Thread: Q: How many years B4 software can analyze, & then sing a song w said analyzed voice?

Q: How many years B4 software can analyze, & then sing a song w said analyzed voice?

I have seen software already that sings with a few different women's voices (just by typing in the words for them to sing by). And I also have seen JamOrigin's Midi Guitar that can basically recognize individual notes in chords in a mix and reproduce them separately via midi in real time. How long before a software will be able to analyze Jon Anderson's voice from a few song examples and then be able to recreate his timbre, accent and style... or any other given singer (just chose Jon because he is unique).

I realize this is speculative,... but there are some talented techies on PE. What say you?
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

Apparently, you are familiar with the Yamaha Vocaloid

Probably within ten years or so we will have sample libraries of famous vocalists

Im actually saying that wrong -- based on current technology available to the public user, what we will have is timbre shaping libraries of famous vocalists: They will use actual samples of a persons vocal "fingerprint", encode all the timbre information, and apply it to a diction library. This way, you can choose "In The Style of <insert name here> "

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Apparently, you are familiar with the Yamaha Vocaloid
    Well, it's great we can synthesize a voice that sounds like Eric Woolfson singing through a trumpet, anyway.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Suspended
    There is a piece of software called Ke$ha that does exactly what the OP describes.

Hard to say when, but I'd say sooner than we think. The day may not be far off when pretty much all popular music and film is produced entirely by programmers, using digital actors and vocalists/musicians.

Wow, thats a harsh asessment. I'll still spend hours in my studio cranking out tunes the old fashioned way, and playing them for no one but myself and occasionally someone who feigns interest.

For people who dont sing, this may be a great thing, though I think the auto-tune feature has already run its course (hopefully) . They can write words and give songs a bit more diversity. I love Steve Morse albums but have sometimes wished he'd used a vocalist. It could have taken his insanley good albums up a notch of course, it could also screw it up if not done with the same quality musicianship as the rest of his band

Oh sure, people like us will keep cranking stuff out and the hipsters will be into real music and low budget shows with live actors but the real mass appeal stuff will be virtual. Why waste time and money on a real Taylor Swift or Katy Perry when a guy like me can just make you one at a fraction of the cost

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Wow, thats a harsh asessment. I'll still spend hours in my studio cranking out tunes the old fashioned way, and playing them for no one but myself and occasionally someone who feigns interest.

For people who dont sing, this may be a great thing, though I think the auto-tune feature has already run its course (hopefully) . They can write words and give songs a bit more diversity. I love Steve Morse albums but have sometimes wished he'd used a vocalist. It could have taken his insanley good albums up a notch of course, it could also screw it up if not done with the same quality musicianship as the rest of his band
    I think technology is getting to the point that Enough is too Much......... There will be a market for VSTi programmed vocalists: I can see its uses in aspects of soundtrack work, anime, news and film shorts, jingles, muzak, " faceless" music such as techno-dance club music,etc. for getting a project completed before a deadline.....but I think its gonna be a hard sell to the general public and popular music at large

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_5956420.html

She's the industrial age version. It has already begun.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_5956420.html

She's the industrial age version. It has already begun.
    Yeah,...the whole Tupac experiment got that ball rolling....it will have a place, for sure