Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bartok binge!

Bernstein's versions of the Concerto for orchestra & Music for strings..., and the Alban Berg Quartet's versions of the string quartets are also very good.

Reid, thanks for the link. I'm not a fan of Górecki's music, especially *that* piece, but I'm a huge fan of Lutosławski and early Penderecki. Lutosławski's 3rd symphony is a favorite:

I was fortunate to be able to hear Esa-Pekka Salonen conduct the world premiere of his 4th Symphony with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, here's a performance from Paris:

Penderecki basically has two phases to his musical life: the radical of the 50's and 60's who moved to a more tonal idiom. His opera The Devils of Loudon is one of the first opera LP's I bought, it's a wild piece. Then there's this, it still sounds pretty amazing 55 years later:

Time to dig out my Lutosławski and Penderecki stuff for a fresh listen.
    ...or you could love

I don't know Gorecki's music. I'm a fan of the other two, and Szymanowski. I don't want to hijack Frank's Bartok thread other than to mention that after discovering Bartok's Concerto For Orchestra several years ago, I've since discovered several more great ones by Elliott Carter, Lutoslawski, and most recently, Roberto Gerhard. The second movement of Bartok's concerto is what first captured my imagination, but now I love the entire piece. I also dig the orchestral version of the sonata for two pianos and percussion recorded by Boulez. And Boulez was quoted in the liner notes stating in his opinion, it's one of Bartok's finest pieces.

Ahh, found it! Not the easiest search on youtube... Bartok's concerto for orchestra, transcribed for piano and performed by Gyorgy Sandor.

I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

And the rest of Sandor's piano performance. (Only three videos per page and there isn't a single youtube of the whole thing.)

I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Thanks, MissKitty! Will give that a listen.

My favorite Bartok pieces are: 3d Piano Concerto, First Violin Concerto, Music for Strings, Percussion & Celeste, Miracleous Mandarin, The Wooden Prince, and Concerto for Double Piano( transcripted Sonata for 2 Pianos and Percussion).
    I have doubts about Concerto for Orchestra, been considered by some grand authorities as his top work.

Started my binge today listening to The Miraculous Mandarin, Concerto for Orchestra, Cantata Profana, and The Wooden Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Started my binge today listening to The Miraculous Mandarin, Concerto for Orchestra, Cantata Profana, and The Wooden Prince.
    Nerd.

Miraculous Mandarin kicks me arse.

Yeah, man. Miraculous Mandarin is supah killah.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I have two sets of the quartets. The Alban Berg Quartet, and Takacs, but I'm still not satisfied. Both of these recordings are kind of harsh sounding, so I'm still searching for a group with a warmer sound.
    I have been happy with my New Budapest Quartet cd set.

Side note, if you check out Legeti String Quartet no. 1, the Wergo cd release by Arditti Quartet is fantastic

I picked up a 6 cd box set of orchestral Bartok a while back- time I gave it a proper listen - thanks for the reminder!
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Bluebeard's Castle is simply an incredible work of art. And one more vote from me for the Emerson String Quartets, which I have played to death as a young fellow.

Shit, I think I even prefer the Emersons in doing Shostakovich string quartets than the universally acclaimed Borodin version. They seem to enjoy themselves so much in playing his music!

I've warmed up to the Takacs string quartets set on Decca. I'd say it's both a great recording with excellent performances. I got a nice used copy of the Emersons set last year but I didn't like their No.1. I'll have to get back to it for another spin.

There's a couple of opera films of Bluebeard on YouTube. I watched them last year and found it interesting to follow the story.

I take Hurwitz with a grain of salt sometimes, but I usually come away knowing more then I did prior.

There's a couple of opera films of Bluebeard on YouTube. I watched them last year and found it interesting to follow the story.
    The storyline is simply amazing, it's dark and morbid, funny and sarcastic at the same time, so ambivalent. And this ambivalent spirit has been translated into music so brilliantly by Bartok, the dynamics are so powerful.

What? No Music for Stings, Percussion and Celesta?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    What? No Music for Stings, Percussion and Celesta?
    I don't think he's finished yet.

For those mofos who dig on "stuff like" the Bartok and Shostakovich Quartets, I think your asses should check out the Vagn Holmboe Quartets.

Here's the first movement of no. 3.

https://youtu.be/ICwEZw4veSg

OK, bye.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I don't think he's finished yet.
    I just put on the Solti Chicago recording of Music for Strings. Also listening to the Boulez orchestral arrangement of Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    For those mofos who dig on "stuff like" the Bartok and Shostakovich Quartets, I think your asses should check out the Vagn Holmboe Quartets.

Here's the first movement of no. 3.

https://youtu.be/ICwEZw4veSg

OK, bye.
    Great schnitt. Could work as a horror movie soundtrack scene in which a prog fan comes down the stairs naked wearing only a Strawberry Shortcake mask.

OK, bye bye.

This will play all of the Concerto for Orchestra piano transcription by Gyorgy Sandor videos in sequence as a playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch_videos...rg,R6JHM_Nc5as
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

I was gonna listen to Boulez's recordings of the Bartok piano concerti, but could find only the first one on my phone. Turns out, for whatever reason, each concerto is tagged to a different artist, that being the soloist (i.e. Boulez recorded each concerto with a different soloist), and hence, Windows Media Player had each one in a different place in the list of albums, or whatever. But I've got that big boxset that Deutsche Gramophone put out of all their Boulez recordings, something like 82 CD's or whatever, and that has all the Bartok stuff in it (among many other treasures). I'll have to listen a couple of them tomorrow maybe.