Thread: RIP Wes Craven

RIP Wes Craven

One of the great horror stylists of the modern genre, IMO.

RIP
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yep, my brother sent me a text mentioning this. I'm not super familiar with him but know he was/is very important in the horror genre.

The Hills Have Eyes ( 1977)

His best imo.

RIP Wes
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

People Under the Stairs is my favorite - just re-watched it a couple of weeks ago and still impressed. Hills 1 and Last House are pretty darn good; Elm Street was a great idea, just not executed properly...and still can't really get into Serpent & Rainbow. --Peter

The Hills Have Eyes and People Under the Stairs are both quite interesting, but IMO he lost track during the 80s. I never liked the Elm Street franchise and still consider it partly responsible for converting the very concept of "horror" into something altogether shallow and overtly commercial. Serpent and the Rainbow remains one of the most hilarious attempts at horror I've ever seen, but hey - at least it's entertaining, right? Which, I suppose, became his primary objective. The Scream movies are just bland and downright tedious, I think.

Guess I'm biased from seeing truly paradigmatic horror flicks already as a kid, with every slasher post-Black Christmas appearing very dull, most supernaturals after The Exorcist being bland efforts at reproduction, the majority of paranoid thrillers after Rosemary's Baby coming across as rather lackluster and the psychological horror movie idea being already worn out by Kubrick in The Shining.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Elm Street was a great idea, just not executed properly
    Interesting. I thought it was well done. He created some very cool atmospheric techniques with the first one.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    the first one.
    Scared the heck out of me. Didn't want to get out of bed to go to the can in the middle of the night after seeing the first Nightmare.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I always loved the first Scream. Loved the self-awareness of it, and how it looked at the whole horror genre.

Granted, horror isn't my favorite genre, but I've seen many of the "classics."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I always loved the first Scream. Loved the self-awareness of it, and how it looked at the whole horror genre.

Granted, horror isn't my favorite genre, but I've seen many of the "classics."
    I can't get enough of the classics. In fact, I just watched Lugosi in "Dracula" a few days ago. Those early Universal flicks are great.

I can't get enough of the classics. In fact, I just watched Lugosi in "Dracula" a few days ago. Those early Universal flicks are great.
    Ha! I'm neglect on those classics - I was referring to Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I understand what he did but I like the older stuff better. House on Haunted Hill, Legend of Hell House, Ghost Story, Salems Lott, etc. Not alot of gore and makeup, just good scary stories. I think there is alot to be said for sci-fi and horror flicks from the 50's, 60's and 70's. You still can't beat the idea of a dark and stormy night.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Ha! I'm neglect on those classics - I was referring to Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.
    Talk about doing the same thing over and over again. Half way through NOES, I feel like I've seen everything that came after.
    The older I get, the better I was.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Wes. Your movies will live on. Unless something crawls out from under the bed and kills them.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I saw "The Last House on the Left" a few years ago for the first time, expecting a horror movie set in a haunted house of some sort. I didn't realize it was about two girls being abducted and brutally raped.

Not sure if many here know the story behind it, but when Craven sent it to the rating board, they gave it an X-rating. Knowing that he would not make money with that rating, and instead of editing it down to an R-rating, he simply released it with no rating. I'm pretty sure he was the first to do that.

I saw "The Last House on the Left" a few years ago for the first time, expecting a horror movie set in a haunted house of some sort. I didn't realize it was about two girls being abducted and brutally raped.

Not sure if many here know the story behind it, but when Craven sent it to the rating board, they gave it an X-rating. Knowing that he would not make money with that rating, and instead of editing it down to an R-rating, he simply released it with no rating. I'm pretty sure he was the first to do that.
    I have the 3-disc import DVD version and the booklet reprints some of the original script - trust me, what made it on-screen is G-rated compared to some of the original notes
    Peter

Last House On The Left and Hills Have Eyes were groundbreaking horror films.

Right up there with Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Last House is hardly a horror film, but it's highly disturbing and even difficult to watch in places. And yes, that blowjob was authentic.

The remake was poor except for Garret Dillahunt. I watched it wondering if Monica Potter would be blowjobbin' in it. Alas she wasn't, so there's only Garret.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Last House is hardly a horror film, but it's highly disturbing and even difficult to watch in places. And yes, that blowjob was authentic.

The remake was poor except for Garret Dillahunt. I watched it wondering if Monica Potter would be blowjobbin' in it. Alas she wasn't, so there's only Garret.
    Disturbing & horrifying = horror film

Nightmare on Elm Street - The best one is no. 3

Saw Last House at a drive in with my girlfriend at 16 when it came out - Disturbing

^

Disturblowjobhorfilm.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Last House and I Spit on Your Grave are very disturbing and I question the mindset of those who sit through either twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Last House is hardly a horror film, but it's highly disturbing and even difficult to watch in places.
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Disturbing & horrifying = horror film
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Last House and I Spit on Your Grave are very disturbing and I question the mindset of those who sit through either twice.
    I found it on DVD for cheap, and bought it because I thought it was a horror classic, and I like the genre, if done well. Imo, it's not a horror film, and has absolutely no entertainment value. After it was over, I found myself wondering why it was made in the first place, and the only answer I could come up with was intent to shock.

Two girls getting raped, murdered and dismembered qualifies as horrific.....imo.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    A great film is like a great album, even if it's something disturbing. Would you only listen to a great album one time? I doubt it. Some films unfold in interesting ways on repeat viewings, and as a horror fan and creator myself, I enjoy the art form. I've seen Last House probably six times since the 1970's. I guess the mindset is that I like disturbing things for various reasons...that's why I'm still here at PE after all these years

Sad news about Wes...I watched the first Scream the other night and still enjoy it for what it is. The People Under The Stairs is next because I just picked up the new Scream Factory edition.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    His best film: Red Eye (2005). I'm always pushing this, and I don't push movies much overall. A great thriller that avoids a lot of the common pitalls.