Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kenso

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    One of them did two live cds with a super group called W.I.N.S., which are better than any of the Kenso cds.
    I think WINS was a band formed by guys from Prism and ExhiVision. Not bad but I prefer Kenso.

W.I.N.S. is closer to the "shred fusion" realm of things. Not comparable to Kenso — and definitely not "better."

They said that about Weapons of Mass Destruction, but we bombed the shit out of a country anyway.
    Nice comeback. Classy.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Sora Ni Hikaru is my favorite of their older tunes. Apparently it's theirs too; it has remained a staple in their live shows and I think they consider it to be their "hit."

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    The one before the new one was pretty good - I think it was released in 2006.
    The new one was fairly poor.
    I wouldn't call it "poor," but I agree that Utsuroi Yuku Mono is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I personally liked Uchi Naru Koe Ni Kaikiseyo, their 2014 release, a lot. I can see why some Kenso fans might not. It does have a different sound for them, far less "frantic" than much of their stuff, which, like it though I do, often wears me out. I've said before, I think they often pack too much into their compositions, and with Uchi Naru Koe Ni Kaikiseyo, the seem to back away from that a bit and let the pieces "flow" a bit more. The extensive us of the vocalist on the last track may also be a turnoff for some, though again I think it was extremely effective.

They used vocals on four tracks on Utsuroi Yuku Mono (2006) as well. One of these tracks I thought worked well, but the suite of three songs at the end of that album was hard to listen to for me. I made a CDR without those that I listen to.

GIPS is the only track from Esoptron that I really love. But I found a cheap copy a few years back and over time I've come to enjoy it a bit more than when I sampled it when it came out.
    That they pack so much material in their tunes and "frantic out" sometimes is one of the things I love about Kenso! And of course, that explains why I'm not as keen on the new one, though I do like a few tracks very much, particularly that guitar/piano duo track.

I first heard "GIPS" on "In the West" and really dug it! When I heard Esoptron, it was the only tune I really liked on it.

One of my very favorite Kenso tunes is on Sparta. Frickin' beautiful; some of those melodies really stick in my craw!

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    It's funny, because I was in the middle of listening to Bruford's "One of a Kind" for the first time today, but stopped to listen to this track having never heard Kenso before. Honestly, there wasn't a huge difference!
    They're of the same ilk: prog/fusion; the perfect marriage of two of my favorite genres. I often wished there was more improvisation in prog and more involved composition in fusion; bands like Kenso and Bruford granted that wish for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I personally liked Uchi Naru Koe Ni Kaikiseyo, their 2014 release, a lot. I can see why some Kenso fans might not. It does have a different sound for them, far less "frantic" than much of their stuff, which, like it though I do, often wears me out. I've said before, I think they often pack too much into their compositions, and with Uchi Naru Koe Ni Kaikiseyo, the seem to back away from that a bit and let the pieces "flow" a bit more. The extensive us of the vocalist on the last track may also be a turnoff for some, though again I think it was extremely effective.

They used vocals on four tracks on Utsuroi Yuku Mono (2006) as well. One of these tracks I thought worked well, but the suite of three songs at the end of that album was hard to listen to for me. I made a CDR without those that I listen to.

GIPS is the only track from Esoptron that I really love. But I found a cheap copy a few years back and over time I've come to enjoy it a bit more than when I sampled it when it came out.

Bill
    I think the problem that I had with the new one were the sounds which they had chosen. It was closer to Scandinavian symphonic prog than the edgy earlier stuff. I have compared some of their sounds to Keith Emerson and this one had almost none of it. It was too calmly flowing without standout tracks or just a few standout moments. In absolute terms it's good music but compared to other fusion/instrumental records I didn't like it much.
    I think the vocals somehow break the rhythm of the albums and are generally out of place. It's such a contrast to everything else that it doesn't work.
    I agree about Esoptron. Gips is great, the only standout track.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Sora Ni Hikaru is my favorite of their older tunes. Apparently it's theirs too; it has remained a staple in their live shows and I think they consider it to be their "hit."

I wouldn't call it "poor," but I agree that Utsuroi Yuku Mono is much better.

That they pack so much material in their tunes and "frantic out" sometimes is one of the things I love about Kenso! And of course, that explains why I'm not as keen on the new one, though I do like a few tracks very much, particularly that guitar/piano duo track.

I first heard "GIPS" on "In the West" and really dug it! When I heard Esoptron, it was the only tune I really liked on it.

One of my very favorite Kenso tunes is on Sparta. Frickin' beautiful; some of those melodies really stick in my craw!
    Well, maybe calling it "poor" was a bit of an exaggeration. As I said in another post, in the context of the whole music business it's quality music, but as a prog/instrumental/fusion record it lacks in the standout tracks department. On that previous album there were several of those.They should release more albums, but as I understand it making instrumental music in this niche is pretty difficult.

W.I.N.S. is closer to the "shred fusion" realm of things. Not comparable to Kenso — and definitely not "better."
    More talented musicians, better playing and better written songs. What's not better.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I think WINS was a band formed by guys from Prism and ExhiVision. Not bad but I prefer Kenso.
    You got the Prism right, but that was just 25% of the band.

