Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New KANSAS album, finally...

New KANSAS album, finally...

So apparently there's finally gonna be a new Kansas album. Having seen the new lineup this summer, I must say I'm quite interested to hear what they come up with!

http://www.insideoutmusic.com/newsde...12&IdCompany=8
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Nice to hear that this will really happen!

Good news, indeed. Really hoping that Kerry Livgren has some involvement, at least in the writing, however.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Good news, indeed. Really hoping that Kerry Livgren has some involvement, at least in the writing, however.
    I would love that. At the Moment he does some stuff with John Elefante...

Here's the thread from last month on the album too-

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...t=kansas+album

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Agreed. Based on the Proto-Kaw records of the 00s, Kerry very likely still "has it" in the composition department. Otherwise I'm afraid it might turn into Native Window 2. NW is ok for what it is, but it ain't Kansas...

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    So apparently there's finally gonna be a new Kansas album. Having seen the new lineup this summer, I must say I'm quite interested to hear what they come up with!

http://www.insideoutmusic.com/newsde...12&IdCompany=8
    That picture on the link looks like an Elkgrove Village city council meeting, kinda funny.

Interesting news though, this will be an 'auto-try' for me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Imagine if they had another hit on the level of Dust in the Wind? And it was proggier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Here's the thread from last month on the album too-

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...t=kansas+album
    Sorry Sean, I had forgotten about that thread! And I even searched thread titles, and somehow missed it...My bad!

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Imagine if they had another hit on the level of Dust in the Wind? And it was proggier.
    Wouldn't that be cool?
    I was a bit surprised that the Freaks of Nature album didn't do better. It was catchy, grungy, and still a little proggy. I thought it was a great '90s release that kind of mixed the best of the old and new styles. Still one of my top 3 or 4 Kansas albums to this day. I always wondered if maybe a better album cover would have helped...

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

My expectation is we get Native Window 2. It's a *nice* album with 2 good songs, and few other interesting moments spread throughout, but otherwise forgettable. Without Livgren or Walsh involved as the architects, I'm not sure how "Kansas-y" it will sound. Given that, I saw them in concert last month and they really put on a fantastic show. I am looking forward to be proven wrong and that they will step up to the plate with something as interesting as Somewhere to Elsewhere.

Oops...just saw your post, arturs...looks like we are in agreement!

scott
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

I'm not so sure. Native Window wasn't conceived as a Kansas album, so they pretty much had a clean slate when they began writing. But I'd think that if they're going to set out to make a Kansas album, that they should stay true to a more Kansas sound.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This is just as much Kansas as Proto Kaw was. No disrespect to Ehart and Williams, but 2 of original 6 does not the band make. Count me out!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Jesus on a cracker... who care if it's "the real band" or whatever... if the album comes out and it's good then it's good and if it's not it's not. For me at least. Some goes for that other band, and any others on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What drugs are you taking?

If it's on the level with Somewhere to Elsewhere count me in..

I have said this a dozen times on this forum, but anyone who has heard David Ragsdale's solo album from back in the day can attest that he is able to write really good music. I hope they use him.

Unlike the "other band," this version of Kansas is KILLING IT it in concert in a way the band hasn't in decades.

I guess Greer and Ragsdale with decades of service don't count?

What I can tell you is the band is very much aware there is a reputation at stake with this album.

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    I always wondered if maybe a better album cover would have helped...
    There's a lot to be said for that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Just when you thought they had reached the point of know return as far as making a new album goes they surprise us all.

I really liked Somewhere to Elsewhere so if it approaches that level I'm on board.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Jesus on a cracker... who care if it's "the real band" or whatever... if the album comes out and it's good then it's good and if it's not it's not.

Like I said on the other thread.......not an auto-buy. Although I am anxious to read the reviews here. I'm sure there'll be a youtube release too.

John Boegehold
    They wouldn't have been signed by InsideOut if it was going to be Native Windows part 2. They're going for a classic (first five albums) Kansas style album. From what I know, it's all very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Jesus on a cracker... who care if it's "the real band" or whatever... if the album comes out and it's good then it's good and if it's not it's not. For me at least. Some goes for that other band, and any others on top of that.
    You should be very proud of your own new album. I played it again for the umpteenth time yesterday and it's still fantastic!