Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Terje Rypdal

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    it does tend to be a bit sprawling

Whenever I Seem To Be Far Away is much more concise and focused... composed even

oh... and... IT HAS GOBS OF MELLOTRON!!!
    They are very different discs. Whenever sports the contributions from Pete Knutsen (of Popol Ace) on electric piano and 'tron (as you mentioned), and was partly somewhat influenced by Rypdal's association with the progressive rock music of the day (as represented by Popol Ace and Ruphus here in Norway, the latter who'd go on to have their third album Let Your Light Shine produced by Rypdal, and whose leader Håkon Graf was also playing with fusion band Vanessa at the time). Odyssey, on the other hand, explores near-aleatoric approaches to group arrangements and seeks to release the notion of coherence and unity from that of duration. While I'd agree that there are uneven bits on that album, I think it works as a whole precisely *because* they stick to this formula with such a consistent direction.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Odyssey, on the other hand, explores near-aleatoric approaches to group arrangements and seeks to release the notion of coherence and unity from that of duration. While I'd agree that there are uneven bits on that album, I think it works as a whole precisely *because* they stick to this formula with such a consistent direction.
    I found a number of places on Odyssey sound a lot like what Miles was doing on stuff like Agharta and Pangaea. Not that TR was trying to copy that approach, moreso that it was very much of the zeitgeist of 74-75
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Odyssey is now on CD with all the tracks + a live CD ! (first CDissue had ommited a whole LP side)
    Part of the label's Old & New Masters Edition series of box sets....coincidentally featuring liners from yours truly...but you don't buy the box for the liners; you buy it for the music, which is staggeringly groundbreaking.

Quite a few of his albums can be found at Amazon UK for not totally unreasonable prices.
    Last edited by jkelman; 09-20-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Odyssey and Whenever are my favorites (masterpieces IMO), but Waves and Descendre comes close.
    TR and What Comes After are good too but not as mature. Get yourself some live stuff from this period (boots) !

I agree with Scrotum that Chaser and Blue is not worth running for, but EOS, Terje Rypdal / Miroslav Vitous / Jack DeJohnette, To be Continued, If Mountains Could Sing, Vossabryg, has their moments.
    And he is so awesome on Michael Mantler: The Hapless Child, and Barre Phillips: Three Day Moon is also worth picking up.
    Some reviews:
    Paolo Vinaccia's Very Much Alive
    Rypdal:
    If Mountains Could Sing
    Life in Liepzig (w/ Ketil Bjørnstad)
    Vossabygg
    Melodic Warrior

So this thread got me to wield the wallet crowbar and order a couple of discs.
    I listened to Odyssey and Rypdal/Vitous/DeJohnette yesterday.
    Nice Saturday afternoon stuff.
    I had previously just heard Chase and Per Ulv on samplers. Nice.
    Tried to get Waves, but was sold out from wayside. May try amazon or other.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Not cheap but $25 Canadian for Waves, shipping included.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    You can do better than that at Amazon.co.uk, and for laughs read the 1 review of it there.

All I have is Odyssey. It’s really nice almost “ambient” listening. When I need to mellow out, it’s one of my favourite things to put on. I think my favourite bit is the part with the low, growling trombone parts (is that “Rolling Stone” or the other really long track?) Plus the keyboard player has one of the coolest names ever: Brynjulf Blix!

Oh, and there’s also this (the man singing is Jahn Teigen from Popol Ace, the lady is Terje’s wife, Inger Lise Rypdal):

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Big fan here, I have a dozen or so TR albums, ordered many of them straight from ECM years ago. Since nobody else has mentioned it, I'll recommend the album he did with cellist David Darling (ex-Paul Winter Consort and great ECM artist in his own right), called "Eos"...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    All I have is Odyssey the lady is Terje’s wife, Inger Lise Rypdal
    Sorry about the digression, but I once kissed her behind the ear. No joke. She's 65 and happily married (again) now, but this was in 2004 when she was still prowling for younger guys. Strange incident, I concur. Very, very strange experience indeed.

Huge star here in Norway, with great charisma and a truly warm personality. Incredible to think that she had her big breakthrough more than two years before I was born; note the Grace Slick antic!

"[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

that song was played on the radio constantly in 1968... UGH! Harper Valley PTA... like it was yesterday
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

^

He, he. I believe that song had some two-digit European renditions of various national origin. Rypdal's lyric concerns burgeoise hipocricy as exposed in local ministers and clergy and housewives' club's reaction to a free minded young woman's excesses in drink and bodily pleasures. A classic lyric in Norwegian pop music if there ever was one.

heh... that pretty much sums up the lyric content of Harper Valley PTA

I just spent a couple of minutes trying to figure out why I had nothing coming out of the left channel.

