Thread: New Bryan Adams produced by Jeff Lynne

New Bryan Adams produced by Jeff Lynne

Not a big Adams fan, but this song sure has Lynne's touch.

This is part of the the press release about it:

Multi-platinum recording artist Bryan Adams is set to release his thirteenth studio album, Get Up (UMe), on October 16th. Produced by famed ELO frontman Jeff Lynne and co-written with his long-time collaborator Jim Vallance, the album features nine new songs and four acoustic versions, tracklisting below. Get Up is available for pre-order now via all digital partners and includes instant-grat track "You Belong To Me," followed by lead track "Brand New Day" available September 7, and the final early download, "Don't Even Try" prior to street date.

Get Up is a solid collection of beautifully-crafted rock songs, from the fast and furious up-tempo tracks such as lead song "Brand New Day," "You Belong To Me" and "Thunderbolt," to the gentler songs such as "Don't Even Try" and "We Did It All," plus the alternative Adams-produced acoustic versions, highlighting Adams' unique voice and depth..

Get Up is a body of work that Adams is truly proud of and with multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, producer Jeff Lynne - whose credits include The Beatles, Paul McCartney, Randy Newman and Tom Petty, as well as being the co-founder, producer and member of the Traveling Wilburys - at the helm shaping the record, Get Up will sit nicely alongside Adams' earlier classics.

"It came together quite organically," recalls Adams, "song by song, working with Jeff producing over the past couple of years whenever he had time. It was a great partnership as it gave me plenty of time to write the songs, most of which are a collaboration with Jim Vallance. We all worked primarily over the internet from Canada, Europe and LA, sending demos and parts of songs until we got it right."

"I've always been a big fan of Bryan so getting to work with him was a great pleasure," says Jeff Lynne. "Bryan would send me a demo across the internet, then I would play most of the instruments to make a finished backing track and send it back to him in England. There he would put the lead vocal on to the song and send it back to me in California, 5,400 miles apart! And it's turned out to be a rockin' album!"

Good Lord, it's like 1990s Tom Petty/Wilburys all over again.

And where have I heard that riff before?

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I still wanna hear that Bryan Adams/Jim Vallance demo that Gene Simmons turned into War Machine.

So since most of this album was made in California and England, I take it it won't meet CanCon regs and therefore won't be serviced by Canadian radio and MuchMusic, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Good Lord, it's like 1990s Tom Petty/Wilburys all over again.
    Isn't it great??!! I hope the rest of the album is like this. Color me interested!

Yup --- its got that 8th-note acoustic guitar strum that is signature Lynne........... Very very warm track: One of Lynne's better production efforts so far

Suspended
    Bryan Adams is a strange artist. Among the multitude of drippy soporific songs he has recorded over the years, there is just a handful of truly stunning songs. A local station often plays "Back to You", which is odd because I didn't think it was a major hit back in the day. I just wish all his songs were as good as that one. It's not "prog" at all, but it pretty much has everything I would want in a rock song.

------------------------------------

Regarding Lynne: for what it's worth, Roy Orbison is on record as saying that Jeff Lynne was the best producer he ever worked with. That's high praise coming from someone like the Big 'O'.