Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cheerleader pop

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Only if your employer is a complete idiot.
    my current one is cool, but I cannot speak as highly of some of my previous (and now currently non-existent) employers....
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ I have no problem with "teamwork" when it means what it was supposed to be in the first place, i.e. person A helping person B and vice versa, because of them having different skills. I have learned however to be very wary of the expression "team player", especially in job descriptions. A "team player" often seems to be code for someone who williingly stays back in the office until after midnight to get that job done - the reason why it was behind time in the first place having been because the manager or the sales rep stuffed up. Said team player would never be such a dick as to expect to be paid overtime or to get time off in lieu - that's not the right team spirit. Funny how it never seems to work the other way, as in "take the afternoon off with full pay; work load is fairly slack today."

It's not about cheerleader pop I know, so in an attempt to get the thread back on track I'll just mention that I heard something on the radio today by Offspring, and it occurred to me that Offspring are the male equivalent of "cheerleader pop".
    Offspring is one of those bands that started off firing on all cylinders and then at some point became utterly lame....especially with the "Obla-di obla-da" rip off

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I am not keen on "teamwork"-to me it means "Person A will do all the work, but everyone will get the credit if person A manages to have everything done to perfection and person a will take all the blame when it actually fails and spirals into a fiery death".
    Not necessarily. Individuals can be held accountable and others be acknowledged in a "team" environment. Ever hear of MVP, Most Improved, Rookie Of The Year? It all depends on how the company is handled. The company you use for your example shows no forward growth incentive. I wouldn't work there to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Offspring is one of those bands that started off firing on all cylinders and then at some point became utterly lame....especially with the "Obla-di obla-da" rip off
    Perhaps Sugar Ray too
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Suspended
    (jots down "forward growth incentive" for future use)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Not necessarily. Individuals can be held accountable and others be acknowledged in a "team" environment. Ever hear of MVP, Most Improved, Rookie Of The Year? It all depends on how the company is handled. The company you use for your example shows no forward growth incentive. I wouldn't work there to begin with.
    but they occur. I really do not like the "team" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Perhaps Sugar Ray too
    gads, I hate Sugar Ray. I mean, hate as in "the hate with the intensity of a thousand angry suns ripping the shit out of every planet in their systems".

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I am trapped at a convention with a non-stop cheer pop soundtrack.
    Thank goodness for earbuds and a few gig of good music.
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Is it at a company event with a "Team building" headshrinking game plan? If so, Cheerleader Pop is probably quite appropriate.
    I used to play music at those kind of events, we called them "industrial shows." The band was usually in an isolated room with the music conductor/keyboard player getting the cues for what was going on on stage from a headset and monitor. Those gigs paid well, but the music was ludicrous. They'd pick popular tunes and change the lyrics to fit the particular corporation. One was for Sears and they changed the words of Kenny Loggins' "Footloose" to "Everybody shout Sears, shout Sears." Possibly the worst was "We are the world, we are Purina." Oy!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I used to play music at those kind of events, we called them "industrial shows." The band was usually in an isolated room with the music conductor/keyboard player getting the cues for what was going on on stage from a headset and monitor. Those gigs paid well, but the music was ludicrous. They'd pick popular tunes and change the lyrics to fit the particular corporation. One was for Sears and they changed the words of Kenny Loggins' "Footloose" to "Everybody shout Sears, shout Sears." Possibly the worst was "We are the world, we are Purina." Oy!
    I've been to that kind of thing, but in my day we called it kindergarten.

I've been to that kind of thing, but in my day we called it kindergarten.

LOL

the music I am talking about does not need that

Thanks for the Rachel Platten! I'm definitely going to check out her other tunes. I already had the Kelly Clarkson and Taylor Swift albums.

Taking the "Cheerleader Pop" theme literally, and showing everyone just how much things have changed over time, the cheerleaders in my high school during the mid-70s had routines for David Bowie's "1984" and The Edgar Winters Group's "Free Ride".
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Suspended
    We don't have cheerleaders here. At least we didn't last time I looked, and i for one am not anxious for us to adopt that particular American custom.

Thanks for the Rachel Platten! I'm definitely going to check out her other tunes. I already had the Kelly Clarkson and Taylor Swift albums.
    You can't escape that song these days if you go full camo and face paint and disappear into Yosemite.

Suspended
    Scratch that Yosemite plan then... need another plan.

Strange, I never heard of this Rachel platten person, which is odd because I have heard the other two ad nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You can't escape that song these days if you go full camo and face paint and disappear into Yosemite.
    i tried. you are right. it's everywhere. the mocking birds even sing it because it is played so much...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    They'd pick popular tunes and change the lyrics to fit the particular corporation. One was for Sears and they changed the words of Kenny Loggins' "Footloose" to "Everybody shout Sears, shout Sears." Possibly the worst was "We are the world, we are Purina." Oy!
    Good God, that's awful!

Those are all fine pop songs. The problem (at least, 'round these parts) is that they're so grossly overplayed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

That, and also that bloody Katrina and the Waves thing.

I don't demand that all the music I listen to be melancholy and funereal, but squeals of delight in a song make me want to puke.
    Katrina & the Waves were a great band!