Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you still get chills like you did the first time you heard....?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Sure.. end of Suppers Ready, beginning of CTTE.. Soon section of Gates.. I could go on and on...
    The bridge during Stumpy for example

It's not an easy thing to quantify, but it's a feeling upon hearing certain music for the first time and thinking, "yes, this is EXACTLY the kind of music I've been waiting for..." Albums that come to mind - Humble Pie's "Smokin'"... the first 6 Yes albums with Steve Howe... certain parts of Thick as a Brick... all of these, if I make the listening a special experience, i.e. not while I'm driving the car, not while I'm working around the house with the music as background noise... if I make it a special occasion to just sit with a cup of tea and focus on the music, that's when it hits me again, that sense of wonder and awe....
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Alice Cooper -Love it to Death thru Billion Dollar Babies gets me every time.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Love seeing Humble Pie and Alice Cooper mentioned along with the prog classics. The classic 7 Mott The Hoople albums do the same for me, as do James Gang Rides Again, Close To The Edge, Deep Purple Fireball, the 4 Mountain albums, Traffic's John Barleycorn and Low Spark, etc., etc., etc. And IZZ 's I Move is another one....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Those are the two best songs from my favorite Yes album. I get the same reaction every time I play them. I'm still floored by those songs.
    I'm guilty as well. But Fragile is the only Yes album that's evergreen for my ears. The production is superb. After that, the high frequency shrill creeped in. I can't seem to get through CTTE anymore, but I do adore Steve Howe's beautiful melody playing just before the vocals come in.

Some other choice tracks that always give me a thrill are:

Brand X-Disco Suicide
    Bruford-Hell's Bells
    Genesis-Cinema Show from "Seconds Out" Tony Banks's playing on this is superb!
    Gary Green's solo on Peel The Paint
    Most of Santana's Moonflower
    2nd movement from Bartok's Concerto For Orchestra
    Eric Dolphy's alto sax solo on Oliver Nelson's tune, Three Seconds
    Jaco's Teen Town
    Mike Keneally-Voyage To Manhood, such a wacky rockin' tune with a killer instrumental break.
    Lots of Zappa, but the intro to The Black Page (New Age Version) when FZ walks onstage is the pinnacle.

OK, that's enough prog geek gushing for one weekend...

Three songs come to mind: Firth of Fifth, awaken, and PT's Lazarus.

Hendrix.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Musical Box for me. Chills every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Most of Santana's Moonflower
    Europa anyone?

Jeff Beck's - Cause we ended as Lovers on blow by Blow
    David Sancious and Tone - True Stories, Ever The Same - all of the beautiful vocal passages get me every time.
    Toto - 09 - A Thousand Years from the 7th One
    Donald Fagen - IGY from The Nightfly
    Yellowjackets - 1981 - s-t, this whole album is stunning.
    Frank Zappa - Black Napkins from zoot allures
    Phil Keaggy - his Beyond Nature and The Wind and the Wheat are both moving.
    Gino Vannelli - 1978 - Brother to Brother
    The first 2 Ambrosia albums
    Yes, Heart of the sunrise, To Be Over, And You and I, I've Seen All Good People, We have heaven, Long Distance Runaround, etc/.
    Jethro Tull - Elegy from Stormwatch, Conundrum from bursting Out, And Further On from "A"
    ELP - Still...You Turn Me On
    UK - Mental Medication from UK/ Carrying No Cross from Danger Money
    Both original 70's HTM
    Nova - The Princess and the Frog from Vimana
    ------
    Really this happens from too ofter around here. Too many to mention.

Suspended
    Elton John - Ticking

I forgot to mention Rush - "Farewell to Kings" album.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Suspended
    The Beatles did one song that does this for me: Eleanor Rigby.

Nite sprite

I was just listening to Dissonata from The Flower King. Chills every time.
    Sitting on the field at Progday hearing Oblivion Sun play some old Happy The Man tunes chills and a rush of memories from the 70's
    CTTE and Relayer
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

For me:

Kohntarokosz- Magma Every single time I hear it, no matter which version, it slays me.
    Transition- John Coltrane This is the composition where jazz finally made sense to me.
    Good call on Annie Haslam at the end of Scheherezade I saw it live and it seemed she held that note for hours. When she released it, the crowd went nuts.
    Somebody to Love- Jefferson Airplane It was Jack Casady that did it.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Nice, Bill!!! I'm so happy to hear that you have and know Movin' On. Obviously it's a disservice to derail this thread toward a particular album, but I'd love to hear if it affects you differently, hearing it with your 'different ears'.
    Well, spun this last night. No chills, but I did enjoy it. Cheered me up after a tough Football loss by my Alma Mater (UMass). I really wish Circus' first album would be reissued on CD. Does anyone have it? Is it any good?

