Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Zappa - Sleep Dirt

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Trout Mask Replica got me into Captain Beefheart.
    Me too

But my ears were already trained with other very difficult stuff. However, I think it would be very hard for other people that are new to prog to instantly fall in love with the Captain having their fist exposure through Replica. IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    Me too

But my ears were already trained with other very difficult stuff. However, I think it would be very hard for other people that are new to prog to instantly fall in love with the Captain having their fist exposure through Replica. IMO of course.
    I heard and loved Trout Mask before I heard a note of Genesis, Yes, ELP, Crimson ...

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I heard and loved Trout Mask before I heard a note of Genesis, Yes, ELP, Crimson ...
    Hmm... that's not "difficult stuff". I was actually referring to Zappa, Magma, Henry Cow and bands alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankk View Post
    Hmm... that's not "difficult stuff". I was actually referring to Zappa, Magma, Henry Cow and bands alike.
    Well, the implication being that I heard Beefheart (and Zappa) before I heard most prog- including Magma, Henry Cow, and any of the other avant / RIO bands.

Chuckling at "fist exposure". It's not THAT difficult.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Uncle Meat. You should buy and love and never give up Uncle Meat.
    I adore that album so freakin’ much. Not my first full-length taste of Frank, but close. I got a cheap vinyl copy with well-worn grooves, but even that was enough for me to be enthralled. Never heard anything quite like it before or since. It’s absolutely a masterpiece that I cannot live without!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Haha, thanks! Uncle Meat and Burnt Weeny Sandwich are also on my radar, but I haven't heard anything from either one yet (I was always put-off by the album artwork on those).
    I didn’t get BWS until much later and it was like...“where have you BEEN all my life?” “The Little House I Used to Live In” is one of my favourite things ever.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Sounds like there is quite a bit of stuff I need to get. I appreciate all the suggestions too. Thanks everyone! [emoji4]

Been listening a lot to One Size Fits All, and the song Andy sounds like it could have been the blueprint on which Beardfish based a lot of their songs. All those years I never knew just how much they had been influenced by FZ's sound, but they really nail it.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I just cleaned my original 1979 Bizarre Promo and spun side one...holy shit this album sounds good and of course is phenomenal musically speaking. There are moments on "Flambay" and "Spider of Destiny" that are different than the versions on the original CD and Lather (besides the vocals I mean). FZ's guitar solo on "Filthy Habits" is so expansive sounding with the feedback, etc...just killer. I wonder how many FZ 'haters' there are out there that like his instrumental work but have never heard this album?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    There are moments on "Flambay" and "Spider of Destiny" that are different than the versions on the original CD and Lather (besides the vocals I mean).
    On Lather FZ cut "Flambay" to less than half its original length and made a few edits to "Spider." The original CD has overdubbed vocals and drums and edits out the transition between the two songs. The 2012 UMe CD should be the same as the promo LP.

I wonder how many FZ 'haters' there are out there that like his instrumental work but have never heard this album?
    The ones that go for Hot Rats and don't look any further. I'd say of all of the 2012 CD editions I picked up, Sleep Dirt is the best sounding disc.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    The ones that go for Hot Rats and don't look any further. I'd say of all of the 2012 CD editions I picked up, Sleep Dirt is the best sounding disc.
    I'll have to get that.

My CD has the vocals, but I still have my old cutout vinyl!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I wonder how many FZ 'haters' there are out there that like his instrumental work but have never heard this album?

Indeed, Hot Rats 3 went a bit unnoticed at release time, stuck between two high-profile teen smut releases.
    Iguess one day, I'll have to get a hold of the version with vocals to check out what it's like.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Indeed, Hot Rats 3 went a bit unnoticed at release time, stuck between two high-profile teen smut releases.
    Actually the album that preceded it was Studio Tan, hardly a teen smut release. (Even Zappa in New York, which came before that, contains too many quality instrumentals to be dismissed as a teen smut release.) But you're right about the Warner Bros. contractual obligation albums not sharing the high profile of the teen smut ones. Warners just dumped them on the market with no promotion to speak of. They practically shipped cut-out. One wonders why they bothered. Tax write-off?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Teen Smut Release would make a good rock band name.