Thread: Any FLAIRCK Fans Here ?

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

Any FLAIRCK Fans Here ?

I'm guessing the answer is yes.

I've got 2 or 3 of their albums but haven't played them in 25 years or so
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

To my knowledge I have all of their albums and in my humble opinion they are an outstanding ensemble and while some of their releases are clearly better than others they have always been a class act. They have a number of live albums well worth investigating as well.

HUGE fan...YES indeed!!! I have all of their releases. And they are still going strong. Such varied and eclectic music. Extremely visual in concert too. Check out one of their off-shoots...ZENGA. More amazing stuff. http://www.zenga.nl/

The "original" band (i.e. the second line-up with Sylvia Houtzager on violin but without Hans Visser on bass, as he hasn't played in years and has retrained as a luthier) is back and touring again. Really need to see them again after the last time I saw which was I think the Kamers (Chambers) tour.

The song "Prelude In Sofia" that Kenso made popular was written by Peter Weekers of Flairck.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    The "original" band (i.e. the second line-up with Sylvia Houtzager on violin but without Hans Visser on bass, as he hasn't played in years and has retrained as a luthier) is back and touring again. Really need to see them again after the last time I saw which was I think the Kamers (Chambers) tour.
    I sure wished they would come to the US. AFAIK, they have never played in the US??

great band... Only wish that some of their stage shows from earlier where documented with live or studio recordings
    i.e. "The Battle" 2011, "Steam Engine Waltz" 2007, "Lucia de Moucheron" 2004,

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

only got one album of theirs (somewhere, forgotten).... Didn't like it much...

Seems to suffer from the Dutch disease of riping off the classics
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great band! I particularly enjoy De Optocht, which to my ears is the best thing they did, great musician interplay, varied music with several rather short sections connected forming an extended piece, and including some very energetic violin, getting quite heavy to Flairck's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    I sure wished they would come to the US. AFAIK, they have never played in the US??
    I saw them perform at The Bottom Line in NYC. Brought here by their North American fan club. There literally were 10 people in the audience. Ticket sales were so poor they cancelled the late show.

Anyway...they were amazing.

Amazing band. Have their box set "22" - not all of the albums there are great, but I would certainly recommend Kamers, De Optocht and De Gouden Eeuw. Also the first two albums are actually very good.
    They were touring in small Dutch towns last winter, I have managed to attend one of the concerts - it was simply outstanding!

I have Variaties op een dame and Circus. I really like both of them. Very cool and unique acoustic ensemble, but the playing on Variaties... (especially the violin and pan-flute solos on the title suite) is just insane! I need to hear more of their albums.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I saw them perform at The Bottom Line in NYC. Brought here by their North American fan club. There literally were 10 people in the audience. Ticket sales were so poor they cancelled the late show.

Anyway...they were amazing.
    I was also at that very show! Astounding performance! they wheeled a box onto the stage with a white balloon on top that started to inflate. As it grew, you saw a woman inside it. The moment it popped she jumped into the air playing her violin & landing right on the beat! Unforgettable!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I had a few of their albums on vinyl back in the day. I liked them. One, 'Gevecht met de engel', or something like that, was particularly good. There was also an album with a female vocalist, and for at least one of the songs Pete Sinfield wrote the lyrics. 'Walk Upon Dreams' I think it was. Nice song. I also had 'Cirkus', and their debut. I have a later album on cd, but don't like it quite as much as those earlier albums.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

Back in the days of vinyl, I owned Gevecht Met De Engel.

Since converting to CD some 30 years ago, I now own CD issues of Variaties Op Een Dame, Gevecht Met De Engel, Circus, and Bal Masque.

Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    They were touring in small Dutch towns last winter, I have managed to attend one of the concerts - it was simply outstanding!
    Yeah, I saw a poster for a concert of them in Alkmaar or Haarlem, and thought I'd check it out... then I kind of forgot about it when time came around

my loss I guess
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.