Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 45 Years today Jimi left us to "Kiss the Sky" your thoughts

I think the poster who stated that may have meant it as how "our" music will be recognized by people living in 2115, or 2215...i.e., when the centuries of past music are looked back upon by people a century from now, I think Hendrix, Zappa, and The Beatles will be regarded in the same light as Beethoven and Mozart. I think he was aiming at future context.

Band Of Gypsys is still my favorite album by Jimi. Usually I'd never pick a live album as a fave by any band but for this one I'll make an exception.
    I still love Are You Experienced? the most, but that album and it's companion Live at the Fillmore East show what potential Band of Gypsys had. This is also a terrific album from them:

band-of-gypsys-baggys-rehearsal.jpg

My favorite L.A. new wave/prog band from the 1980's
    Loved them, saw them a bunch of times on the L.A. club scene.

he same status as Beethoven, Mozart?????????? You are joking right?
    I suspect you overlooked this part, which I've bolded:

the status of other musical greats at the top of their field such as Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Stravinsky, Coltrane, Miles Davis, the list goes on and on.

The first four are classical composers, the next two jazz, Hendrix would be rock. I don't think it's a stretch at all to call Hendrix a "musical great at the top of [his] field".
    ...or you could love

,,,and not that it matters but "Third Stone From The Sun" stands alone as a rock/jazz/prog Master Statement.

I guess Jimi was and will always be at the top of the Rock music field just like the Beatles. And I'm not joking by putting him in the same league as the classical, jazz and/or rock greats. Yes, he was stoned, yes he didn't read or write music. But none of that matters. It's the music that came out of him, and the creative energy of his guitar playing that made him like no one else in his time. Some people put him down for his drug use, and sadly he wasn't a survivor. But drug use was and still is widely used today as it was then. No one can really say, but I suspect that his use of LSD and marijuana actually enhanced his creativity. Most of his peers were doing the same as him, some survived and unfortunately some didn't. Like it or not, Jimi was just a very special musical entity.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Some places in musical history are firmly cemented, regardless of how much one likes or dislikes that particular music. Hendrix holds one of those places.

The most sobering thing to me is that it has indeed been 45 years . . . . . . . . .
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

....and Jimi's musings near the end of his life, in most interviews, pointed toward his frustration. At the time, he became more of a cultural symbol (as the peerless Charles Shaar Murray put it (paraphrased)..."Jimi doing his 'Beautiful Spade' routine"). I think Jimi felt he unwittingly put himself in a box...his lack of self confidence in his talent was always apparent...the "stories" about him saying he thought Rory Gallagher and Terry Kath were better guitarists than him are out there. I choose to believe that they are true anecdotes, as they speak to Jimi's humility and reverence for great musicians. It was not in him to be arrogant, and he was always willing to notice other guitarists at that time could do things he couldn't feel, or do...yet! He knew he could learn from everyone, and wasn't afraid to express his admiration.

It is funny, I was thinking the other day about if Jimi lived and was around in the late 70s. What would he have made of Eddie Van, and Randy Rhoads?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Is he still the greatest guitarist of all time? If not, who?
    No that is a toss up between Howe and Hackett.

....and Jimi's musings near the end of his life, in most interviews, pointed toward his frustration. At the time, he became more of a cultural symbol (as the peerless Charles Shaar Murray put it (paraphrased)..."Jimi doing his 'Beautiful Spade' routine")
    His frustration was understandable. He had big problems with the business side of his career, partly because he had hired people to take care of that part of his career and he was exploited. He really needed someone like Peter Grant, who managed Led Zeppelin and really knew how to deal with record companies and concert promoters and the media. He was under pressure from the Black Panther/Black Power movements to become more radical about racial issues and quit playing with those damn honkies. He was caught in that period between the remnants of Beatlemania/British Invasion where musicians and bands were strictly controlled by record companies and managers and the freedom and the self-control that was to come in the 70's. He died just as recording and concert technology were blossoming, like I mentioned earlier who knows what he'd have done with synthesizers? He was stuck playing stuff like Foxy Lady and Fire that he was sick of because he thought his fans wanted that and was unsure how his new material would be received. He was really excited about Band of Gypsies but that imploded in spectacular fashion. Here's a brief Wikipedia account of the only other gig they did after the four sets at the Fillmore East:

On January 28, 1970, a third and final Band of Gypsys appearance took place; they performed during a music festival at Madison Square Garden benefiting the anti-Vietnam War Moratorium Committee titled the "Winter Festival for Peace".American blues guitarist Johnny Winter was backstage before the concert; he recalled: "[Hendrix] came in with his head down, sat on the couch alone, and put his head in his hands ... He didn't move until it was time for the show." Minutes after taking the stage he snapped a vulgar response at a woman who had shouted a request for "Foxy Lady". He then began playing "Earth Blues" before telling the audience: "That's what happens when earth fucks with space". Moments later, he briefly sat down on the drum riser before leaving the stage. Both Miles and Redding later stated that Jeffery had given Hendrix LSD before the performance. Miles believed that Jeffery gave Hendrix the drugs in an effort to sabotage the current band and bring about the return of the original Experience lineup. Jeffery fired Miles after the show and Cox quit, ending the Band of Gypsys
    No doubt he was having substance abuse problems, but that hardly made him unique during that time period. I really think that if he'd lived and started working with Miles Davis like there were discussions about, it would have made a big difference for him. While Miles had cleaned up in terms of drugs and booze and was in top form during the In A Silent Way > Bitches Brew period, he developed multiple health issues and became a big cokehead around 1974, he disappeared for about five years in 1975, hardly playing trumpet at all for three of them.
    Last edited by Jeremy Bender; 09-19-2015 at 12:26 AM.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Jimi Hendrix revolutionized the use of the electric guitar like no else, full stop.
    Snipped for brevity. I'm curious about your position on Les Paul. Taking out his contributions to recording and just thinking of his guitars and how he played them.

To tell the truth, I ain't much of a Hendrix fan although I was too young at the time and have never delved into his music. I do believe he changed things but so did Les.

I'm not being a dick, really. I'm rather curious what all of you think. Once I started upon this rock and roll path, I missed Hendrix. I've seen Monterey Pop, Woodstock, and heard stuff here and there so I'm not completely ignorant of what he did.

When I first heard him was in the '80's, long after he was gone and others were doing work that was, IMO, farther down the road than he was at the time he died. He wasn't that exciting by that time.

I also realize I'm a jaded asshole so take all this for what it's worth but I really don't have much interest in exploring Jimi's albums for the nuances. Which is probably a sad statement but I'll stick with it.

I'd bet if I were about three years younger, maybe four, my opinion would be different. But I didn't. I came of age in the '80's and forever I will hold that shame.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

there's something about Jimi's music that I cant really put my finger on but it resonates with me on a higher level

often times people ask me, "who are you most looking forward to meeting when they are resurrected" and Jimi ranks high on that list. I'm gonna ask him if he would teach me some Guitar. I'm eagerly awaiting that day!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

. For almost 50 years i thought he was sayin, "scuse me while I kiss this guy"! Thanks for clearing that up!
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    This is of course hypothetical but if you string Eric Johnson, Alex Lifeson and Tommy Shaw in parallel the three combined would give Hendricks a run for his money as greatest guitarist(s).
    That's odd.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    A colossus of nonpareil musical invention and peerless inspiration. Those who know, know.
    Indeed

I will say this, I've seen Hendrix t-shirts and wall posters more than any other band. Don't know what that means, just an observation.
    He's still immensely popular. I have several shirts and while wearing one in a checkout line at local store, the girl running the register, who had to be 17, commented how much she liked my shirt. I asked, "Is it because of the tie-dye, or the Hendrix?" She replied, "Both." Similar thing happened with another kid at another store. He loves Hendrix and had to be 18.

Quote Originally Posted by thx5150 View Post
    The "Gods of music" had nothing to do with his death. Sadly he choose to abuse drugs and choked to death in a needless early death. I say that without malice. I too wanted to see what he could achieve. But some of the greats, like Tommy Bolin, chose to live a very risky life style which takes them way to young.
    The circumstances around Jimi's death are not quite as simplistic as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    He was stuck playing stuff like Foxy Lady and Fire that he was sick of because he thought his fans wanted that and was unsure how his new material would be received.
    Yes, he felt compelled to play the hits. But, he played plenty of music the crowds didn't know. He didn't come off as concerned how the new material would be received from what I've seen. Here are the set lists from his two Berkeley shows from May of 1970. New, unreleased songs, or ones that nobody ever heard him play are in bold.

