Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Which new artists are today's flagships?

When's the Fourth Wave coming? This so-called Third Wave is already over 20 years in.

I'm ready!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    When's the Fourth Wave coming? This so-called Third Wave is already over 20 years in.

I'm ready!!!
    The Seventh Wave was in 1975

There are too many bands now.

The ratio of fans/bands seems to be 1/100 if not 1/1000. The artists ARE the audience.

There are many good bands and albums these days, but no meaningful consensus on any of them.

There was a thread here not long ago, about a new band from, I think it was Boston. Female singer/keyboardist and I think the bassist was a lady as well. Several videos of them got posted. They are really good. I for one have completely forgotten their name. And they don't deserve to be buried and forgotten before their name is off the tongue, but that seems to be where we are these days.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I think the Big 5 (or 6 if you prefer) are somewhat classified that way because they were not just among the most innovated but most popular of prog bands in that first go-round of prog. The problem with defining a new big 5 is that there really are no extremely popular prog bands today. Bands like Radiohead or Mars Volta are not uniformly considered prog so I wouldn't create a big 5 list with them. If you want to talk about "popular just within prog circles", then you have an even bigger problem because there are a lot of prog bands that have large followings within prog such that I doubt you'd find very many people who would agree to the same 5. So I don't think we can create such a list anymore. Its hard enough for people to agree on a 70s Big 5 but today it would probably be impossible.

That said, Mike Keneally and Phideaux MUST BE on the modern Big 5 list. (I say that just because I know they read the forum)

The first band I thought of was Muse. You can debate whether or not they are prog, but they are at least prog influenced and play huge stadiums.

Although Anathema doesn’t draw much here in the U.S. they play pretty big venues in Europe don’t they?

Can’t think of many others that are above club level for drawing power that started after 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Umphrey's McGee would be an obvious one for me, though they too miss on the timing one (Local Band Does O.K., which I consider their first official release, came out in 2002, I think).
    I thought of them too, but yea they were together back before the time restriction.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    There was a thread here not long ago, about a new band from, I think it was Boston. Female singer/keyboardist and I think the bassist was a lady as well. Several videos of them got posted. They are really good. I for one have completely forgotten their name. And they don't deserve to be buried and forgotten before their name is off the tongue, but that seems to be where we are these days.
    Bent Knee, outstanding band, they are going to be interviewed on zombywoofs radio show this Saturday.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What about King Crimson?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    What about King Crimson?
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    1. The artist's/group's first or breakthrough album has to have been released not earlier than 2003.
    Er.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    The Seventh Wave was in 1975
    Not according to Sting. He said that Love Is the Seventh Wave, and Love were around in the 1960's.

If I chose a "Big 5" in terms of influence and visibility, and are still active. And not so much that they formed or released music before 2003, but their most well known or breakthrough records in a lot of ways, came in 2003 or after.

-Between the Buried and Me: breakthrough was 2007's "Colors"
    -Coheed and Cambria: breakthrough was 2005's "Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV"
    -The Decemberists: breakthrough was 2006's "The Crane Wife"
    -Muse: breakthrough was 2003's "Absolution
    -Mastodon: breakthrough was 2009's "Crack the Skye"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The first band I thought of was Muse. You can debate whether or not they are prog, but they are at least prog influenced and play huge stadiums.

Although Anathema doesn’t draw much here in the U.S. they play pretty big venues in Europe don’t they?

Can’t think of many others that are above club level for drawing power that started after 2002.
    I discounted both Anathema and Opeth on the grounds that they have been going since well before 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    If I chose a "Big 5" in terms of influence and visibility, and are still active. And not so much that they formed or released music before 2003, but their most well known or breakthrough records in a lot of ways, came in 2003 or after.

-Between the Buried and Me: breakthrough was 2007's "Colors"
    -Coheed and Cambria: breakthrough was 2005's "Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV"
    -The Decemberists: breakthrough was 2006's "The Crane Wife"
    -Muse: breakthrough was 2003's "Absolution
    -Mastodon: breakthrough was 2009's "Crack the Skye"
    That's actually as good a list as any, great pick on The Decemberists even if only three of their albums are proggish.
    Ian

Suspended
    My first exposure to Muse was that song (can't recall the title) that sounds like Blondie's "Call Me" with bits of Gary Glitter mixed in. My reaction was "WTF? This is a PROG band?"

I later learned that their earlier albums were regarded by many as progressive,

Seeing as I can't think of any other than Muse I'm going to throw out a personal Big 6, none of whom meet the sales number but meet the 2003 date.

elephant9
    Upsilon Acrux
    Jack O The Clock
    Yugen
    Nik Bartsch Ronin
    Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores
    Ian

Muse's first album came out in 1999, they don't qualify.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Thinking Plague don't have much commercial potential since they are very much RIO and don't have a sound that many non prog (or experimental rock) fans would like.
    Where did you learn this? First, TP are absolutely not "very much RIO" - quite the contrary; to the extent that they are RIO at all, they're completely untypical. Secondly, In Extremis, from what I understand, remains one of the most popular releases Steve F. has ever issued. You might not want to know this, but TP have actually done better than surprisingly many artists whom you - from your viewpoint - would perhaps deem "more established".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Snarky Puppy.
    that's the only one I can think of post 2003

go back to the 90s and I think we can find more
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

ok, found more... add these to my personal 'big 6 of the new millenium'

KBB
    Ske
    Pochakaite Malko
    Accordo Dei Contrari
    Future Kings of England
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm not sure there really is any artist that strictly meets the criteria in the OP (and I don't think there is "Big 5/6/7 etc" from the last 10 years), but I think the following bands may be close:
    Haken
    Riverside
    Leprous
    Beardfish
    Karnivool
    The Dear Hunter

Since one of the main characteristics of modern prog music is heaviness, other pretendents may possibly be found in tech/extreme/post-hardcore/metalcore/etc. genres, but I know little of who is who there.
    Last edited by mogilevs; 09-16-2015 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Bent Knee, outstanding band, they are going to be interviewed on zombywoofs radio show this Saturday.
    I'll have their second album in the mail in a few days. Can't wait to hear more of it. Really fresh, clear-cut, crystalline chops albeit with adequate edge.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    There are too many bands now.

The ratio of fans/bands seems to be 1/100 if not 1/1000. The artists ARE the audience.

There are many good bands and albums these days, but no meaningful consensus on any of them.

Bent Knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Second, The Mars Volta sold more albums and played to more and bigger crowds than almost any of those post-70s artists you mention combined, and they exhorted information on a noteworthy, if not abundant, generation of younger groups who'd never announce their eventual penchant for anything pre-punk. So, definitely influential (if not in style, then at least as encouragement even on bands existing before they did, like Kayo Dot, Secret Chiefs 3, Tera Melos etc.) - but NOT in regard to the "traditionally prog", as you say.

Which brings us to the third and most essential point; when there's no overarching mark of definition or limitation to begin with, then what's "traditional"?
    The short answer is "open to interpretation". I mainly put that in the criteria so people would not feel they had to stick to "cookie cutter symph". In fact, I think if there's a list to be had, it would consist of artists like Umphrey's and Mars Volta, which steer away from what people typically think of when the last list was groups like PTree and Spock's Beard.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    No earlier than 2003 for debut album really narrows everything down.
    On the surface, yes. However we are talking about 12 years here. That should be quite a bit of time to draw from one would think. That said, I'm not surprised at all people are having difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Tough challenge: I got nothing...Mars Volta is a good pick for the reasons mentioned, but time will tell if their mark will be long-felt and measurably influential.

...a real stretch....Animals as Leaders....they pull in good crowds when they play here in ATL and their music-craft sure is interesting (at least to me)

Your thoughts?
    Animals as Leaders are certainly something to consider, but I honestly don't know them well enough to grasp their popularity and impact.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Tough to think of any bands who are that big that have only been around in the last decade. Muse? Bit of a stretch but I'm struggling here.
    I think if the criteria was relaxed a little more, you could put Muse on this list since Absolution was really their breakout album back in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    1- Gazpacho
    2- Pineapple Thief (but I think they recorded previous to 2000)
    3- Unitopia (now extinct)
    4- Big Big Train (though I cannot conect with their music, specially the singing)
    5- Glass Hammer (for some, although this one I could never connect either)
    I can't imagine Gazpacho sells many units or having an impact/influence on the scene. Unitopia - can't figure that one out. Big Big Train and Glass Hammer were putting out records way before 2003.

So that leave The Pineapple Thief. As they are likely one of the more successful bands now they are on K-Scope, one could at least put their hat in the ring. But I question their success and their impact. If they had an audience outside of proggers (do they? I honestly don't know), that would help. If you have ever seen a TPT thread on PE, they typically sink after 5-10 responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Umphrey's McGee would be an obvious one for me, though they too miss on the timing one (Local Band Does O.K., which I consider their first official release, came out in 2002, I think).
    Umphrey's was obvious to me as well. 2002 for their first release shouldn't be held against them.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.