Thread: Rêve Général (Guigou Chenevier Volapük )

Rêve Général (Guigou Chenevier Volapük )

A new formation brings together 2 bands Volapük and Metamorphosis soon on altrock
    Three members of Volapük and Metamorphosis form this multinational group - 7 musicians, 5 nationalities
    (Japan, France, Austria, Czech Republic, Turkey)
    2 violins, 2 cellos, 2 guitars, 1 drum set.
    28 strings ... and some skins...
    Takumi Fukushima - violin, vocal
    Guigou Chenevier - drums
    Guillaume Saurel - cello, bass guitar, vocal
    Christoph Pajer - violin, vocal
    Jan Kavan - cello
    Richard Deutsch - guitar, vocal
    Martin Alacam - guitar, vocal

https://soundcloud.com/udi-koomran/r...xpress-extract

Sounds like a noir-chamber extravaganza, this one! Has there even been anything heard from Volapük since Polyglöt? I was under the impression that they folded long ago...

It'll be nice to have the AltrOck announcement on new releases overall, as I know there are a couple of other interesting names as well coming up.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Sounds like a noir-chamber extravaganza, this one! Has there even been anything heard from Volapük since Polyglöt? I was under the impression that they folded long ago...

It'll be nice to have the AltrOck announcement on new releases overall, as I know there are a couple of other interesting names as well coming up.
    They did one of my favourite albums ever, "Where is tamashii?"
    I dont think I ever heard a project with Gouigou Chenevier involvement which I did not at least like.

^

Have to agree. Great writer, immensely amazing (and creative!) drummer. His instrumental technique always reminded me of a merger of Vander and Hayward, just astounding.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yup master musician master drummer
    I saw Volapuk twice
    this is one of those anticipated RIO Shows
    Richard will I get to see you there ?

^

Udi, I WAS going this year (had the moneys ready and everything) - and I don't think I've anticipated any musical event as much for a long, long while - but I got work commitments and have to attend to my fatherly duties that weekend, so it can't be. I'll likely be regretting for the rest of my life not having turned every possible stone, but things are extremely complicated in that regard. From the programme it promises to become one helluvan experience, so it's an unhappy situation for my part (although I won't actually permit myself to think that way, as I battled for such a long time for my youngest kid's mum to come and live in Oslo for me to be with him).

Agh man you will be missed
    appreciate your dedication to your family !

chalkpie
    Wow - I'm sure this will kick some ass

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Looking forward to seeing Guigou too; haven't seen him since Etron Fou in 1985 or 1986....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ok, the performance at RIO was one of the highlights of the festival for me. Simply superb melding of violins, cellos', guitars and drums, really good vocals as well. Guigou wins the prize for most sweat in a shirt. I grabbed the CD and it sounds just as great as they did live. Here's the bandcamp of the whole album.

http://altrockproductions.bandcamp.com/album/howl
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I"ll buy this.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Haven't heard the album yet (though I bought it in Carmaux), but if it's anything as good as the RIO Fest set they played , it can only be excellent.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Listened to the album on Bandcamp - superb. With this and the Brezhnev Fun Club record Altr0ck are really hitting a sweet spot for me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Listened to the album on Bandcamp - superb. With this and the Brezhnev Fun Club record Altr0ck are really hitting a sweet spot for me at the moment.
    I agree thoroughly. I bought the Fun Club as soon as Wayside had it, and it has been such a delight. It seems to have been written a decade ago, then they took their time writing the orchestration and accompaniment. The Zappa references are so integral to the music. It feels like another step forward from Zappa's best "jazz" records. Also downloaded the Rêve Général, now I plan to get the CD as well. Lotsa thanks to AltRock.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Color me autobuy'd.

So lucky we were able to make the deadline and have this for sale at RIO phew that was a close call

I just heard the first half this morning on the way to work.... can't wait to be on the way home for the second half

Definitively will make my 2015 Top 10 list.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I see its now in the altrock store. Will order soon.

I am loving this album. Certainly in my top 5 of 2015 at the moment. I am also surprised by the quality of the chanson on the album. You do not hear them like that too often anymore. Probably my favourite sing-song of the year.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I am loving this album. Certainly in my top 5 of 2015 at the moment. I am also surprised by the quality of the chanson on the album. You do not hear them like that too often anymore. Probably my favourite sing-song of the year.
    It's certainly going to be in my top 5 on the year, probably top 3. I'm getting so much enjoyment out of this one.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Yeah, Si tu Veux is shaping up to be my favourite actual song of the year*.

*With the possible exception of a couple from Björk's album. But Björk exists in a category of her own.