Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My carousel is filled with American prog

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

My carousel is filled with American prog

Just realized when I popped in the new Advent (so frelling good). Neighbored by echolyn, IZZ, D97, and the new Hands. 'Tis a good time methinks for American prog, particularly symph. What thinkest thou?

3 words for U.S. Symph style Prog...

Happy The Man

of course, the U.S. really shined in Fusion style Prog
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I'm thinking more about on the modern scene. You know... the latest Glass Hammer.The new live Neal Morse.New Spock's Beard. All in heavy rotation at Chez Rick.

my top 3 Merc Symph albums of the last 10 years or so

Eccentric Orbit Creation of the Humanoids USA 2014
    Morse, Neal One USA 2004
    Oblivion Sun Oblivion Sun USA 2007
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I was immediately hooked by this one that came out last month (from Texas):

Built For The Future - Chasing Light

I don't think I've seen them mentioned here at all (nor anywhere else for that matter). Plus it's dedicated to Chris Squire and the bassist even plays a Rickenbacker.

Then there's Advent and Thinking Plague.

and now that calls to mind another very good U.S. Symph artist, Cirrus Bay

I've gotten bored with 3rd wave, symph in recent years but last night I had an itch for prog and played "Wanderlust" by Little Atlas. Pretty good album. Great guitar playing.

Suspended
    Funny, when I am decid9ing what music to buy or to listen to, I never consciously put the nationality into the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    I was immediately hooked by this one that came out last month (from Texas):

Built For The Future - Chasing Light

I don't think I've seen them mentioned here at all (nor anywhere else for that matter). Plus it's dedicated to Chris Squire and the bassist even plays a Rickenbacker.
    thats not bad at all, A bit of World Trade in their sound...even made me look for the purchase CD button... sold out.. after a month of release? I'll have to check back n this one (I don't digitally buy)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Oblivion Sun Oblivion Sun USA 2007
    Is this an official release?

Lieto and I did an American prog tribute about a month ago. Check it out! https://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdee...3-usa-special/

Open post....insert foot. mpoll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    thats not bad at all, A bit of World Trade in their sound...even made me look for the purchase CD button... sold out.. after a month of release? I'll have to check back n this one (I don't digitally buy)
    Built For The Future - Chasing Light (2015).jpg

The new band Built For The Future's "Chasing Light" get better with every listen (I was lucky enough to get one of the physical copies). I think this is another case of a new artist not realizing how good their work is, and thus underestimating demand. I would think Patric Farrell (the guy behind this project) will order up another batch of CD's soon.
    "Be Well... Prog On!"

"The Progressive Tracks Show" on KPTZ 91.9 FM / KPTZ.org - Sundays at 5:00 AM and Mondays at 9:00 PM (Pacific Times)
    also on Progzilla Radio / Progzilla.com in the UK - Saturdays at 6:30 PM and Mondays at 2:30 PM (Pacific Times)

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    . 'Tis a good time methinks for American prog, particularly symph. What thinkest thou?
    Some of my fave US prog bands are going to release their new albums in 2015. And the first in the queue are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm1lMriuo5s

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Lieto and I did an American prog tribute about a month ago. Check it out! https://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdee...3-usa-special/
    Nice - thanks!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is this an official release?
    Yes, the first eponymous Oblivion Sun-album from 2007 is an official release: http://www.discogs.com/Oblivion-Sun-...elease/3880976

Suspended
    Apart from the obvious fact that American prog musicians sing with American accents rather than English accents, is there any general quality that you think sets American prog apart from British prog?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Apart from the obvious fact that American prog musicians sing with American accents rather than English accents, is there any general quality that you think sets American prog apart from British prog?
    Not a general quality, no, but there is quite a number of US prog bands who draw from very American musical influences- American folk music, jazz, Appalachian music, and the like. I would say a lot of American bands are heavily influenced by avant garde music, but not as a rule. It's a very diverse musical landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Any general quality? Hmm... The logic of your question implies the assuming of a single formatted musical expression to which there exists a given set of "qualities" - which is not the case in regard to progressive rock music. It isn't as if "American prog" and/or "British prog" are two distinct and homogenous types of musical expressions. Historically and ethymologically, this genre was never "one" music, with about 50% of progressive rock artists being all instrumental anyway.

As for American progressive rock (the term from which "prog" initially was abbreviated, IIRC, but which mostly implied a wholly other meaning altogether), I'll certainly have to look into that new Hands release; they were one of the finest 70s US acts in their specific game (IMHO), and the reformed version of the band have issued some very good material too. The new Advent and (espec) the upcoming Thinking Plague are mandatory as well, of course.

Got my copies of the new records by Stats, Stern (both vinyl only) and Hyrrokkin from Steve F. yesterday, and they're all excellent. Progressive rock alive and well and going, yet not a trace of "symph" whatsoever in there.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Good year for American Prog with Spock's Beard, echolyn, Glass Hammer, IZZ, Neal Morse and a new Thinking Plague in the works? Sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Prog Corner

3 words for U.S. Symph style Prog...

Happy The Man

of course, the U.S. really shined in Fusion style Prog
    Happy The Man was my favorite US band. Until Guided By Voices came along. So good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Prog Corner

My favorite American prog group is still........Kansas. they were a unique band.

This thread inspired me. I decided to make my Sunday afternoon an American Prog session. I loaded my carousel with Kansas - Masque, Djam Karet -The Devouring, Pavlov's Dog - Pampered Menial, (prog debatable, maybe, but I'm from St. Louis), Under The Sun - S/T, Spock's Beard - V, & Starcastle - S/T, (again the St. Louis thang!). It was a nice combination that worked, & The Wife was OK with most of my selections. She struggles with Pavlov's Dog, 'tho, heh, heh, heh!
    Ignorance and prejudice
    And fear walk hand in hand...

and now that calls to mind another very good U.S. Symph artist, Cirrus Bay

Hi…i am finally on PROG EARS! Patric from Built for the Future…aka AVENGER(nerd alert)…..Yes Mpoll, exactly right…the CD's were produced with the idea that few would be interested…i have sold through all that were allocated to shipping sales, there are some in local retailers here in Texas, and a few more earmarked for promotion…
    We were super surprised at the attention and momentum the album received…its really getting generous reaction…like seeing the talk about it in here(thanks guys)….its received several great reviews…lots of prog radio airplay(thanks DJ's)…just amazing reaction.
    we are truly humbled.

i will start a thread about it…i guess that is the smart path to take….so as i expect…two people will reply LOL….

i am still in shock that people are liking the album…takes time to sink in as reality…THANK YOU to anyone who listens.

Patric

The new band Built For The Future's "Chasing Light" get better with every listen (I was lucky enough to get one of the physical copies). I think this is another case of a new artist not realizing how good their work is, and thus underestimating demand. I would think Patric Farrell (the guy behind this project) will order up another batch of CD's soon.[/QUOTE]