Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Gong - Radio Gnome Trilogy Remastered

Quote Originally Posted by zzorchering View Post
    From the way Jonny has written it, I'm guessing that the big box will be a Snapper / Madfish release & will be more a "Daevid" oriented set but with loads of early Gong bits thrown in - but NOT including the Virgin / Trilogy stuff? Well, thats the way I'm reading it... I can't imagine they'd include stuff that had already just been released in the Virgin set. I can't wait though - really looking forward to both boxes.
    The way I read it to!

Snapper/Madfish is basically Charly.

http://www.snappermusic.com/

Not exactly, Snapper is the mother company. They own K Scope, Peaceville, Charly and Madfish.
    Different labels but the same team running them.

Another Jonny update / clarification ... (I absolutely can't wait for these boxes!).

"There will be Zero overlap between Universal book/box and Big Gong box. My aim is that they absolutely compliment each other - sort of super enhanced 'public' Gong 73-75 - Universal, then a deeper, immersive Gong - the big box - all years from the beginning to, well now. Still mulling over what should be covered in the big box got a great pencilled in list already - but there is so much to look at and hear, for example we have 3 Paragong gigs, or at least hefty sections of 3 Paragong gigs to examine. Anyway no more idle musing and speculation from me I have a Universal book deadline to meet or we ain't getting nuffink out in June."

Another Jonny update / clarification ... (I absolutely can't wait for these boxes!).

"There will be Zero overlap between Universal book/box and Big Gong box. My aim is that they absolutely compliment each other - sort of super enhanced 'public' Gong 73-75 - Universal, then a deeper, immersive Gong - the big box - all years from the beginning to, well now. Still mulling over what should be covered in the big box got a great pencilled in list already - but there is so much to look at and hear, for example we have 3 Paragong gigs, or at least hefty sections of 3 Paragong gigs to examine. Anyway no more idle musing and speculation from me I have a Universal book deadline to meet or we ain't getting nuffink out in June."
    <drool>

I'm stoked for both boxes!

June. Calender marked.

BTW, new Gong album The Universe Also Collapses in May.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Latest info from Jonny .... Here are the legitimate extended Gong family releases for the first half of 2019:

- The first release of 2019 will be out in a few days - The Invisible Opera Co. of Tibet live at Kozfest 2017. You can pre-order it direct from them right now https://www.brianabbott.info/shop and from Planet Gong as soon as it is released.

- Next up will Mother Gong's Robot Woman Trilogy - which will be in stock at the end of the month

- Gong's new album, 'The Universe Also Collapses', probably preceded by a radio edit of one of the tracks as an internet single, will be out in May. [ This afternoon I was sent a link by Kavus to download the new Gong album 'The Universe Also Collapses'. As I said to him - they had just one job, to make an album that surpassed 'Rejoice I'm Dead'.... f##k me but I think they've done that in spades.... I don't want to write words about it right now, I just want to play it to everybody! Stupendous 20.37 opening track, 'Forever Re-occurring', and I'm singing and singing and singing the last song, 'The Elemental'. "Remember there is only now! Remember there is only now! Remember there is only now! Remember!" "...by George I think they've got it..." Course they have - they're Gong. ]

- Then Universal's 'Love From The Planet Gong' extravaganza.

It is possible something else may make it out in the first 6 months of the year, but it's only at the discussion stage right now, but if it does happen it could happen very quickly and be rather quirkily wonderful.

- Next up will Mother Gong's Robot Woman Trilogy - which will be in stock at the end of the month
    It would be great if they put these out individually - or more specifically the first one. It's been a long time since I heard any of this but I recall that there are diminishing returns over the trilogy.

By the way does anyone know why the two versions of Mother Gong's Tree In Fish are so different...? Or whether it's right that the 1994 release on Tapestry would be the better one to get (as it has much longer running time)?
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I've been watching the Gong on French TV DVD recently. What's there from 1971-1973 is great but there's not much of it... Rehearsal excerpts, TV gig excerpts, a funny video-type thing. But what about bona-fide concert footage from the classic era of Gong? Does any exist anywhere? In the Universal Gong Archive perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I've been watching the Gong on French TV DVD recently. What's there from 1971-1973 is great but there's not much of it... Rehearsal excerpts, TV gig excerpts, a funny video-type thing. But what about bona-fide concert footage from the classic era of Gong? Does any exist anywhere? In the Universal Gong Archive perhaps?
    This, and the Montserrat footage (on another DVD) is all you're ever likely to get. Bands outside the mainstream simply didn't get many opportunities to have their performances immortalised on film. This is even true of much more popular bands who famously had entire stretches of their peak years undocumented on video.

What more Gong there is in the Universal archives appears to have been tapped into exhaustively for the upcoming boxed set, and that's mainly the entire performances from which "Live Etc." was compiled. And of course that's just audio. Recording concerts professionally was a very expensive venture back then.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

^^^ Thanks, Aymeric, I suspected there was little else but good if disappointing to get the definitive answer. I have watched Montserrat on Youtube. It is fun but not worth buying just for that! Shame they didn't put it on the French TV DVD. Maybe it wasn't made for French TV?

I agree with you that many bands from that era have little footage. But it is interesting how much it varies. Soft Machine for example has probably 2 hours worth up on Youtube in addition to several DVDs. I would have thought that Gong would have appeared on most of the same TV shows as Soft Machine and that we might have had some similar footage.

