Thread: King Crimson forthcoming live "USA II"

King Crimson forthcoming live "USA II"

Hello everybody,
    not much detail yet but in the new King Crimson's tour box there are some news about a forthcoming live album of the 2014 tour, under the title of "USA II".
    It's not of course written in stone, let's remember that "The power to believe" had to be called "Nuovo metal" (a better title, IMHO) stating to the Level Five booklet.

This is what dgm told us today: "21st Century Schizoid Man - 2014 San Francisco: Previously unreleased, From 12" Cyclops Picture Disc EP & forthcoming USA II album"
    We get to know that the cyclop picture disc won't have a title, while the live album will. Let's just hope it'll be a whole-set live album and not - like USA - a shortened and edited version of it. Also, in previous posts it was stated that the record was to be mixed by Jakko, I wonder if it's going to be very different from the Jakko/Harrison Frontline/Backline mix of the Orpheum album.

(no) more info at: http://dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=5246
    http://www.marcozanetti.it

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

Great news! I'm very happy that we finally have a title! Yes, this is a complete concert worth of material taken from last year's US tour. Interesting that they should adopt the USA II idea.
    The last mention of USA II was in 1998 and it was an entirely different project. Fripp wanted to release a re-mixed USA instead of reissuing it per se. Ronan Chris Murphy re-mixes the whole show. Fripp deemed the Providence Schizoid Man to be superfluous as it had been released on the Great Deceiver box set. So this was to be an entire Asbury Park show under the banner of USA II. Anyway, nothing came of it. USA was re-issues as-is with Chris Murphy's Fracture and Starless as bonus tracks. The complete Chris Murphy mixes eventually appeared on a Collectable King Crimson.
    Anyway, back on topic. This will probably see the light at the start of next year. YAHOO!

Any chance for a surround sound?
    The three drummers would definately benefit fron that

Good question. Who knows?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

"Nuovo metal" has nu-metal connotations all over it and i for one am thankful they didn't go that route.

Bring on USA II though!

Definitely super excited for this! The concert in 2014 was one of the musical highlights of my life. Speaking of, does anyone have any thoughts on the newly released 2014 live tracks on the (2015) Tour Box?

During his Q&A at Cardiff last night (more specifically, giving the A to a Q asked by me), David Singleton said that the live album will comprise (or represent) a whole show from the 2014 tour - i.e. it would be longer than the Orpheum CD. He said that he'd been mixing it (and also finishing off the THRAK boxset) right up until the UK tour started - in fact, the original intention had been to have it ready for sale during the UK tour.

I think (but can't swear) that he said that he was mixing it in surround sound.

The live picture disc 12" EP contains 21CSM b/w The Light Of Day & The Hell Hounds of Krim. The first and last of these are also on the 2015 tour box, and sound like mighty pieces of work. I don't know whether these tracks will also appear on the live album.

Thank you 2000jw! Stating from what's written on the detailed tracklist of the tour box it seems like only 21csm will be on USA II as well: "14: 21st Century Schizoid Man - 2014 San Francisco: Previously unreleased, From 12" Cyclops Picture Disc EP & forthcoming USA II album" therefore, of the three tracks of the cyclope picture disc:
    - HellHounds will be on the picture disc and on the tourbox
    - The light of day will be only on the picture disc
    - 21csm will be on the picture disc, tour box and USA II

Did David happen to cite whether USA II will be released in vinyl as well? I think not, but I hope so! :-)

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

Well, if we're going to be strictly accurate - and why not? - the tour box booklet only says that 21CSM and HHoK is from the Picture Disc; it's only on the dgm site (at http://dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=5246) that it also says that the former will be on the "forthcoming USA II album" (not a title I'm fond of, btw). No doubt the website is more up-to-date than the booklet, but it's not - as you note - written in stone.

I'm pretty sure that David didn't say anything about a vinyl release for the live album, MarKco. Perhaps that could be raised at one of his Q&As later in the tour? He's extremely pleasant and helpful, and appeared to be delighted to engage with us fanboys (if that's the right term).

Yep, what's on DGMlive is all but written in stone
    I don't own the Tour Box (yet) so I'll stick to what you say: the tracklist (and the name) of the record could change from here to release time.
    I don't think they'll print vinyls of it because, being a complete show, it'll probably be on two discs, and I don't think DGM/Panegyric has aver printed any double Crimso vinyl record. But there must always be a first time, doesn't it? :-) I'd like to go and talk with David in London on Monday but I don't think I will be able to be there much in advance. What time did it start in Cardiff?

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

David's talk started at 6:00, ahead of the show at 7:30. The details about how to get a place in his audience for Cardiff were put up at http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=5244, but before that post appeared, I'd already emailed the address mentioned asking whether he'd be speaking; perhaps you could do the same for the London date? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to speak with him unless your name was on the list.

Don't suppose anyone has heard anything more about the progress of this release?

Quote Originally Posted by mud_shark View Post
    Don't suppose anyone has heard anything more about the progress of this release?
    This was posted in at least one other KC thread; from DGM's posting of RF's Facebook comment I think, or something -

**There is no specific DVD or live album release currently in the calendar. But best guess is, the Venal Impulse will triumph in 2017 and put-upon innocents will be encouraged to hand over their hard-earned pay..." **
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Aaaaaaand of course, as I foresaw, no "Usa II" was ever released ;-)

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks for reviving this thread!

They're waiting until Eddie can find time to do the overdubs.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Write "USA II" on a piece of tape and stick it on your Orpheum CD.

Ta da