Thread: Rick Wakeman in health scare-touring commitments cancelled!

Rick Wakeman in health scare-touring commitments cancelled!

Piano tour dropped, Journey show in doubt as Rick finally listens to warnings from family and management
    Rick Wakeman has called off his Wakemanfest event over health concerns.

He’s also dropped a piano tour from his 2015 schedule, while a Christmas performance of Journey To The Centre Of The Earth is in doubt, and plans for next year will be curtailed.

It follows what he calls a “serious health scare” that took place earlier this year, after he finally began listening to warnings from his family and management.

Wakeman says on his website: “Although my health has improved, and blood pressure heading the right way, it’s meant that, on advice, I have had to take a really close look at what is currently in for the rest of this year.

“Apart from Wakemanfest, piano dates in Scandinavia currently pencilled for November and December have had to go, and the proposed Journey To The Centre Of The Earth in Tenerife at Christmas is under review.”

He admits: “It’s totally my fault. I allowed the diary to start filling up again and everything stemmed from that. My management, agents and indeed my wife basically read me the riot act – again – and I succumbed to the fact that I really do have to listen.”

But he reports that nothing has been cancelled, just postponed, adding: “Announcements will be made as to new days, early next year, after my next medical.”

Wakemanfest, originally set for the end of October, is set to be rescheduled with all the original artists on board, and the chance that son Adam can join the bill. Meanwhile, he’ll perform with the English Rock Ensemble at Barrow Hill Roundhouse, Chesterfield, as planned on September 11 (Friday).

The former Yes keyboardist continues: “Rachel and I are going to take a holiday – our first one for more than eight years. This is an order from management, agents, doctors, and of course, my lovely wife!”

Hopefully some rest will do him well.

He didn't look very good on Prog Awards---he needs to lose that belly of his--not healthy for someone with a heart condition.

Wishing Rick the best of health. He supposedly had a heart attack in the 70's, have always wondered how long he would be with us. Saw him perform I think four times in the Northeast U.S., and he was always great. First time was with his son Oliver. With his tremendous musical chops and verbal skills, he certainly puts on a great show for those in the know. Seeing solo shows from him and also Steve Howe have been some of the finest musical moments of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Hopefully some exercise will do him well.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitches Bender View Post
    Wishing Rick the best of health. He supposedly had a heart attack in the 70's, have always wondered how long he would be with us. Saw him perform I think four times in the Northeast U.S., and he was always great. First time was with his son Oliver. With his tremendous musical chops and verbal skills, he certainly puts on a great show for those in the know. Seeing solo shows from him and also Steve Howe have been some of the finest musical moments of my life.
    Ya he had a heart attack ---no one is better live than Rick with Yes (although Moraz had his own power)

Get well soon Rick.