Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes' Jon Davison plays Rush with Foo Fighters- New!

Yes' Jon Davison plays Rush with Foo Fighters- New!

Pretty cool intro speel from Taylor. He and Jon grew up together.

There's a funny bit too.

"We tried to learn a Yes song and ran out of time, they are too fu&*#@g hard!" - Dave Grohl

Jon kinda Yes-es it up with some vocal embellishments.... Check it out.
    Last edited by Sean; 09-20-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Knew about the connection--it;s how Yes met JD thru Chris as Chris was a good friend to Foo Fighters--- if his voice was stronger JD would be a better replacement for Getty lol than JA.

That was cool!
    Thanks for sharing.

Awesome! I love Foo Fighters, I'm really fired up because I have a ticket to see them tomorrow night at the Inglewood Forum, which is an incredible venue since it was remodeled.

Thanks so much for posting that.
    ...or you could love

That was sooo cool! Thanks, Sean!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

made my day. excellent!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

If you would have told me in 1992 that the drummer of Nirvana would one day be playing guitar in a band unironically covering a Rush song with the singer from Yes, I would have thought you were crazy.

Foo Fighters members have always been fans of some prog---they played Watcher of the Skies for Genesis induction in R&R Hall of Fame---they have sited Yes Genesis Rush as influences.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Foo Fighters members have always been fans of some prog---they played Watcher of the Skies for Genesis induction in R&R Hall of Fame---they have sited Yes Genesis Rush as influences.
    That was Phish.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I think he's thinking of them playing Rush for Rush's RRHOF induction.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Pretty cool. The Foos always seem to have a good time. Jon did a nice job with "Tom Sawyer", though his voice is a little soft for that song.
    Chad

That was a lot of fun! He messed up one line and it sounded like he said something other than "defense" the two times "his reserve a quiet defense" was sung.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    He messed up one line and it sounded like he said something other than "defense" the two times "his reserve a quiet defense" was sung.
    Might've been deferens.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    If you would have told me in 1992 that the drummer of Nirvana would one day be playing guitar in a band unironically covering a Rush song with the singer from Yes, I would have thought you were crazy.
    If you told me in 1992 that Yes would have existed continuously until in 2015, but it would not at that time include Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Rick Wakeman, Trevor Rabin or Chris Squire, I'd have thought you were crazy.

That was too cool man. It reminded me of when Grohl was being interviewed on 102.1 The Edge years ago and the DJ told him how that station influenced the RUSH song Spirit Of Radio. So Grohl says that the band will play a RUSH song the next day as they were doing a live outdoor set at the station. Anyway the next day Grohl says we didn't have enough time to learn a song 'cause their music is too hard.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That was Phish.
    And they were terrible.

So we can surmise that Yes music is harder to replicate than Rush music?
    I knew it!

Speaking of Foo Fighters, I think Dave Grohl's direction of "Sonic Highways" and "Studio City" films were amazing and very, very well done
    Sonic Highways is in heavy rotation on my CD player now

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Pretty cool. The Foos always seem to have a good time. Jon did a nice job with "Tom Sawyer", though his voice is a little soft for that song.
    Yeah, that clip proves that he may have a high voice with a great range, but JD is not a belter. I'd like to see him really try something like a Daltrey-esque scream some time.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I went to the Foo Fighters show at the Inglewood Forum last night, I had a great time. I started chatting with this guy in the parking lot on the way in about the recent Foos shows he'd seen, he'd been in Anaheim for the Tom Sawyer, he liked it. He'd recently seen Yes with Toto, in his words "Yes phoned it in, they should just quit". Then out of nowhere he offered me a ticket on the GA floor, his buddy was stuck at work. I had a ticket but it was 2 rows from the back wall, I told the guy he didn't need to do that. "You seem cool and you like the band, go for it". I gave my seat to a 20-something who was looking for a ticket. Best of all, no money changed hands. I've had some tough times with my fellow human beings in the last week, it restored my faith in humanity.

The remodeled Forum is a great concert venue, it's strictly for music, not a hockey/basketball arena that holds concerts. I've been there three times since the remodel, the sound has been top-notch every time. It was packed, a good cross-section of teens > 50-somethings like me. I started talking to this group of people by the soundboard, they'd all had tickets to see The Who at Staples Center but that got canceled a few days ago because of Roger Daltrey's illness. They went on StubHub and got tickets, it was a 50th birthday present for one of the guys. I had a great time reminiscing with them about all the great concerts and Lakers & Kings games we'd seen there.

Set list (it changes every night, so not a spoiler):

All My Life / Times Like These / Learn to Fly / Something From Nothing / The Pretender / Big Me / Congregation / Walk / Eruption (Van Halen snippet during band intro) / Tom Sawyer (Snippet with Jack Black on vocals) / Another One Bites the Dust (Snippet during band intro) / Cold Day in the Sun / My Hero / White Limo / Arlandria / Outside / Breakout / Under Pressure (Queen & David Bowie cover, Taylor Hawkins sang Freddie's part) / Best of You / Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (With Stevie Nicks & Haim) / Gold Dust Woman (With Stevie Nicks & Haim) / These Days / This Is a Call / Everlong

The sound was a bit muddy at first but the lighting and video part of it was top-notch. Grohl's throne moved on a track out in to the audience, I was by the soundboard. The first block of songs from All My Life > Something For Nothing was great, for me the setlist dragged a bit in the middle. It's the first time I'd seen them live, I wanted to hear more of their songs, not covers. Jack Black got a great reception, to be honest, he sang the snippet they did of Tom Sawyer better than Jon Davison did in the clip, he had better top notes. Stevie Nicks got a great reception too, while her voice is showing its wear and tear, she let rip this high note that was amazing. I loathed that version of Fleetwood Mac in the late 70's, you simply couldn't escape them, The Eagles and Jackson Browne no matter how hard you tried, they ruled Los Angeles radio and people's stereos, but I do like the song Stop Draggin' My Heart Around. The Foos did a good job backing her, though I wished they'd toned down the guitar histrionics a bit.

The Foos are a great live act, it's amazing to me that Dave Grohl managed to totally rock out in that throne, he took advantage of something that could have been a real drag. They have a tight rhythm section, Taylor Hawkins is a really good player though he's not even the best drummer in the band! They use the three guitars well, not a lot of flashy soloing but well thought-out guitar parts. How Dave Grohl still has a voice is unreal, he let out some screams that would have shredded mere mortals voices, though his voice sort of gave out a bit during the last three songs. I really liked that they didn't do the stupid encore thing of pretending to end for applause, Grohl mocked that whole nonsense. He also noted that Pat Smear's first concert ever was seeing Stevie Wonder open for the Rolling Stones at the Forum in 1972, lucky bastard!

I had a great time last night, if you like this band and have a chance to go see them, GO.
    Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 09-22-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    ...or you could love

Messed up some lines but pretty cool regardless. Not a Foo fan, but Grohl repeatedly does cool stuff like this (see under pressure cover with JPJ and Roger Taylor from a few weeks back).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Then out of nowhere he offered me a ticket on the GA floor, his buddy was stuck at work. I had a ticket but it was 2 rows from the back wall, I told the guy he didn't need to do that. "You seem cool and you like the band, go for it". I gave my seat to a 20-something who was looking for a ticket. Best of all, no money changed hands.
    That is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That is awesome.
    Yes it is. Very cool story!