Thread: Jethro Tull: The Rock Opera

Jethro Tull: The Rock Opera

Ian Anderson premiered "Jethro Tull: The Rock Opera" tonight at the Basingstoke Anvil. It was mostly performed by the Ian and the band but with "virtual guests" (David Goodier, Ryan O'Donnell & Unnar Birna Bjornsdottir providing some of the vocal). The songs are 80% classic Tull with a handful of new songs mixed in. Setlist here.

It worked very well and was well received.

Very interesting, thanks for that post! I'm intrigued by the new song titles.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Ian Anderson premiered "Jethro Tull: The Rock Opera" tonight at the Basingstoke Anvil. It was mostly performed by the Ian and the band but with "virtual guests" (David Goodier, Ryan O'Donnell & Unnar Birna Bjornsdottir providing some of the vocal). The songs are 80% classic Tull with a handful of new songs mixed in. Setlist here.
    I had read that this tour would not include Ryan O'Donnell. Was he present onstage, or was he "virtual"?

He was virtual.

How much singing did Ian do and if he did much at all, how were his vocals?

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    How much singing did Ian do and if he did much at all, how were his vocals?
    *********SPOILERS***************

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ian-an...-43f75bcb.html
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

chalkpie
    ^band sounds great. Vocals, well, you know...

So where's David Goodier?

Only present as a "virtual singer", bass was played by Greig Robinson.

Gaaah. That "Jack in the Green" was paced soooo sloooowlyyyy... I don't think the vocals disastrously bad, though.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm waiting for Jon Anderson's Yes: The Rock Opera

Ian doesn't sound that bad after all, I've heard him sound a lot worse.

Bringing this back to page 1. I will attend the performance tonight in Seattle.....any current thoughts from folks who have been to a 2016 performance? Yeah, yeah.....I know about the voice......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I have seen this show a number of times and out of the various review's written about it, I think the one below best sums up the performance.

http://mirkintileexchange.wordpress....tober-15-2016/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wish he'd been able to bring it to Manhattan!

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    I have seen this show a number of times and out of the various review's written about it, I think the one below best sums up the performance.

http://mirkintileexchange.wordpress....tober-15-2016/
    I read that review but the most surprising thing to me was the billing on the marquee and the tix. The ticket says only "Jethro Tull" and the marquee has all the correct information but displayed in such a fashion that most casual fans would assume the band Jethro Tull were playing. The review writer implied that a lot of people were fooled. Was that the case when you saw them? Were a lot people expecting Jethro Tull the band? Or did most people know that they were getting a rock opera "about" Jethro Tull?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Was that the case when you saw them? Were a lot people expecting Jethro Tull the band? Or did most people know that they were getting a rock opera "about" Jethro Tull?
    I saw the tour in the UK and I think it was clear to everyone I spoke to that they were expecting Ian Anderson's band rather than Tull