Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zabriskie Point (1997 Expanded 2CD version w/ Pink Floyd & Jerry Garcia rarities)

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    If by "main prize" you mean the Jury Prize, L'avventura won that as well - some years before. If you haven't seen it you should check it out - all the enigma of Blow Up with a better script, better acting and better photography. That said, I don't know how much festival awards have to do with artistic merit.

Was that before or after he scripted Beyond the Valley of the Dolls? Sorry - not worth much at all IMO.

Trivia Pt. 2. Antonioni and Ingmar Bergman died within hours of each other. Very different artists, but both masters.
    Well, I would say artistic merit is the main ingredient when awarding prizes in most film festivals, and specially at Cannes. By the way, I've seen most of Antonioni's films and have many on DVD. I also like very much Argentinian writer Julio Cortazar, on whose short story Blowup was inspired (and who has a funny 'cameo' on the movie in the photo of one of the vagrants photographed by the protagonist), and also admire British photographer David Bailey, the model for 'Thomas' in that film. Lastly, I'm also a big fan of The Yardbirds, who also appear in the movie miming their updated version of Train Kept A Rollin in their short lived Jimmy Page-Jeff Beck lineup.
    Still, I would put Blowup ahead of the class among Antonioni's films, although L'Avventura', L'Eclisse, Il Grido, Le Amiche and The Passenger are very close. Although I enjoy Zabriskie Point anyway, specially because of Daria Halprin's luminous beauty, I recognize its by far his worst film.

There is a floyd file sharing site yeeshkul that miles of comment and argument about the ins and outs of the Zabriskie sessions. There are two outstanding bootlegs that I would seriously recommend: 370 Roman Yards and A Complete Zabriskie Point of View
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg