Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keith Richards says Black Sabbath are a 'great joke'!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It would be good to have a focussed, concise last statement from these guys.
    You mean, like if they were to WRITE SONGS?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I find that transitivity doesn't work in music matters. It's often happened that I read an interview with one of my favourite musicians, and they list the musicians who they listen to and who influenced them, and I think "He listens to that crap?"
    I remember reading an interview with John McLaughlin several years ago where he mentions how much he likes The Eagles (the band, not the football team), and I immediately let out a loud guffaw because I couldn't help thinking of all the PE members now on suicide watch after hearing that Johnny Mac, the God of fusion, liked The Eagles.

As an aside I don't think Black Sabbath's '13' was all that. It's a contrived 'return to form' and was too self-referential IMHO.
    I can't disagree entirely. "Contrived" is a good descriptor. Still, I think it's a damn, fine album. It's their way of coming full circle with their career. I understand they're working on another "final" album.

What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I remember reading an interview with John McLaughlin several years ago where he mentions how much he likes The Eagles (the band, not the football team), and I immediately let out a loud guffaw because I couldn't help thinking of all the PE members now on suicide watch after hearing that Johnny Mac, the God of fusion, liked The Eagles.
    Not surprising at all, I would imagine *most* musicians are actually quite open-minded. Also in the jazz area, I listened to a radio interview with Pat Metheny about his career and he stated one of his favourite vocalists was Karen Carpenter. As a fan of both, that was nice.

Keith likes what he likes, which is fine, but I don't think his sweeping dismissals should ever be taken seriously.

"I don't like old people on a rock n' roll stage. I think they look pathetic, me included."
    -- Grace Slick
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Keith has an opinion. Just like everyone around here.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    "I don't like old people on a rock n' roll stage. I think they look pathetic, me included."
    -- Grace Slick
    Wise statement.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Why does anyone on here even care what Keith Richards thinks anyway? Does him not liking something somehow invalidate your taste in music? If someone says they don't like YES or Genesis or whatever prog band you like are you suddenly going to say to yourself "You know, maybe they are right maybe Supper's Ready is crap?" No, I don't think so.

I don't know if Black Sabbath are a great joke, but I did think that Born Again was an uproariously funny album . . . . . . . . . . .
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

-- Grace Slick
    This, from a woman who sang possibly the worst set of lyrics Bernie Taupin's ever written!

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Keith has an opinion. Just like everyone around here.
    Opinions are like assholes.

Everyone has one.

No-one wants to hear yours.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    -- Grace Slick
    she retired too-making her at least true to her words
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    This, from a woman who sang possibly the worst set of lyrics Bernie Taupin's ever written!
    in Grace's defense, she basically burned through most of the wealth she had earned through the 60's and 70's. near the end, I think she was eyeballing a retirement package. and in all honesty, her antics back in the day made the shit Kanye, Miley and Belieber do look tame-I mean, her and Jefferson Airplane took on Hell's Angels at Altamont (although Marty is way more badass than anybody gives him credit for-when the Angel's were beating up someone, he leaped in to break it up). In fact, even at her age, if Kanye took a mic from her at a music show, she would take his ass to the floor. Grace was and still is the original female rock badass.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Why does anyone on here even care what Keith Richards thinks anyway? Does him not liking something somehow invalidate your taste in music? If someone says they don't like YES or Genesis or whatever prog band you like are you suddenly going to say to yourself "You know, maybe they are right maybe Supper's Ready is crap?" No, I don't think so.
    Keith's comments don't upset me in the least, they just leave me scratching my head. If he had said Selling England was rubbish, I would have thought "No surprises there, it's a whole different art form from what he does". What threw me a little was his criticising heavy metal bands apparently on the grounds that their music does not have enough nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    ...I'd probably stay home and read a book.
    I'd rather watch these guys

arcturus.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    although Marty is way more badass than anybody gives him credit for-when the Angel's were beating up someone, he leaped in to break it up
    You're leaving out the part where Marty, by his own account "woke up in an ambulance covered in boot prints". But yeah, it takes big mivonks to square off a bunch of Hell's Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You're leaving out the part where Marty, by his own account "woke up in an ambulance covered in boot prints". But yeah, it takes big mivonks to square off a bunch of Hell's Angels.

well, that was a given. bikers don't just sit there when you try to stop them from being assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Keith has an opinion arsehole. Just like everyone around here.

Bill
    fixed that for you

unfortunately, his is just under his nose
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

in Grace's defense, she basically burned through most of the wealth she had earned through the 60's and 70's. near the end, I think she was eyeballing a retirement package. and in all honesty, her antics back in the day made the shit Kanye, Miley and Belieber do look tame-I mean, her and Jefferson Airplane took on Hell's Angels at Altamont (although Marty is way more badass than anybody gives him credit for-when the Angel's were beating up someone, he leaped in to break it up). In fact, even at her age, if Kanye took a mic from her at a music show, she would take his ass to the floor. Grace was and still is the original female rock badass.
    Yup, not always a class act, but she was quite the top rebell for some 15 years before accepting that Kantner-less) Starship role.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup, not always a class act, but she was quite the top rebell for some 15 years before accepting that Kantner-less) Starship role.
    Grace provided a sort of role model for me-not the heavy addictions parts, but the aggressive, alpha female part.

Grace provided a sort of role model for me-not the heavy addictions parts, but the aggressive, alpha female part.
    gotta appreciate the scandal she made in front of the hotel room door when Marty refused to let her fuck him...
    Last edited by Trane; 09-06-2015 at 04:18 AM.

gotta appreciate the scandal she made in front of the hotel room door when Marty refused to j$let her fuck him...
    which is why later I decided to use Boadica as a role model...

I've got no objection to Grace raping anyone (well during her glory years)

Who's Boadica??

Suspended
    I've got no objection to Grace raping anyone (well during her glory years)

Who's Boadica??
    And I thought I was out of touch.