Thread: Here's that new Brand X material (A rose by any other name...)

Here's that new Brand X material (A rose by any other name...)

So a year ago there was talk of Brand X reuniting; Percy Jones and John Goodsall together again with Patrick Moraz. Then Moraz was out and David Sancious in. Then some legal mumbo-jumbo and the deal was kaput. Anyway, here's new tunage. Mark Murdocks' (vocals(?)) "Cymbalic Encounters" with Goodsall, Jones, Sancious, Kenwood Dennard (!drums!) ENJOY.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8CP328tTlE
    Last edited by HealthyNational; 01-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

Listening to it now. The music sounds good. Any info as to why the Brand X guys went this route? Is it due to the legal issue? All I am aware of is the manager from last year did something he shouldn't have. I'm certainly happy to have new material of some sort, even if there are vocals.

Ooh, I might get this, it sounds good.

Me too,where can it be bought? Btw, I really like this Percy fan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fX9ep4ZjcH8

The section that starts at 3:45 sounds like vintage Brand X, very good indeed.

Hard to get much impression of the singer, pro or con, from these clips. Not keep on the autotune (if that's what it is) on the second sample.

Great stuff Rand. I have seen Cymbalic Encounters on amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cymbalic-Encounters/dp/B00AFU0848

Yeah! Right now it's only a DL from CD Baby orig. but Amazon is carrying the mp3. I would like to wait and see if a cd proper will get released. I love what Sancious is doing in the samples I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    The section that starts at 3:45 sounds like vintage Brand X, very good indeed.
    'cept the drums sound awful there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Hard to get much impression of the singer, pro or con, from these clips. Not keep on the autotune (if that's what it is) on the second sample.
    Sounds like a vocoder to me.

I had the opportunity to jam with Percy a couple of years back. Wonderful person along with his wife. We went out for a couple of pints afterwards, and I'm a real lightweight haha. Lots of awesome anecdotes from the '70s; Fripp stories, Eno, Bowie, etc. He has a project called MJ-12 (I think), and they play out in NYC a bit. He has been much more into the free-form side of things, so I'm curious to hear what the not-technically-Brand X will be like.

Related to the above, I saw a UK female duo called the Dear Janes a few years ago, got to meet them afterwards, and their bass player was John Giblin. He was a bit shocked when I complimented him on Brand X, with all the other sessions and things he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lo-Fi Resistance View Post
    I had the opportunity to jam with Percy a couple of years back. Wonderful person along with his wife. We went out for a couple of pints afterwards, and I'm a real lightweight haha. Lots of awesome anecdotes from the '70s; Fripp stories, Eno, Bowie, etc. He has a project called MJ-12 (I think), and they play out in NYC a bit. He has been much more into the free-form side of things, so I'm curious to hear what the not-technically-Brand X will be like.
    I got to chat with Percy after a Tunnels gig here in Atlanta sometime in 2006, great guy, VERY interesting character too, his non-musical interests are quite intriguing, like ham-radio for instance.
    Never play slap bass around bears, you'll make them VERY angry.

Been listening and loving Brand X since Moroccan Roll so had to satisfy my curiosity ! Just bought the download and really enjoying it. The vocalist has an interesting "style" but it's the instrumental work that's the real highlight for me. Some good "Brand X" stuff in there.

K

vocalist ruins it for me... hope they do an album w/o him
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I just downloaded it. David Sancious kicking major ass on a synth solo did it for me. This is great music and the singer sounds fine to me.

Sounds good. Also interesting to hear that a live Fire Merchants CD may be forthcoming.

Hope this Cymbalic Encounters does a tour. Hearing Brand X and Sancious would be a dream show.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Just noticed that Cuneiform has the Brand X trilogy compilation for $28. This has the 2 90s albums and a live set from '79.

I came close to ordering the Cymbalic Encounters download, but I listened to the previews on Amazon and decided I couldn't take the singer.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 04-05-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I could do without the singing too -- Brand X was essentially an instrumental band. And I HATE autotune. But I can see why he uses it -- can't carry a tune in a bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Also interesting to hear that a live Fire Merchants CD may be forthcoming.
    NICE. Soundboard?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    NICE. Soundboard?
    The entire comment on the John Goodsall Youtube channel is "no Brand X plans right now but hoping to release a live Fire Merchants album soon".

FYI: Sancious is on 1 tune. Dennard plays percussion on 1 tune. Ryo Okumoto plays synth bass on 1 tune. Murdock plays drums & keys on all tracks & sings on several.

There are two Fire Merchants soundboard recordings on Dime from 89 and 90.

Sounds like Kraan!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    There are two Fire Merchants soundboard recordings on Dime from 89 and 90.
    Only one of those is a soundboard--the other one is a good sounding audience tape.

An official live Fire Merchants disc from John Goodsall sounds promising! (I hope it's the original band with Chester, rather than a later drummer.)
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

I have no problem with Toss Panos on drums. If he's on the live disc I'm sure I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up - - - Jeff

Sounds quite good.