Fire
    Johnny B Goode
    Hear My Train A Comin'
    Foxy Lady
    Machine Gun
    Freedom

Red House
    Message To Love
    Ezy Rider

Star Spangled Banner (The Woodstock album was released less than two weeks prior.)
    Purple Haze
    Voodoo Child (slight return)

SECOND SHOW
    Pass It On (a.k.a Straight Ahead)
    Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
    Lover Man

Stone Free
    Hey Joe
    I Don't Live Today
    Machine Gun
    Foxy Lady
    Star Spangled Banner
    Purple Haze
    Voodoo Child (slight return)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

His whole production was done in less than 3 years, and we are still listening and struck with awe.
    No other guitarist have had such a connection between his mind and his fingers.

Snipped for brevity. I'm curious about your position on Les Paul. Taking out his contributions to recording and just thinking of his guitars and how he played them.
    Yes, Les Paul was very influential, it's incredible to think about the stuff he was doing with the technology he had. I'm a little less impressed with his actual playing, to my ears it seems pretty typical of his era. I guess I'll back off my "full stop" statement, hahahahaha!

I came of age in the '80's and forever I will hold that shame.
    I got in to opera in 1988 and I've spent the entire time since being pitied by fellow opera fans who will say stuff like "Oh, by then there were no great singers left, they'd either retired or weren't any good at that point. If only you'd heard [insert name of singer from the 1950's] live, you'd know what ART is!!".

The circumstances around Jimi's death are not quite as simplistic as that
    The Wikipedia entry on his last day is a good summary:

Not to die but to be reborn

He was already dead when the ambulance arrived, taking him to the hospital was a mere formality. Monika Dannemann's actions seem a little sketchy, I would love to read any other links about this that people can find.
    ...or you could love

Is he still the greatest guitarist of all time? If not, who?
    I don't think so, but that really is irrelevant. Hendrix's value is not only as a virtuoso, but also as a pioneer. He took the wailing lead guitar from the blues and gave it a rock identity. There probably isn't a guitarist in the rock genre that has been more influential...

"If 6 Was 9"

Yeah, sing the song, Bro'

If the sun refuse to shine,
    I don't mind, I don't mind,
    If the mountains fell in the sea,
    let it be, it ain't me.
    Alright, 'cos I got my own world to look through,
    And I ain't gonna copy you.

Now if 6 turned out to be 9,
    I don't mind, I don't mind,
    Alright, if all the hippies cut off all their hair,
    I don't care, I don't care.
    Dig, 'cos I got my own world to live through
    And I ain't gonna copy you.

White collared conservative flashing down the street,

Pointing their plastic finger at me.
    They're hoping soon my kind will drop and die,
    But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high.
    Wave on, wave on
    Fall mountains, just don't fall on me
    Go ahead on Mr. Business man, you can't dress like me.
    Sing on Brother, play on drummer.

Jimi invented wailing guitar. He even popularized wah wah.

Late to this thread; so much has already been said. I'm sure I've mentioned this here many times, but when The Beatles came out when I was 10 years old, I dropped my dreams of wanting to become some sort of scientist when I grew up and I just wanted to play guitar in a band. I was 13 or 14 when "Are You Experienced" came out and that made me want to not just be in a band, I wanted to become a good guitar player. How good I became is for others to judge, but I became a professional musician when I got old enough to fend for myself and I still am 35+ years later. So hearing The Beatles first and Hendrix a few years later were literally life changing events for me.

Was Jimi the greatest guitar player ever? No. But I believe he was the greatest innovator of the electric guitar. To younger people who don't understand what the fuss is all about, I say you had to be there and witness what electric guitar playing was like before him and how monumentally it changed after everybody heard him. He was a visionary and relentless experimenter. He heard new sounds in his head and found ways to coax them out of the instrument. Inventers were building new effects pedals with him in mind and he embraced them and utilized them in ways nobody dreamed they'd be used.

