Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shorter, Hancock, Mclaughlin to form new fusion group

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The musicians are all great, the idea is good - but I'm pretty sure they will never meet in persons, just play to recordings in different studios. Or eventually meet one day and play to scores whithout rehearsing and playing live. It will never be a band, the interplay will be limited, even if the compositions are fabulous it will most probably be a sterile affair.
    But Santana is talking about touring.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Although not quite of the same caliber the 5 Peace Band toured so there is hope that this one might as well
    I wouldn't say not of the same caliber; the live 2 disc set is killer! Maybe Kenny Garrett isn't Wayne Shorter, but he's quite good and all of those other guys are top tier.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Wow, I've never seen so much hatred for Carlos Santana in one thread. If anything, I'd be worried that the presence of Shorter and Hancock would make the result too jazzy and free-form.
    I don't see any hate for Carlos in this thread except for the OP. And "too jazzy" for who? He's not doing this to increase his popularity and make a lot of money; he's always had great respect for the jazz giants and presumably just wants to be in their company. And it won't be "free-form," trust me!

They've played together before and IMO the results were good - Jazzy but very good

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    When he worked with people like Rob Thomas and Jennifer Lopez it was clear that the style of the recording was dictated by Clive Davis.
    Fixed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but please don't misquote me.

I'm not misquoting you - I'm "fixing" your quote, and made it clear that I was doing so.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yes, Clive Davis' product is now a 'must to avoid'- all those covers albums, duet albums and albums stuffed with famous 'friends', ugh.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes, Clive Davis' product is now a 'must to avoid'- all those covers albums, duet albums and albums stuffed with famous 'friends', ugh.
    I've got no gripes with any of the tracks on "The Ultimate Santana" which credits Clive Davis with production.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    They've played together before and IMO the results were good - Jazzy but very good
    Well ,very nice choruses by Wayne, Ravi, and Chick. But Herbie slays them ALL with his chorus on piano --assertive, compellingly obtuse, beautiful. Wow. Johnny Mac kind of nonhalantly and hesitantly stumbles and sputters through his solo, and his tone is even more uninspiring. What kind of guitar is he playing there? Santana keeps it short and too the point ( notice how the comping got heavier when he took his chorus ).

Note the Genesis drummer backing them up

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Well ,very nice choruses by Wayne, Ravi, and Chick. But Herbie slays them ALL with his chorus on piano --assertive, compellingly obtuse, beautiful. Wow. Johnny Mac kind of nonhalantly and hesitantly stumbles and sputters through his solo, and his tone is even more uninspiring. What kind of guitar is he playing there? Santana keeps it short and too the point ( notice how the comping got heavier when he took his chorus ).

Note the Genesis drummer backing them up
    That pretty much describes most of Herbie's solos. I agree about McLaughlin's tone. He's never exactly been a tonemeister, but that's one of the worst tones I've ever heard him get; thin and plinky. I think it's a Steinberger.

Are you mistaking Dennis Chambers for Chester Thompson?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    That pretty much describes most of Herbie's solos. I agree about McLaughlin's tone. He's never exactly been a tonemeister, but that's one of the worst tones I've ever heard him get; thin and plinky. I think it's a Steinberger.

they are both in this eleventy man band... good stuff though, and Herbie reaffirms his otherworld excellence with me. The greatest Keyboard player who ever lived IMO... and he made some of the greatest Prog albums ever too! Proggers, get Crossings and Sextant if you don't already own them.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Methinks he was making a joke. The Santana keyboard player is Chester Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Sound's good on paper, however, one could argue that Santana's announcements of projects (that never materialize) is somewhat akin to Jon Anderson's Project announcements.
    PS: do not expect: Love, Devotion, Surrender Pt II.
    I will of course keep an open mind & ears...
    This thread about a new jazz-rock "supergroup". I can't see any relationship between this subject and Jon Anderson.
    Some people here (actually, quiet a lot) can't live without kicking Jon Anderson with or without reason... I'm still trying to find out why the fact that he is still alive is so irritating to them? Did he do something bad personally to them? Just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    hmm... I thought I saw a shot of a 2nd drummer beside DC???
    I'll hafta watch it again
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    hmm... I thought I saw a shot of a 2nd drummer beside DC???
    I'll hafta watch it again
    I think there is only one drumset player, Dennis Chambers, plus Raul Rekow on congas, Karl Perazzo on timbales, and then I'm not sure who the trombone and trumpet players are back there with them (the trumpet player also plays cowbell).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Chester Thompson, Dennis Chambers and Raul Rekow have all been gone for awhile now. But they were part of a long-lived lineup, arguably the second "classic" version.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    This thread about a new jazz-rock "supergroup". I can't see any relationship between this subject and Jon Anderson.
    Some people here (actually, quiet a lot) can't live without kicking Jon Anderson with or without reason... I'm still trying to find out why the fact that he is still alive is so irritating to them? Did he do something bad personally to them? Just curious....
    It is a valid comparison and I'm sure everyone else gets it. But yer right, it is low hanging fruit and an old joke by now.

Where is Dennis chambers these days?

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Looks like he's been touring with Maceo Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    He's touring with Mike Stern, probably halfway through the second set at Blues Alley right now.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Chester Thompson, Dennis Chambers and Raul Rekow have all been gone for awhile now.
    But not at the time it was recorded.

In case anybody's confused, there are two Chester Thompsons; the organ player who was in Tower of Power and Santana and the drummer who was with Zappa, Weather Report and Genesis. In case nobody was confused... never mind!

Suspended
    I wasn't confused because I was totally unaware there was another Chester Thompson!

In case anybody's confused, there are two Chester Thompsons; the organ player who was in Tower of Power and Santana and the drummer who was with Zappa, Weather Report and Genesis.
    And they were both in Santana for a short time around 1984.