Thread: Interesting new(sih) band out of Melbourne

Suspended

Interesting new(ish) band out of Melbourne

Hiatus Kaiyote have been around a couple of years but suddenly seem to be getting a lot of attention. This is some of the oddest music I have heard in a long time, certainly from an Australian band. Have a listen and see what you think. I cannot make up my mind whether I like it or not, but it's certainly interesting.

What is it? "Neo-soul" is the label that the music press are giving it; I would not have thought to call it that, but on the other hand I'm not sure what I would have called it. It's sort of like jazz, and sort of not.

Last edited by bob_32_116; 09-15-2015 at 01:54 PM.

I listened for about a minute. I couldn't stand the singer. Hard on the ears (and eyes). The intro had a Steely Dan-ish type vibe. Sorry but the singer just completely turned me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I listened for about a minute. I couldn't stand the singer. Hard on the ears (and eyes). The intro had a Steely Dan-ish type vibe. Sorry but the singer just completely turned me off.
    Steely Dan was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard the intro too. But after that, it didn't continue to conjure that impression. I listened to another track from the album and it was a little more adventurous, with a few tempo and groove changes. I don't think I like this stuff enough to want to buy it, but I didn't think it was half bad either (and I don't love the singer, but I don't mind her). The material struck me as being slightly jazz influenced r&b/pop. I like that they didn't employ the typical road-worn chord progressions and seem to be going for something a little different. Within the realm of most of today's pop, it felt like a bit of a breath of fresh air to me... and that's a good thing!

Her biggest influence is clearly Stevie Wonder. I was immediately reminded of his great fusion hits of the 70s, with those chord changes to flats. Her refrain of "Love You" and the piano remind me of Don't You Worry Bout A Thing.
    But soul it most definitely is NOT!

Suspended
    Yes, I'm amazed that I didn't pick the Stevie Wonder influence. Not so much that Stevie Wonder song though, but it's reminiscent of free-form songs such as "Too High" from Innervisions.

Well, it does resemble it to me, which is why I linked it.