Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you get chills from new music?

Do you get chills from new music?

I still am blown away from music I first heard back in the 70s. And, since then, I have continued to look for new music that would excite me in the same way. But, since the 80s, that hasn't happened. I have heard new stuff that I enjoy greatly, but it doesn't reach the heights of the early material.

Yes. Yes I do.

Yes.

Magma- Slag Tanz
    Ghost Rhythms- Madeline

These were the first two that popped into my head. Both released this year.

Yes. The last time was when I heard Kompendium for the first time; some Gazpacho songs had the same effect (for instance Will To Leave and Hell Freezes Over III).

If I keep the thermostat at 55 or less, yes I do.

I do, and tears too on occasion. The new Advent, the indie-proggish 'Young Dreams', from Norway, Tony Banks' latest orchestral and keyboard instrumental music from his box, the promo clip for the new Thieves' Kitchen all did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If I keep the thermostat at 55 or less, yes I do.
    Funny comment. Like it.

Suspended
    Yep. Not as often as I used to in the 60's and 70's though.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 09-20-2015 at 02:55 AM.

The first time I heard Moorea Dickason & MoeTar, a pattern was set that hasn't altered one bit yet. Her talent (& that of the band as well) is just staggering to me.

"To me" means the same as imo imo.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Yep. Not as often as I used to in the 690's and 70's though.
    Especially the 690's.

Yes for sure. The flower Kings have done that to me many times. Right now, there are definitely some tracks on the new Riverside that are fitting the bill.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Especially the 690's.
    Well spotted.

Yes i do. Not so often anymore , but every now and then. Both neal morse and magic pies latest have parts that gives me chill.

Once in a while, yes, but not nearly as often as in the past.

Absolutely. From where I sit, if you can't find newer music that moves your soul, makes you dance, or sends chills down your spine, you ain't lookin' hard enough.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Magenta - Home (title track from the album, especially when the guitar solo kicks in), the end of Lust
    Phideaux - Crumble (vocal version)
    Flower Kings - Stardust we are
    IQ - Narrow Margin, Further Away
    Panic Room - Firefly, Reborn, The Dreaming, Sunshine, Muse, others
    Phish - Tela the guitar solo at the end of any of the live versions

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Flower Kings - Stardust we are
    IQ - Narrow Margin
    Not to pick on your fine choices, but just get chuckles a bit at the thought of referencing music now almost 20 years old as 'new'.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Not to pick on your fine choices, but just get chuckles a bit at the thought of referencing music now almost 20 years old as 'new'.
    You know where I sit on this one PY.... so many folk are missing out on the joy... and there are bands that are a lot less than 20 years old :-)

Sure do.One very recent example.Not exactly new,from 2005 but i figure,close enough.As i listened to this eight minute composition, i had the sense that it went by in 2 minutes.

Last edited by walt; 09-20-2015 at 04:53 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Absolutely. From where I sit, if you can't find newer music that moves your soul, makes you dance, or sends chills down your spine, you ain't lookin' hard enough.
    Well, I listen to the Gagliarchive and internet prog stations, check out recommendations from people on PE and reviews from prog mags along with their accompanying CDs, etc.

I've heard a fair amount, such as Animals As Leaders and Motoi Sakuraba, that I really enjoy, but nothing moves me like the old stuff.

Agreed. It is out there.

I will say that there is something to finding a type of music (or a new band) at a certain age - say teens or twenties. After that, IMO, there tends to be a bit less ease of putting the world aside and just letting the music hit you. But, IMO, that is more about where people are in life than the music available. I still find plenty of stuff that stirs the soul as you put it. I just don't sit around in a darkened room listening to it in the same manner as I did years ago. I frequently am listening to music for the first time while working, or doing some sort of chores, or even driving which is hardly the best way to put something new on. But, new music still excites me and there is plenty there that I love. BTW - that doesn't mean I don't still enjoy listening to music from decades past and I particularly enjoy catching live music from some of those older artists knowing the opportunities to listen to the music of those days are waning.

it doesn't happen very often. I can think of 4 examples in the last few years.
    The first Anathema I ever heard was Thin Air and for The Pineapple Thief it was Nothing at Best, both had me hooked instantly.
    But it was two less proggy acts that really gave me those shivers down the spine - Jo Hamilton's album Gown and the re-invented Charlotte Church.

Suspended
    You might get the chills from this particular bit of new music:

http://www.cityandsound.com/tracks/c...ica-says-hello

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The first time I heard Moorea Dickason & MoeTar, a pattern was set that hasn't altered one bit yet. Her talent (& that of the band as well) is just staggering to me.

"To me" means the same as imo imo.
    Agreed. They live a few miles from me. I'm seeing Points North, MoeTar, and Nili Brosh at the Brick and Mortar in San Francisco next Saturday night for $12! That is a lineup!

Most definitely. I hear as much or more great music being made today than all that I hear from the the 70s, and I know the latter decade fairly well by now.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM