Thread: Luc Le Masne & Bekummernis Grand Orchestra‏

Luc Le Masne & Bekummernis Grand Orchestra‏

Several years ago I was introduced to the music of the “Bekummernis Grand Orchestra” based in France during the 80s and led by composer/saxophonist Luc Le Masne. This is fairly proggy for big band arrangements (“proggy” in this context defined as mixed meters, interesting harmonic content, etc.) I belatedly realized that Le Masne was active in the 70’s avant prog band Herbe Rouge so no surprise that those influences bled over into his compositions for Bekummernis. Four excellent recordings were produced during the course of the 1980s, some having band members that would later make a mark in the French jazz scene (Louis Sclavis, etc) and current luminaries of the time like John Surman and Mireille Bauer (Pierre Moerlen’s Gong). Good quality musicianship, tight ensemble playing, some strong soloing.

The discography is:

1983 Hommage ŕ Fernand Léger, Ménélas/HM
    1984 NoSi, Ménélas/HM
    1986 Le Cercle De Pierres, Ménélas/HM
    1988 Til C., Ménélas/HM

All these records are unfortunately out-of-print but seem to be available as used CDs or vinyl. Sure would love to see these reissued in a box set with bonus material. There was a time when I would have thought pigs would fly before that happened. But seeing some of the obscure stuff that gets reissued these days I can always hope.

Name checks: Mike Gibbs, Mike Westbrook, Graham Collier, Willem Breuker, Ed Palermo, etc. although this sounds more "French" (naturally). There is one sample on youtube; the first side of the original LP Hommage... LP. Serves as a good introduction for the curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie6ssiUa1uE

Any other fans?

I never heard any of their proper albums, but liked Herbe Rouge (though not enough to keep the LP) and loved LO's "Poly-Sonneries" album even more (that one is still here on original vinyl and not going anywhere). For those who don't know, LO was an experimental folk band that made a few albums in the mid-1970s, "Poly-Sonneries" being their last one IIRC, recorded with the Bekummernis Grand Orchestra. It moves away from folk or even folk-prog into the reams of highly original, idiosyncratic avant-garde music with elements of folk, jazz, rock and modern composition all knit together. Great stuff, and tough to compare with anything else really.

I'd love to hear the proper Luc le Masne / Bekummernis LPs one day.

cf also his records with the chamber ensemble Terra Nova (this is finely orchestrated music, think Gil Evans).
    I've once heard on the radio a piece he wrote for choir (Festival "Présences", circa 1996 ?), does anyone know its title ?