Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Famous celebrities that you've met

I met John Lennon when I was 9 at the WFIL 'Helping Hands' Marathon in Philadelphia (1974), and talked to him for about 10 seconds. He engaged with me for a few moments as I was the only little guy in the throng....such a sweet man. Having him hold my hand, look into my eyes, and smile is quite a memory.

Almost as good, I met Abbie Hoffman, Gregory Corso, and Allen Ginsberg at the Naropa Institute in Boulder (The Jack Kerouac Conference - 1982?).

Corso was a total madman. I tried to get him to sign my program and he said "No, pink dust", or something.

As God is my witness I met Ginsberg when I ran into him when he was bent over....I found out it was him when he turned around, and I apologized. He said, "Oh, that's QUITE all right, young man" (I was 17). He signed my copy of "Howl". So, my 17 year old crotch was up against Allen Ginsberg's butt.

Gosh, sorry...a couple more....I met Jim Carroll, Timothy Leary, and Kurt Vonnegut Jr, when they came to speak (separately) at the University Of GA.

Gary Green, Giorgio Gomelski, Paul Whitehead, and Dick Parry showing up at various Progdays were also thrills.

Midnight Screening of Pink Flamingo's at John' Hopkins 1979. John Waters and Miss Eddie were in the audience an chatted with us afterward....not a formal chat.....just hanging out in the seats talking to us....... I LOVE YOU Mr. Eggman!
    Last edited by Garyhead; 10-02-2015 at 11:11 AM.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Famous celebrities? That is certainly a tautology.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Ed Sciaky
    I remember him. He was a DJ on WMMR in Philly in the early 70s when I was there in college.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Jose Chepito Arias
    Jorge Santana
    Gloria Estefan
    O.J. Simpson (I shook his hand)

Prolly a few others I'm forgetting.

Sent from my phone....

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Mark Goddard, the guy from Lost In Space. I got dragged to a sci-fi collectibles show and he was running a table selling memorabilia, and at the time he'd been appearing once in a while on a local political talk show that I listened to. Since nobody was at his table, I stopped by and chatted about non-sci-fi, non-tv stuff for a while. What a nice guy. He spent the 90s and 00s working with disadvantaged kids in a town outside Boston. I never even mentioned that I didn't like his show! My wife is a big fan.

Was he Will Smith in the show?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Will Smith wasn't even born yet. You must mean Will Robinson or Dr. Smith (oh, the pain).

He was Major West.

I think it was the same event where I noticed Billy Mumy (Will Robinson) walking around the merchandise area instead of sitting up front where the Dr. Smith guy was charging people a fee to approach him for autographs. Mumy was buying Star Wars action figures and nobody seemed to recognize him, but when I asked my wife if that was him, she said it was. I didn't want to bother him and get sent out into the corn field.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Midnight Screening of Pink Flamingo's at John' Hopkins 1979. John Waters and Miss Eddie were in the audience an chatted with us afterward....not a formal chat.....just hanging out in the seats talking to us....... I LOVE YOU Mr. Eggman!
    D’oh! I actually have a Polaroid™ picture of me with Mr. Waters at an event at San Francisco’s Amoeba Music. He signed my copy of Trash Trio (book of scripts from Pink Flamingos, Desperate Living and the unproduced Flamingos Forever) but refused to sign my friend’s bootleg VHS of Multiple Maniacs. I also met Mink Stole at a screening of Desperate Living (she signed my VHS tape of it, which I still have).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Was he Will Smith in the show?
    Will Smith is "The Artist Formerly Known As The Fresh Prince"

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    O.J. Simpson (I shook his hand)
    I'd wash that if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Will Smith wasn't even born yet. You must mean Will Robinson or Dr. Smith (oh, the pain). He was Major West.
    Yea, I was getting the surnames mixed up. I meant Will Robinson not Dr. Zachary Smith...oooh the humanity!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    As God is my witness I met Ginsberg when I ran into him when he was bent over....I found out it was him when he turned around, and I apologized. He said, "Oh, that's QUITE all right, young man" (I was 17). He signed my copy of "Howl". So, my 17 year old crotch was up against Allen Ginsberg's butt.
    Never witnessed the guy's butt, but [no pun] I interviewed Ginsberg for a full 70 minutes when he visited Bergen (Norway) in 1993 on what was I believe his final reading tour of Europe. I wasn't alone though, having two of my buddies from the anarcho student paper for which I wrote back then. A fourth anarcho buddy even got to take the man out to dinner earlier that evening, as he had work details at Hulen (the student club at which Ginsberg was to have his reading) and sat in the booking committee. Although Ginsberg was a brilliant mind as always when we interviewed him (and chock full of praise at our journal), he was apparently sneering and snarky as hell over a meal.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Never witnessed the guy's butt, but [no pun] I interviewed Ginsberg for a full 70 minutes when he visited Bergen (Norway) in 1993 on what was I believe his final reading tour of Europe. I wasn't alone though, having two of my buddies from the anarcho student paper for which I wrote back then. A fourth anarcho buddy even got to take the man out to dinner earlier that evening, as he had work details at Hulen (the student club at which Ginsberg was to have his reading) and sat in the booking committee. Although Ginsberg was a brilliant mind as always when we interviewed him (and chock full of praise at our journal), he was apparently sneering and snarky as hell over a meal.
    That is fucking cool!

Oh yeah, I met the Brady Bunch kids in 1970! I got a look up Maureen McCormick's miniskirt. I was only 5, but I knew that was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    I got a look up Maureen McCormick's miniskirt. I was only 5, but I knew that was cool.
    You naughty boy!

Ah, now that this thread has come back to life, my next question will be, 'How many PE members have met the same celeb, making that person most popular individual that's on thisweb site?'
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You naughty boy!
    Indeed. Even at 5 years old you knew that seeing a girl's white lace whities was a cool thing...I didn't know at the time that I was seeing one of the Holy Grails.