Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you still get chills like you did the first time you heard....?

I went through a kick not too long ago where I was listening to David Bowie's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars album a lot,... with the idea that I was transporting my mind back to Jr High and could remember what I was feeling and thinking. It's amazing how that's possible. And it's amazing how the basic person is there... i just didn't know as much. I now know how the chords work and the arrangements work etc. Before I just knew they were "soo cool man". Rock n Roll Suicide and 5 Years and Soul Love... I could feel all of those desperate, borderline suicidal, but simultaneously lofty romantic feelings all over again... like being in a movie or something (which the lyrics even talk about).

There are a few songs that I feel are profound over and over and over again (chills, transcendence etc). They are:

Awaken by Yes (that is the standout magic composition to my ears - chills and tears at the end every time).

Nevermore by UK (the ending guitar melody, and how it changes with the chords the second time it's quoted and drifts off. I swear I think I can hear the profound sadness and grief behind Allan Holdsworth's alcoholism in that playing (or perhaps my own).

Night Meets Light by the Dixie Dregs (amazing undefinable masterpiece of a composition).

A Song for All Seasons by Renaissance (I always get this out in the Fall,... still blows my mind and brings tears at the end)

Mad Man Moon by Genesis (If for nothing else than the lyrical insights... I'd "welcome a horse's kick" indeed)

Cinderella Ballet (Suite) by Prokofiev (this music speaks to me as if I were hearing a speech that was reciting hidden truths and revelations every other sentence. Prokofiev works in a language that is like you always had known it intimately, but had never heard it uttered before. I overheard this music on a tv in the next room many years ago and was immediately blown away).

Honorable mention: To Our Children's Children's Children by the Moody Blues and In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson.
    Last edited by ProgMusician; 09-22-2015 at 01:10 AM.
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

Jeff Beck's - Cause we ended as Lovers on blow by Blow
    David Sancious and Tone - True Stories, Ever The Same - all of the beautiful vocal passages get me every time.

Really happy to see these two mentioned! I like to listen to the many versions of CWEAL by JB; there's always some little nuance that makes each one special. There are several songs on the Sancious and Tone - True Stories album that bring on this feeling, with Ever the Same right near the top for me. I know exactly where I heard it first, though this brings on a touch of sadness since my good friend and bass player Dale who introduced it to me is no longer with us - - - - Jeff

Ye gads...!! PE making lists again. Two tracks I can remember being blown away by on hearing for the first time.

ELP : opening to Karn Evil Nine (cold and misty morning....)
    Beach Boys : Our Prayer

My two favourite ever tracks however are Genesis Dance on a Volcano and the Stones Brown Sugar.
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    After thousands of repeat listenings over almost 50 years, Love's "Forever Changes" to this day remains relevant and exciting for me. Can't say that about any other album iirc.

This album is visionary as well as pretty much flawless imo. Without hesitation, the one album I would choose if I only had one to pick for the desert island.
    You know, I just might have to agree with that. It's almost a perfect record. I NEVER get tired of it. But, I've only been listening to it for 30 years

Suspended
    Funny how these hypothetical desert islands always seem to come supplied with CD players and/or turntables.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Funny how these hypothetical desert islands always seem to come supplied with CD players and/or turntables.
    Of course, otherwise one wouldn't have to chose a desert island disc.

Suspended
    "Desert island Discs" top 5:

5. Harry Belafonte - Island in the Sun
    4. The Saints - I'm Stranded
    3. Blondie - Island of Lost Souls
    2. Sailor - Blue Desert

1. David Gilmour- On an Island

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    A technological issue that has always been ignored....!

Actually now it would be feasible to have a "desert iPod", if you could rig a way to recharge it using solar means. With 500 albums on it