You got the Prism right, but that was just 25% of the band.
    If I'm not mistaken Akira Wada was in the lead of all three bands, and Toshimi Nagai (Vienna, Gerard) was with W.I.N.S and
    ExhiVision (being the "N" in W.I.N.S.)

More talented musicians, better playing and better written songs. What's not better.
    You sure? The drums and keyboards in Kenso are awesome. So's the bass-playing. "Better written"? Can't say I agree with you. "More notes"? Yeah, probably that.

You sure? The drums and keyboards in Kenso are awesome. So's the bass-playing. "Better written"? Can't say I agree with you. "More notes"? Yeah, probably that.
    I know he's the thread naysayer for some reason. But personal preference =/= better.

Quote Originally Posted by insidious meme View Post
    I know he's the thread naysayer for some reason. But personal preference =/= better.

They're of the same ilk: prog/fusion; the perfect marriage of two of my favorite genres. I often wished there was more improvisation in prog and more involved composition in fusion; bands like Kenso and Bruford granted that wish for me.
    Agreed; and I would add David Sancious to that list!

Oh man, Bifuka is one gorgeous song. Glad to see some love for that one.

Sparta actually had some really strong material on it, IMO, but was somewhat let down by the production (which was mostly rectified by the Sparta Naked remix).

Their newest one was not on the same level as their earlier ones for me, but I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from it.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    hilarious!

welcome to the wide world of Prog music bro (we share an affinity for 80s HXC as well)

Kenso II is my fav but they're all good really
    That's right: Prog and Punk, my two mistresses!!!
    The Prog Corner

Long-time fan here (1991-->). Love everything I've heard, and have (most), including the most recent. To me, with this band, assessing the relative merits/demerits of respective albums is like splitting ass hairs-- it's all excellent. They are extraordinary in their deep incorporation of Asian influences into their Yes/Mahavishnu/Led Zeppelin Symphonic whatever that makes them stand out from the pack; certainly more deserving than comparisons to technically adept but soulless wanking fusion. Really a genuine world-wide spirituality they bring into their 'Rock' music, that animates it levels beyond their peers...

Or so I hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Long-time fan here (1991-->). Love everything I've heard, and have (most), including the most recent. To me, with this band, assessing the relative merits/demerits of respective albums is like splitting ass hairs-- it's all excellent. They are extraordinary in their deep incorporation of Asian influences into their Yes/Mahavishnu/Led Zeppelin Symphonic whatever that makes them stand out from the pack; certainly more deserving than comparisons to technically adept but soulless wanking fusion. Really a genuine world-wide spirituality they bring into their 'Rock' music, that animates it levels beyond their peers...

Or so I hear it.
    This.

There is so much more to Kenso's music than just technical chops (which the players have in spades, for sure).

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

There is so much more to Kenso's music than just technical chops (which the players have in spades, for sure).

BTW, was what I said too harsh? ;-) Sorry good Kenso fans. But I think if one wants to quibble about their offerings it should be more about the recording/production (variability there for sure), rather than their compositions. I find the latter consistently excellent, while yet acknowledging some variety in style over the years, and of course specific players, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post

BTW, was what I said too harsh? ;-) Sorry good Kenso fans. But I think if one wants to quibble about their offerings it should be more about the recording/production (variability there for sure), rather than their compositions. I find the latter consistently excellent, while yet acknowledging some variety in style over the years, and of course specific players, etc.
    No, not too harsh IMO. Especially considering the need some individuals feel to come into the thread with (seemingly) the only intention being to spoil it by pointing out how another band's music is better than anything made by the one we were all quite happily discussing.

True, Kenso's production over the years has been variable. I still haven't been able to really "get" Esoptron largely because of the way it sounds. Still has some cool stuff on it though.

No, not too harsh IMO. Especially considering the need some individuals feel to come into the thread with (seemingly) the only intention being to spoil it by pointing out how another band's music is better than anything made by the one we were all quite happily discussing.
    What you call spoiling, most people here refer to as educating.

What you call spoiling, most people here refer to as educating.
    Hey man, whatever. Maybe I read your post incorrectly. It seemed like you were just coming in to promote one band and denigrate the one we were talking about, from my perspective at least.

My apologies if I took your comment the wrong way.

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree when it comes to Kenso and W.I.N.S. and whether one band's compositions are "better" than the other's. It's all a matter of personal preference anyway.

Hey man, whatever. Maybe I read your post incorrectly. It seemed like you were just coming in to promote one band and denigrate the one we were talking about, from my perspective at least.

My apologies if I took your comment the wrong way.

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree when it comes to Kenso and W.I.N.S. and whether one band's compositions are "better" than the other's. It's all a matter of personal preference anyway.
    There's "educating" and then there's straight up "hating". I don't care if he hates on Kenso or not. I'm just stating a difference.

Been revisiting Kenso II and III lately, and I had forgotten how great they were. Was wondering how the OP was getting along with the Kenso box after a few weeks time.

Sheesh, I love this band so much it hurts.

Almost.

A late night revisiting some Kenso records, and I decided to look online for some live videos. Found one that I thought was pretty interesting:

The sound quality is not great, but if you're already somewhat familiar with the song, this is kind of a neat vantage point to watch from. You can really see what the drummer and keyboardist (one of two) are doing throughout. The rhythmic and harmonic changes in this song are just crazy. So many chords... These guys are beasts.