Bill

I get that feeling everytime I play The Notorious Byrd Brothers and that's often. Listening to almost anything by Clarence White does the same thing. The only other band that does that for me is the Strawbs, particularly the Bursting at the Seams LP.

I once said to my daughter, "I almost can't wait to get Alzhiemer's because then my entire music collection will be brand new to me, and I'll thrill over discovering the Strawbs for the second time." She retorted, "Yeah, but what if you don't like it and you prefer disco?"
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I once said to my daughter, "I almost can't wait to get Alzhiemer's because then my entire music collection will be brand new to me, and I'll thrill over discovering the Strawbs for the second time." She retorted, "Yeah, but what if you don't like it and you prefer disco?"
    ROFLMAO!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkil View Post
    A few weeks ago, I put Fragile on for the first time in a year or so and as soon as South Side came on, I was transported back to the first time I heard it as a teen. The same thing happened during Heart of the Sunrise. What I'm asking is are there any albums or songs (prog or not) that still give you that same feeling as when you heard them for the first time? I remember playing both those tunes over and over when I first got the record and not being able to wait until I got to school the next day to tell my friends what I'd heard. There are a few other things that give me the same feelings too - PF's More album (I adore the 68 - 72 era), Fountain of Salmacis, Shadow of the Heirophant... I find myself smiling and enjoying these songs/records like it was the first time I heard them.
    Does this happen to anyone else out there?

I first heard "Folksvong", the part where there is chanting actually sent a chill through me....not sure why...

I have a few other songs that do that too me...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

In my case these are a few of the ones that still give me "chills" (when in the mood).

Genesis / Firth of Fifth (the Steve Hackett's memorable guitar playing in this one)
    Genesis / Cinema Show (Tony Banks most beautiful keyboaord solo ever)
    Genesis / Can Utility (the whole song)
    Yes / And You and I
    Yes / Wakeman's amazing keybord solos in the Remembering
    Yes - Awaken
    Rick Wakeman's Knight of the round table (The Last Battle)
    Kayak's "Niniane"
    ELP - Ces't La Vie
    Camel - A Boys life
    Camel - Coming of Age
    Abba - Like an Angel Passing Trough My Room
    ELO - Shangri La
    CSN - Carried Away
    Alan Parsons Project - Sience and I
    Alan Parsons Project - Shadow Of A Lonely Man
    Blackfield - Rising Of The Tide
    Elton John - Shoot Down the Moon
    Elton John - Cry to Heaven
    Elton John - Blessed
    Gazpacho - Will to Leave
    The Moody Blues - The Day We Meet Again
    The Moody Blues - Watching and Waiting
    Jon Anderson - Change We Must
    Jon and Vangelis - So Long Ago, So Clear
    Klaatu - The Loneliest of Creatures

These are jsut a few form top of my head. I'm sure there are many more.

IQ - Leap of Faith
    KC - Starless
    Anglagard - Sista Somrar (more raw emotion than "chills" per se)
    Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (mostly side 2 for emotional effect)
    flute juice

To go back to my mid-teens:

La Belle Epoque - Black is Black
    Scott Fitzgerald & Yvonne Keeley - If I Had Words
    Marshall Hain - Dancing in the City
    Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
    ELO - Mr Blue Sky
    Althea and Donna - Uptown Top Ranking
    Rose Royce - Wishing on a star
    ELP - Karn Evil 9 - First Impression (I must have played this every morning before school for about a year)
    Genesis - And then there were three (first prog album, also played to death)
    Roy Harper - One of those days in England
    Pink Floyd - Us and Them through Eclipse
    Mountain - Nantucket Sleighride
    Led Zeppelin - Custard Pie
    Jethro Tull - Cold Wind to Valhalla
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Genesis - Supper's Ready from Seconds Out

Oh yeah!

Tons of stuff.

But for me, it has nothing to do with nostalgia, and everything to do with the pure quality of the music. I hardly ever get taken back to a certain time period when listening to something that I discovered in my youth.

Either the music holds up based purely on it's quality, or it does not, I don't care how great of a period of my life it was when I discovered some band or piece of music, if the music does not hold up, I could care less if it brings me back to some happy time.

The first 4 PFM albums have quite a few chill inducing moments.
    Terje Rypdal - Whenever I Seem to be Far Away
    Genesis - Lamia, the last half of Suppers Ready, most of side 4 of The Lamb.
    Yes - Gates of Delirium, Awaken, Close to the edge.
    Zappa - Inca Roads, too many others.
    National Health - almost all.
    Stravinsky - Firebird, Rite of Spring (that opening bassoon!)
    Bartok - Music for Strings, percussion and Celesta, Concerto for Orchestra,
    Magma - KA, MDK
    UK - 'Presto Vivace' section

So many others...

RtF, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Keith Jarrett, Elliot Carter, Pain of Salvation, Samuel Barber (1st piano concerto!) , Penderecki, Camel, Happy the Man, KC
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell