Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midge Ure & Ultravox

Midge Ure & Ultravox

Any Midge Ure fans? I just bought a ticket to see Midge Ure at WXPN World Cafe Live in Philadelphia next Thursday Night (Jan. 10). The show got me thinking about what Midge Ure related CDs that I might want to add to my collection. I already own the deluxe two disc versions of Ultravox- "Vienna" and Ultravox- "Lament" as well as "If I was- The best of Midge Ure & Ultravox." Does anyone have advice what is essential to add to my collection? Anything that I should stay away from? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Library Jon

Vienna has just been voted the best single never to reach number 1 by the British public...Joe Dolce Shudda ya face kept it off the top spot!

Banned
    what's the deal on parking at The World Cafe?

World Cafe Parking

There is a pay parking lot directly below the WCL venue. You have to go around that block to get into it. There was a time when you could park on UPenn parking lots for free because the World Cafe was part of the college, but I think that they stopped doing that.

Library Jon

I prefer "Rage in Eden" over "Vienna", but not by much. RiE might have my favorite U-Vox song ever, The Thin Wall.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    There is a pay parking lot directly below the WCL venue. You have to go around that block to get into it. There was a time when you could park on UPenn parking lots for free because the World Cafe was part of the college, but I think that they stopped doing that.

Library Jon
    word up. I gotta get to this venue finally. This is the gig to put me there I think.

Tickets

It is really not too late to attend this show. Plenty of seats available when I bought my ticket a few days ago. I thought paying $32 total a ticket was fair. You should go!!

Library Jon

Banned
    It is really not too late to attend this show. Plenty of seats available when I bought my ticket a few days ago. I thought paying $32 total a ticket was fair. You should go!!

Library Jon
    good deal. I'm always a "day-of-show" ticket buyer anyway.

I like some of the songs by Visage.

Playing live here in Chicago this month...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Visage?

I confess that I am far from an expert on Midge Ure. What were the Visage days like? What would be the essential CD from them to buy?

Library Jon

Jon Neudorf
    The self titled debut released in 1980. Have not heard it in ages but loved it back in the day. Have the vinyl but but need to replace it with a CD.

Regards,
    Jon

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    I confess that I am far from an expert on Midge Ure. What were the Visage days like? What would be the essential CD from them to buy?

Library Jon
    I would recommend the Fade To Grey compilation CD - http://tinyurl.com/axgd5g7.

More than likely will be going to the Philly show myself.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    I prefer "Rage in Eden" over "Vienna", but not by much. RiE might have my favorite U-Vox song ever, The Thin Wall.

best
    Michael
    US Radio never ceases to amaze me. Going on my memory banks, Ultravox's "Sleepwalk", "Vienna" and "Hymn" received a lot of airplay here in NYC on commercial radio without ever charting. I also remember "The Thin Wall" getting airplay for a couple of weeks as well. But the only song that ever charted was "Reap The Wild Wind".

An outrageously underrated band.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Playing live here in Chicago this month...
    Where Charles?

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    The self titled debut released in 1980. Have not heard it in ages but loved it back in the day. Have the vinyl but but need to replace it with a CD.

Regards,
    Jon
    Remember that Midge Ure wasn't the vocalist in Visage, he was the guitarist.

I kinda remember the "Rich kids", with Midge and Glenn Matlock, but it's been a long time.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Block 454 part 2 View Post
    Remember that Midge Ure wasn't the vocalist in Visage, he was the guitarist.
    Yep, and it's still an essential album.

Regards,
    Jon

i finally got to see ULTRAVOX during their “return to eden” reunion tour in 2010 and it was an emotional evening for more than one reason ... grabbing hold of the 2CD/DVD set of “return to eden” is highly recommended! missed last year’s tour for the new album “brilliant”, which i also haven’t acquired yet, but the title track of it is beautiful – vintage and unmistakeably U-VOX with a modern slant.

timeless band. much to their own amazement, i suppose. the earlier, john foxx-fronted stuff is cool too, in a stark post-punkish way!

Library Jon
    I like the debut by Visage at least as much as 'Vienna,' my fave Ultravox album.

The new album by Ultravox exceeded my expectations by a considerable margin. It's up to the standard of their 1980-84 releases. I'd go see Midge Ure's tour if it played in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    The new album by Ultravox exceeded my expectations by a considerable margin. It's up to the standard of their 1980-84 releases. I'd go see Midge Ure's tour if it played in my area.
    Same here! The new album is quite good! Not quite a Rage in Eden but stands up well with most of the 80s material.
    Normal people are just people you don't know very well.

I saw Midge in a small tavern last decade. Have it on minidisc somewhere. Anyway, hearing those songs played on Acoustic Guitar was a bit unusual. It was enjoyable, but nothing like seeing Ultravox would have been.

I've got to say, I much preferred John Foxx-era Ultravox to the Midge Ure version.

I had the first Visage album on vinyl and liked it a lot at the time, but I haven't heard it for years.

"Vienna" got played to death in the UK and I wouldn't want to hear it again... There was that awful video - Ure had a raincoat. And a moustache. Both are crimes against humanity.

Who remembers Slik ?

The three albums with Foxx are some of my all time favorites. I'm sorry I never saw them.