No specific news on the Gong box set, which is due this year. But the GAS site reports that a Steve Hillage album is due for release soon. The three pertinent posts are:

'Thanks to Steve Hillage short interview in the new Mojo magazine, I know what the mystery new disc is !
    It’s called « The Golden Vibe » a 73 minute piece edited from three-and-a-half hours of recordings from 1973 improvising with echo guitar and will be released by Madfish/ Snapper on CD/double vinyl set for June’s Steve Hillage Band gigs…'

Then, from Jonny Greene:

'Correct. When I first heard those recordings I played them straight through several times. To me they sounded like a natural ambient album, it all seemed to work. Steve was happy to choose and include sections of the recordings for Searching For The Spark box but I suggested that that people would enjoy it all and that almost the entire thing could be released on a double of or triple CD!

Okay maybe going a bit far, and you could never release the section where Steve and Miquette play Hendrix's Axis or Are You Experienced (I forget which) for 20-30 minutes through the same effects couldn't be released, but my logic was if I liked the whole thing so would others.

I haven't yet heard what parts Steve has chosen, he is mastering it this week so I look forward hearing what's on the menu for this unique release soon.'

And finally, posted by Jonny on April 13:

'The artwork and design for the Golden Vibe double LP and single CD is being completed over the weekend for proofing on Tuesday. With a following wind hope to have copies for the June Steve Hillage gigs.'

Robot Woman trilogy! Thank you!!!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

How’s the new Gong album people who now own the new Gong album?

I’m just waiting for a domestic retailer to get some copies.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

I have a review up here: https://strawberrybricks.com/guide/r...also-collapses
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Oh man. That sounds quite good.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Bands outside the mainstream simply didn't get many opportunities to have their performances immortalised on film. This is even true of much more popular bands who famously had entire stretches of their peak years undocumented on video.
    This is unfortunately true. Back in the 70's, the only way you could really do a professional film or video shoot is if you had a specific project in mind, usually. That means either you were doing something for TV (e.g. the Queen Xmas '75 concert) or you're planning to do a concert film (e.g. Yessongs, Genesis In Concert, etc).

Typically, a band couldn't afford to film anything and not at least do something with it. The only example I can think of where that happened was the Genesis Shepperton footage from the Selling England By The Pound tour. I'm not sure why that concert was filmed, but I'm assuming they must have a particular project in mind, and only mothballed it because they were dissatisfied in whichever manner with the outcome. I can assure you they didn't film that just so that they could have the footage around 15 years later to use in documentaries on the band's history, or so that fans could trade bootlegged copies of it.

The other example I can think of where the majority of the footage was suppressed (some what) was the Pink Floyd video shoot at the Omni in Atlanta, on the A Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour. But they at least used the footage for the videos for Dogs Of War and On The Turning Away (and I think a couple songs got used as single B-sides too). But they actually filmed three nights, with the intent of putting out a concert video, but decided it was "too early" on the tour, or whatever. Of course, three nights later, they probably already recouped whatever monies they lost by filming three full concerts, and then deciding the results weren't "good enough" for release.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    This is unfortunately true. Back in the 70's, the only way you could really do a professional film or video shoot is if you had a specific project in mind, usually. That means either you were doing something for TV (e.g. the Queen Xmas '75 concert) or you're planning to do a concert film (e.g. Yessongs, Genesis In Concert, etc).

Typically, a band couldn't afford to film anything and not at least do something with it. The only example I can think of where that happened was the Genesis Shepperton footage from the Selling England By The Pound tour. I'm not sure why that concert was filmed, but I'm assuming they must have a particular project in mind, and only mothballed it because they were dissatisfied in whichever manner with the outcome. I can assure you they didn't film that just so that they could have the footage around 15 years later to use in documentaries on the band's history, or so that fans could trade bootlegged copies of it.

The other example I can think of where the majority of the footage was suppressed (some what) was the Pink Floyd video shoot at the Omni in Atlanta, on the A Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour. But they at least used the footage for the videos for Dogs Of War and On The Turning Away (and I think a couple songs got used as single B-sides too). But they actually filmed three nights, with the intent of putting out a concert video, but decided it was "too early" on the tour, or whatever. Of course, three nights later, they probably already recouped whatever monies they lost by filming three full concerts, and then deciding the results weren't "good enough" for release.
    There is also a concert of Jethro Tull in Paris (75?) that was filmed but nether used. That is often blamed on Ian's cod piece
    he was wearing during the gig.

Most of the Audio (with some very interresting parts missing) where released on one of those book format rereleases though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There is also a concert of Jethro Tull in Paris (75?) that was filmed but nether used. That is often blamed on Ian's cod piece

Most of the Audio (with some very interresting parts missing) where released on one of those book format rereleases though.
    I certainly remember a full Tull concert seen around 78 on TVO (TV Ontario) that I've never seen used as a bootleg or official release... If I remember well, it was +/- the sale stuff(set list) found on Bursting Out (which a total compilation, I know), but a bit harder rocking.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I certainly remember a full Tull concert seen around 78 on TVO (TV Ontario) that I've never seen used as a bootleg or official release... If I remember well, it was +/- the sale stuff(set list) found on Bursting Out (which a total compilation, I know), but a bit harder rocking.
    Maybe Madison Square Garden '78 or Capital Center '77 both had offical releases though rather late.
    (MSG I think in 2009 and Capital Center was on one of the book format reissues 1 or 2 years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Did his codpiece interfere with the amplifiers or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    No of course not, but Ian seems to be very much ashamed of wearing that afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

It's very, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    it capted , captured, focalised and magnetised all of the females' attention, however few they were at Tull concerts in those years

If The Mad Flauter is ashamed of wearing that, it's probably because he got more male attention than female in the long run
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I just picked up a used copy of this compilation a couple weeks ago by chance: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=9459

Now it looks like I should have just waited (didn't really pay much attention to this thread until now).
    <sig out of order>