Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Necromonkey US - Tour October 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Mattias, any more info on the LA gig? The info available locally is non-existant...
    Heres the facebook event...!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1679...message_bubble

// Mattias

Wow - I just took a look at the FB event for Houston and, much to my (not pleasant) surprise, the showtime is listed as "9:00 PM - 2:00 AM" .

First off, Kari and I aren't the spry young things we used to be - this would be a hell of stretch for both of us, but especially my wife. More of an endurance test than a show, I hate to say.

Second, you guys are playing the NJ Proghouse the very next evening - how the heck can one end a show at 2:00 AM Central Time and be ready for a show in New Jersey the next evening? I guess it's possible, but why?

Anyway, Kari and I are in discussion as to what to do - I'd really, REALLY hate to have to take a pass on such a rare, fine opportunity, but I just don't know about this...

I realize this is just "our thing", that many folks have no problem with such a time frame at all, just...argh...

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by yahonza View Post
    Wow - I just took a look at the FB event for Houston and, much to my (not pleasant) surprise, the showtime is listed as "9:00 PM - 2:00 AM" .

First off, Kari and I aren't the spry young things we used to be - this would be a hell of stretch for both of us, but especially my wife. More of an endurance test than a show, I hate to say.

<snip>
    I am utterly sympathetic personally, but see some of my comments in the "How do we Build the Audience for Prog?" thread.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I can check.

Id rather play earlier too.

Its better for us and beter for the audience.

I want to play for you guys.

// Mattias

Second, you guys are playing the NJ Proghouse the very next evening - how the heck can one end a show at 2:00 AM Central Time and be ready for a show in New Jersey the next evening? I guess it's possible, but why?

Anyway, Kari and I are in discussion as to what to do - I'd really, REALLY hate to have to take a pass on such a rare, fine opportunity, but I just don't know about this...

I realize this is just "our thing", that many folks have no problem with such a time frame at all, just...argh...

Leo

I am utterly sympathetic personally, but see some of my comments in the "How do we Build the Audience for Prog?" thread.
    Went back to that thread (which I had followed for a while), and I think I see what your points are, and heartily agree with a lot of it. For Prog to survive, it must be played live - and since there are extremely few venues (and since I live in Texas, I would say entire REGIONS) that do not or cannot support a pure "Prog" agenda, new audiences must be cultivated and the club scene is exactly the place to do it.

In the case of this gig, I totally support the venue selection - eclectic and rather exciting, really - and the "bohemian" aspect of having it in what amounts to an art gallery & performance space in a really funky area of town. That's totally cool with me.

But must we swing the pendulum all the way to the other extreme - while I can't expect a band to accommodate "old-fogeyism", does it have to be a three-band format, starting at 9:00 PM and going all the way to 2:00 AM? Rhetorical question, I guess.

I've been with friends to see many a djent band, with three-band bills included, that ended at or before midnight, and had plenty of younger folks...

Mattias, thank you so much for your kind and generous reply - I would never expect you to cater to one fan's situation, but I would think you would want a schedule more favorable for your (and your band's) sake... Believe me, Kari and I have been talking about this gig since we found out about it.

You have been more than gracious in your communications, both here and on FB. Whatever happens, we remain dedicated fans, and will support you and your many projects for years to come .

Leo

Well, if we play at 9-ish then we get the nerves out of the way (the verse on Pluto is the worst thing Ive ever written) and we might be able to enjoy a cold beverage afterwards.

It makes sense...in all sorts of ways.

// Mattias

Well, if we play at 9-ish then we get the nerves out of the way (the verse on Pluto is the worst thing Ive ever written) and we might be able to enjoy a cold beverage afterwards.

It makes sense...in all sorts of ways.

// Mattias
    Awesome, Mattias - I will check as the week progresses.

And "Pluto" is fine to my ears, as is all the Necromonkey material ....

Leo

P.S. I'll be glad to buy the first round of cold beverages....

But must we swing the pendulum all the way to the other extreme - while I can't expect a band to accommodate "old-fogeyism", does it have to be a three-band format, starting at 9:00 PM and going all the way to 2:00 AM? Rhetorical question, I guess.

I've been with friends to see many a djent band, with three-band bills included, that ended at or before midnight, and had plenty of younger folks...

Leo
    My guess it is the venue sets the time and the band has no say in it. I live in a college town and quite a few venues here do not start live music until 9 and sometimes 9:30PM at night (the fairly well known Bell's Brewery is a good example). It does not matter who is playing or what night of the week it is, it is just what they do.

We have changed the list so we are playing first!

Best regards,

// Mattias

Awesome, Mattias - I will check as the week progresses.

And "Pluto" is fine to my ears, as is all the Necromonkey material ....

Leo

P.S. I'll be glad to buy the first round of cold beverages....

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    We have changed the list so we are playing first!

Best regards,

// Mattias
    Mattias - you are a man among men, a musician among musicians !

Thank you so very much - and see you on Saturday!

Leo

P.S. GO ASTROS!!!