Here she is with Jan Teigen and Terje on guitar.
    European song contest 1976

^

Yes, that performance is quite famous - if not to say infamous (there's an even more renowned version of this featuring Ruphus-vocalist Gudny Aspaas [who's a regular at the drunkard cafè some 40 yards from where I now live, btw ] instead of Inger Lise and with Terje Rypdal playing bass with his meanest Jannik Top-impression) - with ESC buffs here in Norway, both because of the rather unorthodox nature of the tune itself and due to Teigen's appearance; this was his first among almost a dozen different attempts on his part to reach the upper heights of that bloody competition. I believe he went on to win the Norwegian semi finals some five or six times, I'm not sure. Anyway, Inger Lise Rypdal (and she has kept the name, despite their divorce being 30 years in passing) had already appeared with Popol Ace on their Stolen from Time album the previous year (and again, excuse the off-topics involved);

Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 09-22-2015 at 04:41 PM.

This came across on the Facebook page devoted to Rypdal:

https://vimeo.com/25756808

YTD is capable of downloading in, for those so inclined.

There is a recent show on Dime right now.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Someone else mentioned the “other” version of “Voodoo” with Gudny Aspaas (from Ruphus), well, here it is:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

One man's wine the other man's poison ...

I was just planing to write how much I love his first 2 albums on ECM...
    I really dig them

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I'm going to guess I'm in the minority of TR fans who doesn't really care for the 2nd s/t album and What Comes After.

I listened to them in the last coupla weeks many times and I find those 2 albums to be way too unfocused, loose and noodly. They almost sound like he went into the studio with nothing planned, nothing written and just rolled the tape for 45 minutes.

Really, compared to his first album (BH) which was well thought out, and his 4th album (WISTBFA) which is also well fleshed out compositionally, his 2nd and 3rd albums seem so aimless. Even Odyssey, which is mostly just long jams ala Agharta, Pangaea, Dark Magus, is more focused than TR and WCA.

I think I got about 10-15 mins of interesting parts from each for my 80 min CDR

Yes, I've been in a ECM mood lately and have had TR's Odyssey for some time on CD, but it's missing the side Rolling Stone, so may have to re-buy the album. It's growing on me, as I didn't care for it that much when I first bought it. I have some of this others on vinyl, I may have to make a tape. Last night I listened to Barre Phillip's Aquarian Rain, and it was pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    One man's wine the other man's poison ...

I was just planing to write how much I love his first 2 albums on ECM...
    I really dig them
    that's how music works... it's a very personal experience

Don't know, but after listening to the Min Bul album in the early 90s, I could not easily reconnect with any other of the Rypdal's albums. Sold them all and kept only Odyssey, Whenever I Seem To Be Far Away and Bleak House (the later due to his affinity with the Get Dreamy album which I always liked).
    Last edited by spacefreak; 10-13-2015 at 03:12 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    after listening to the Min Bul album in the early 90s, I could not easily reconnect with any other of the Rypdal's albums. Sold them all and kept only Odyssey, Whenever I Seem To Be Far Away and Bleak House (the later due to his affinity with the Get Dreamy album which I always liked).
    Wow, I did precisely the same thing - and to this day I still think the Min Bul record is one of the most exciting things Rypdal has done as guitarist. I believe one of the reasons why that release remained in the shadow for so long was that people misunderstood its very concept; Min Bul was actually not Rypdal inviting others to back him, but rather the other way around - it was 2/3 of mythical Oslo underground avant-jazz mavericks Finnerud Trio inviting Rypdal to join them. Finnerud Trio made what I myself (and plenty more relevant people, including folks like Maja Ratkje, Helge Sten and E.A. Wang) consider the greatest Norwegian album of all time, Plastic Sun.

Finnerud Trio made what I myself (and plenty more relevant people, including folks like Maja Ratkje, Helge Sten and E.A. Wang) consider the greatest Norwegian album of all time, Plastic Sun.
    Now you're talking about one of the most important avant garde (yeah, it's not simply free jazz to my ears) recordings from Scandinavia. It is somehow Paul Bley inspired but spirals that influence to stratospheric levels and ends up in an urgency that makes the whole recording to be digested with the directness of a pop record (and I don't mean it as a sacrilege). Its central pieces, the extended renditions of Annette Peacock's "Cartoon" (known by the Paul Bley Trio) on side A and Ornette Coleman's "Dee Dee" on side B, are unparalleled! I can perfectly undersand why this album is a reference.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS