Thread: Revisiting past catalog and striking gold

Revisiting past catalog and striking gold

I got into Manchester band Amplifier when their 3rd CD The Octopus came out. I liked it so much that I picked up their back catalog which, at the time, consisted of their self-titled first release, 2nd CD The Insider plus two EPs.
    When I listened to these I had mixed responses. I loved one of the EPs (Eternity - early stuff predating their 1st CD), liked some of the self-titled, didn't connect with the other EP and disliked The Insider.
    I've really enjoyed Amplifier's post-Octopus releases - Echo Street and Mystoria - and recently picked up a limited edition CD release, Residue, which packages up 2 EPs of Insider-era material.
    It then occurred to me that, because I got so much enjoyment from Mystoria (an unashamedly rocky release that, to some extent, revisits their early days), I should give the first CD another listen. Multiple spins later: I love it.
    Then, because I liked the Residue songs, I thought I should even give The Insider another go. I wasn't optimistic about this at all remembering that I actively disliked it. Multiple spins later: I f**king love it! It's actually a contender for my favourite Amplifier CD - who would've thunk it?

Has anyone else had similar experiences with music that was gathering dust in their collection?
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Suspended
    What a lovely avatar, Geoff!

Sorry... got distracted there...

Out of all the albums in my collection, there are very few that I ever stopped appreciating, so the situation would not really apply. My collection is probably a lot smaller than that of most PE members.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    What a lovely avatar, Geoff!

Sorry... got distracted there...

Out of all the albums in my collection, there are very few that I ever stopped appreciating, so the situation would not really apply. My collection is probably a lot smaller than that of most PE members.

I am just over a thousand...

I have this all the time.

I got into Hawkwind right after I had listened to Eloy and did not really give Eloy the dedicated listening they deserved until later, at which point I discovered I really really loved Ocean and Silent cries and Mighty Echoes.
    Similarly, Opeth and Amorphis took a back seat to Emperor until I gave them a more dedicated listening session. The Deliverance and Damnation albums emerged as my favorites.

Most recently, Arcturus has moved up rapidly in my favorites. Part of that is because of the fact I had the chronology of their releases out of order and partly because of the band's charm when playing live (I saw then at Maryland Death Fest). I had always thought Sham Mirrors was released before La Masquerade Infernale, so when I saw they changed guitarists, I thought it was after the Sham Mirrors and was not paying attention. It was after I saw them at Maryland Death Fest that I realized who Knut Magne Valle was and learned that the guitar work on Sham Mirror that I loved so much was his doing because it was released after La Masquerade Infernale.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"