Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gentle Giant Octopus Deluxe Edition Reissue Details

Listening to Think Of Me With Kindness in 5.1 and it sounds just beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Listening to Think Of Me With Kindness in 5.1 and it sounds just beautiful.
    A lovely track. I haven't made my way all the way through the disc yet but that will be the highlight for me.

If you haven't heard, this debuted in the UK charts (rock) at #34. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Innerviews View Post
    If you haven't heard, this debuted in the UK charts (rock) at #34. Amazing.
    Nowadays you probably have to sell at least fifteen copies to do that.

If you liked the video effects on P&TG you will likewise enjoy the Octopus floating around it is hypnotic at times.

I have played everything that was offered and I gotta say Steven hit this one out of the park. The 5.1 is stunning but not overbearing and he does provide as usual,the original 1972 mix for purists. If you are a GG fan this is a must.

Knots (instrumental) is hilarious because of the a capella vocal parts you know and love that aren't there...we are treated to a Metronome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Nowadays you probably have to sell at least fifteen copies to do that.
    It's sandwiched between Green Day and Led Zeppelin. Perhaps those artists have sold at least 15 copies.

In any given week sale of about 1,000 units will chart you these days.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    In any given week sale of about 1,000 units will chart you these days.
    And you know this definitively, how, exactly?

And you know this definitively, how, exactly?
    That figure may be accurate on one particular chart covering a particular genre in a particular country for a particular week but isn't a baseline for all music sales. Cracking the Billboard Top 200 album charts in the US last week required sales significantly more than 1,000. The number will change week to week depending on the sales velocity of the marketplace, and varies from chart to chart.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

It's at #34. It's in between Green Day and Led Zeppelin reissues. It means initial sales were incredibly strong out of the gate.

I guess people just want to shit all over things at ever given opportunity, even when a band that truly deserves the spotlight finally get it.

Nice.

It's at #34. It's in between Green Day and Led Zeppelin reissues. It means initial sales were incredibly strong out of the gate.

I guess people just want to shit all over things at ever given opportunity, even when a band that truly deserves the spotlight finally get it.

Nice.
    Cool your jets. Nobody is shitting on anything. Speaking just for myself, I was making a rueful comment about the state of (what's left of) the record industry and the low sales of physical media. I love Gentle Giant and wish them all the best, but look at that chart and be realistic. Those Led Zeppelin and Green Day albums you're touting, like so many entries on that chart, are old catalog albums that have been coasting along on the charts for years. How many people--and remember we're talking about the UK only--are still buying those albums every week? If GG were rubbing shoulders with a new release by those artists, now that would be impressive.

Absolutely- it's great that its selling and doing well but it's just reality that that doesn't mean what it once would.