Musically, I'd say he was a raw talent. He came from the blues and that continued to be a prevalent part of him, but he was a musical sponge, soaking up and absorbing everything he heard. He loved all kinds of music, jazz, folk, rock, classical, etc. and had he lived, I think we would've seen all of those influences become more prominent in his own music. Sure, the last album he was working on saw him moving back to his r&b roots, but I think he would've moved on into completely different areas because like Miles Davis and John Coltrane, he was always searching and changing his musical enviroment.

Personally, I think his songwriting was as strong as his playing. I consider "Axis: Bold As Love" to be his masterpiece in certain ways; he actually downplayed his guitar playing and focused on his writing for that one... and with glorious results; so many great songs on there (and lets not forget how prolific he was; he cranked out so many songs in a period of just over three years)! That album also exposed the more subtle side of his playing; the beautiful half rhythm/half lead chordal playing as witnessed on Little Wing, Bold as Love; Castles Made of Sand and One Rainy Wish. When asked, he always said he copped that style from Curtis Mayfield, but I think he took the ball and ran much further with it.

A fair share of his recorded live output (aside from Band of Gypsys and some other stuff) was hit and miss for me. He'd often alternate between moments of brilliance and things that were kind of lame. I attribute that to all the booze and drugs... and the relentlessly hectic touring schedule management thrust upon him and the Experience. Constant travel, sleep deprivation; these things can take their toll. And let's keep in mind that whammy bars were not yet designed to take the kind of abuse Jimi dished out (consequentially, he was always struggling to keep his axe in tune). Of the many, many reasons why it's a shame he didn't live longer, one of them was the developments in guitar, guitar effects and amplification technologies; nobody could've loved it all more than Jimi would've!

I got to see him and the Experience live once; it's one of my fondest memories. Despite all the things I dislike about being as old as I am now, I have that... and I wouldn't trade it for a fountain of youth even if I could.

All in all, he was a very gifted and inspired musician who was ahead of his time. Sometimes the brightest stars burn out the fastest. His importance in music's history cannot be overestimated imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Jimi invented wailing guitar. He even popularized wah wah.
    Belly Button Window is a favorite. But it's low volume, mellow Hendrix. And The Cry Of Love is the album I've listened to the most. The lead off track Freedom still gives me a kick everytime the lead guitar kicks in after the opening riff.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Belly Button Window is a favorite. But it's low volume, mellow Hendrix. And The Cry Of Love is the album I've listened to the most. The lead off track Freedom still gives me a kick everytime the lead guitar kicks in after the opening riff.
    "Freedom" is a great tune! Interestingly, several Hendrix tunes were in C# minor (putting aside the fact that sometimes his guitar was tuned down a half step, sometimes not). They gave him the low E string as the minor 3rd, a big sound. "Spanish Castle Magic" is another example. I was in a Hendrix cover band for a short while in the '90s. Studying his music was full of interesting revelations!

Steve Lukather and Los Lobotomys did a nice (and rather faithful) cover of Freedom.

I've been on a 60s binge for the last couple months. This thread fits right in. Thanks to a fellow PEer I now have the Berkeley and Albert Hall shows. Damn, I had forgotten how fucking incendiary he could be.

As others have noted, Jimi was one of those rare artists who changed things. There were plenty of guitar heroes in rock before Jimi exploded onto the scene but none had his approach or vision. He remains one of the biggest IFs in rock music. If he had not joined the 27 Club and conquered his demons (and ditched his management), the possibilities before him were endless. He's somewhere out there right now, on another plane of existence, making the music that he could only hear in his mind.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

....And acoustic Hendrix? We always think of him swinging that ax but how about the other side? What do we think is some of his better material? I find this to be most Fascinating.
    The older I get, the better I was.

....And acoustic Hendrix?
    I don't think Jimi was too interested in acoustic guitar. AFAIK, this is the only document of him playing one. Even on all of the studio material, the only acoustic guitar I've ever been aware of was in "All Along the Watchtower" and that was played by Dave Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I don't think Jimi was too interested in acoustic guitar. AFAIK, this is the only document of him playing one. Even on all of the studio material, the only acoustic guitar I've ever been aware of was in "All Along the Watchtower" and that was played by Dave Mason.

Your so right, this is the only thing I've ever seen as well. Just thought his take on an acoustic would be mind blowing.
    The older I get, the better I was.

How about Little miss Strange ?