard some people say it like poop.
    Maybe it's like "the pup frew up"

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    The fourth one is the only one I revisit from time to time, I think it is remarkably better than the first 3.
    it's also the most uneven IMHO... hile it's got some of their best stuff, there are a few duds on iy as well.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Don’t know if this was posted, a Fruupp website with lots of interesting information. The POHE stained glass panel really is something!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Official Fruupp Facebook group if anyone is interested? https://www.facebook.com/groups/63773410349/