Thread: Dave Willey & Friends & Daevid Allen & Mother Gong

Dave Willey & Friends & Daevid Allen & Mother Gong

Happy Mid-Week Folks...

Had another garage project on a rainy afternoon here in Vermont recently. Grabbed a couple of CD's to keep me company (Daevid Allen and Mother Gong & Dave Willey and Friends) and here are a few words about the listen...

You get Gilli Smyth in all her odd goodness AND Daevid Allen with a slightly different version of his dusted Pixies. This release isn't talked about much when mentioning the 'GONG extended Community' but it is a very nice and quite listenable release.
    If looking for something new to listen to... Please put this one on your list!

Now Mr. Willey is an absolute musical pleasure residing in our Western state of Colorado. You know him from the PE favorite Thinking Plague as well as the band Hamster Theatre. This release.... & Friends... features music written by Willey, Hugh Hopper, TP mates Mike Johnson & Elaine di Falco and featuring also the respected female TP vocalist Deborah Perry. If you like Thinking Plague and the also the Hamsters I think you certainly will enjoy this one too!

Man!... I sure enjoy the 'quirk factor'

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 08-26-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Although I'm totally into mucho Daevid stuph, I must admit to never having heard anything by the Mother Gong carnation.

The Willey & Friends album is brilliant, just brilliant. Like a 'singer-songwriter' take on Thinking Plague's more vocal-based material. But Willey absolutely has a voice of his own. Great singing by Elaine diFalco and Deborah Perry, some awesome guests appearing too. And great friggin' lyrics!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I agree with SS. The Willey and Friends album is an absolute gem. I have it filed with Thinking Plague and it gets played more than any of those CDs.
    There's nowt so queer as folk

I assume you're talking about "The Owl & The Tree" album by DA and MG? I do like parts of that album, just picked it up a few years ago, had never heard it.

Dave's album is fantastic, it's true. Highly recommended

Also, if you've not heard it, here's a shout out for "Three Mice" - another excellent album.

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yup, the Dave Willey and 3 Mice are both excellent, hoping for some more 3 Mice in the future.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.